Chainsaw recommendations

chrisjpainter

26 minutes ago, haynes said:

Whats so wrong with the 260?  Mines been great. Fitted a low kerf 18" bar in it. It handles it well. 

We have three 260's. they all cut out if idling on anything but a completely flat plain. if you hold them either down or up before starting to cut, the conk out. that and the filler caps are irritating; the locking mechanisms taker a lot of fiddling to get them in place. They're well looked after and they've been stripped and serviced, but they all seem to be the same. 

They do a job, if I have the chance to use something else, I'll take it

31 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

We have three 260's. they all cut out if idling on anything but a completely flat plain. if you hold them either down or up before starting to cut, the conk out. that and the filler caps are irritating; the locking mechanisms taker a lot of fiddling to get them in place. They're well looked after and they've been stripped and serviced, but they all seem to be the same. 

They do a job, if I have the chance to use something else, I'll take it

All to familiar! Have a MS210 doing exact same... stripped and rebuilt. Problem shot the whole damned thing and it still farts about. Been a very reliable saw for the first 10 years, but the last 3... frustrating scrap! Will not have another one - nor Husky, which it replaced!

I actually get on fine with the filler caps, though.

5 hours ago, Gu5 said:

If it's for work, are they going to pay for it and any wear or damage sustained? If the answer is no, I'd just use theirs and put up with any niggles. 

I'd be telling the work to buy a new saw.

My 1 problem with the 550 is the external clutch and to be honest wouldn't buy 1 for that reason.

I like to be able to take the bar off to free a stuck saw (althou it doesn't happen often) and can use the spare bar and chain from my lunch bag, not really an issue if ur always close to a 2nd saw, My spare saws are usually in the van which is often a decent walk away over rough/steep ground.

The spare bar/chain option is handy for the way I work

I bought a cheap wee efco as a small firewood/carving saw and to be honest its a not a bad wee saw (37cc)  and would suit most hobby users well althou possibly a bit light for wot ur wanting in this case

the external clutch is a concern. all very well having an easy access clutch, but it's made access to the drum a more tricky exercise. also one of my friends killed the external clutch whilst doing his training and it didn't appear to be anything specific he did in order to kill it. not sure how durable they are?

On 06/01/2018 at 14:02, chrisjpainter said:

I'm not convinced about electric for felling yet. Fine for domestic use, but for a whole day of dropping trees, I just don't think they're there - yet. 

That's the one that has caught my eye. 

Anyone used an Echo saw? Some of the figures look pretty good on their saws, and my assessor for my exam used one, but it's not a brand i've come across much

I have a large Echo brushcutter and a polesaw (about a 12" bar).  Both munch their way through anything and I've had no mechnical problems over about 5 years. They get a lot of use but I look after them.  Would gladly buy another Echo machine.  I think they are German (?).

40 minutes ago, LeadWasp said:

I have a large Echo brushcutter and a polesaw (about a 12" bar).  Both munch their way through anything and I've had no mechnical problems over about 5 years. They get a lot of use but I look after them.  Would gladly buy another Echo machine.  I think they are German (?).

I think what worries me is the power vs longevity issue. Tomorrow, for example, it's going to be tree felling for most of the day, five or six in the morning, and a few more in the afternoon and I wouldn't be able to go back to base to charge up a dead saw. A saw slowly grinding to a halt mid-fell is not a great idea. Also, I'd be worried about a fade out time where you start to lose power as the batter drains. With petrol, you have everything, then immediately nothing, 30 second fill up and you're back to everything again

2 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

I think what worries me is the power vs longevity issue. Tomorrow, for example, it's going to be tree felling for most of the day, five or six in the morning, and a few more in the afternoon and I wouldn't be able to go back to base to charge up a dead saw. A saw slowly grinding to a halt mid-fell is not a great idea. Also, I'd be worried about a fade out time where you start to lose power as the batter drains. With petrol, you have everything, then immediately nothing, 30 second fill up and you're back to everything again

No batteries - 2 stroke and gutsy.

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Echo are Japanese. 

Thank you!

42 minutes ago, Cawdor118 said:

Aye for when it's cold. It's nice to have the option. 

Is it an option, can you turn them off?

Never understood the need for heated handles as I am usually too hot rather than cold. Each to their own, not criticising.

Used mine today for the first time in a while, beast of a thing but not too heavy.

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

Would people entertain the idea of the S/H market? my chainsaw maintenance is good, so stripping one down to spot flaws wouldn't be a problem, but even so, would others risk it? we do it all the time with guns and I'd never bother with a new kayak these days, can the same rules apply to saws?

It's a different kettle of fish, than a 2nd hand gun. Not much can really go/be wrong with a gun.

Why is a saw being sold? - did it have a problem which has been botched together for sale... How has it been used/abused...

I would rather buy a dead saw than something with an unknown 'running' history - unless you are buying from a supplier/repair shop and know they've given it a full going over. I have bought 3 non runners off eBay and done them up - I get alot of pleasure in honing a cylinder and getting an otherwise dead saw running again. Just found a donor saw to get my relic PS6800i running again so I'm a bit excited

I can't remember it ever being -20 and if it was I would be indoors burning trees not outside cutting them. :)

Someone commented as you get older and arthritic they are a big help, fortunately although I have got older I am not arthritic yet. If you like them then good for you just don't suit me (yet)

Edited by 39TDS