Super Man Flu

marsh man

If any member , or anyone else come to that is suffering from this outbreak of flu then my heart goes out to them .

I developed the early symptoms Monday or Tuesday with just a cold and a sore throat , this didn't bother me to much as I still managed to get down the marsh for two evening flights , although getting cold and wet on one of the nights wasn't really the right medicine .

Things came to a head last night when for one of only a handful of times in 50 odd years I had to ring up the shoot captain to say I wasn't in any fit state to attend todays shoot , which also didn't help me on the road to recovery.

So today having lazed about this morning and being pampered by my wife I am now going to watch one of my new d v ds I got for Christmas.

So to those who are still suffering , good luck and I hope you are over the worst.

17 minutes ago, bluesj said:

On stage 3 now, from the information I've got from fellow sufferers once you star feeling better it all starts again!

Please no !

Without a doubt the worst Ive felt in my life, its flattened me.
The pain in head ,lungs, teeth, kidneys, diaphragm , eyes ! is barely kept at  bay with meds.
The only time I can sleep is when cough exhaustion makes me.
Its going to be big this.

https://flusurvey.org.uk/

Started on New Year’s Day. Extreme shakes and shivers after a day out on Kirkstone Pass. Paracetamols seemed to help but for three nights in a row we had to change the bedding as I’d just sort of melted into the mattress; never known the sweats like it. 

We didn’t go back in til Wednesday but it’s still been a long week. Am just cabbaging on the sofa this weekend; missing out on a days shooting today. 

Took 2 weeks off after christmas to get a list of jobs done that id been ignoring for a while. Felt a bit iffy on our boxing day shoot and ive basically been stuffed since then. Had the whole 9 yard. Toothache, earache, headache, all joints ache, produced snot like never before, choking cough trying to clear lungs. Temperature, especially at night, from molten hot to freezing cold and back again over and over. To top it off also had d&s for two days. Now pulling through, but if i try and do anything remotely strenuous i collapse into a coughing choking snotting mess still.

If this was a holiday, im looking forward to getting back to work. As for rolling about under the motor, thatll have to keep for a bit!

I hope you all get better soon.  Real flu (as experienced here - and not those with just bad cold in most years) is a VERY unpleasant illness and needs to be taken seriously.  Be careful afterwards because it can return with a vengance that can develop into pneumonia if you are not careful.

I've avoided it so far this time - and I hope it stays that way, but I would encourage anyone (in future years) to go to Boots/Tesco/the Doctor and have the jab.  It is far from 100% effective, but having had real flu in the past, I would try almost anything (and spend substantially more than the £13 asked) to avoid it.  In 40 years I only had to take to my bed through illness 3 times - and the longest of those was flu - and I have never forgotten how ill I felt.

33 minutes ago, Davyo said:

Slice up a potatoe and put them on the soles of your feet when you go to bed (socks on ).Your cough will be gone in the morning.

And if not you can always fry the potato up for breakfast with some eggs lol 

where abouts in the country is everyone? 

I’ve never in my life had proper flu and hope it stays that way. 

3 minutes ago, old'un said:

Wimps

Lol, I had my worst illness ever about 12 years ago, I honestly thought I was likely to die and told my daughter where my will was kept.

I was too ill to smoke for 5 days but felt better on day 6 and lit up a ciggy.  As I took the first puff and felt dizzy I thought What The Eff! Five days of not wanting one before using the phone, going out, going to the loo, on the loo ETC.

I chucked the fag and have never smoked since. Some good came from that and a lot more from my kids and grandkids seeing what its done to me and not one of them smokes.

Any other smokers get so bad they become bed bound: Please take the oppourtunity to pack it in while its so easy to get beyond the first couple of days habit of reaching for them.

I don’t think I have ever had the flu, not had a cold for at least 5 years, but strangely enough I had pneumonia when I was 11 and again at 20, must have built-up some resistance to colds and flu, or it’s the copious amount of whisky I get through, or the fags.  

I've had flu 3 times in my life ,and the way to tell if you have the flu ,if someone drops a tenner on the street you would leave it there! Bloke at work on Tuesday said to me I need to go home I feel rough,I thought yea you just don't like the job I've given you ,two days later he collapsed at home and was unresponsive , paramedics diagnosis Flu.

Last had proper flu about ten years back, I had made my peace and was ready for death it was awful. This year all I have had is one brief virus which made me feel rough for 18 hours and has left both me and the better half with coughs that won't settle. Hopefully that will be it for this year, though there are some nasty reports on Australian flu across the border. 

I'm on my third week so far. First week hacking cough, sleeping on towels and changing , next night sleeping in a full Helly Hanson Pola Fleece with shivers. Second week Head cold four blisters on lips and one on nose . Third week cough back and runny nose, head cold.

It would appear that every body you talk to has had it or is devloping it.

5 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

I'm on my third week so far. First week hacking cough, sleeping on towels and changing , next night sleeping in a full Helly Hanson Pola Fleece with shivers. Second week Head cold four blisters on lips and one on nose . Third week cough back and runny nose, head cold.

It would appear that every body you talk to has had it or is devloping it.

Well stop your side of the M5 don’t want it here ;)

Going by some of the above posts I thought mine was bad enough but some of the members have had a rough time when they were struck by the dreaded flu.

I can go years without catching any serious colds but when I do it lay on my chest and can ages to clear up , this time it is something else , with not only my chest playing up , my ribs , joints , sore throat and going hot and cold .

One advantage in living in a bungalow is my wife don't have to go up and down the stairs when I ring the bell :yes:

Last night it was like getting out of my deathbed when I got out to walk my dog walk around our crescent which is 4 / 450 yds, from mine , round in a circle and ending up back at mine , half way round I was just going through the motions and thought about turning back , but as I was half way I wouldn't have got home any quicker than if I had carried on , so I limbered on and as soon as I got back i jumped straight back into my warm bed to face another night of torture  

Third Christmas in the last five years that I've spent the entire time  stuck indoors (mostly in bed) coughing up half a lung.  Doesn't help that I'm immuno-suppressed and work in an office with a bloody closed-loop air-con system.   Dropped off the Xmas bottles to all my five farmers the week before Xmas and promised I'd be on the ground, on the job, over the holiday. Should have known better as have not been able to get out once!  So frustrating when permissions rely on you keeping your word and providing a service.