Super Man Flu

marsh man

7 hours ago, Longchalk said:

Doesn't help that I work in an office with a bloody closed-loop air-con system.  

I used to - and these greatly increase the transmission of viruses as well as drying the eyes and sinuses.  They are very bad for health.

Ours was also kept far too hot in winter (24 to 26 degrees) - and I can't afford (nor do I want) to heat my home to match, so shirtsleeves at the office replaced bt jerseys at home!

Spent most of last week in bed with what has turned out to be one of the worst chest infections I’ve had in years, my emergency supply of antibiotics I keep at home didn’t touch it so grudgingly crawled out of my pit to see the Dr last Wednesday for some stronger ones which seem to be working, was told to revisit today for a follow up.......saw a different GP who ought to consider a career change, executioner maybe! Apparently it’s all my own fault and I wouldn’t have been ill at all if I’d had the flu jab, amazing diagnosis without having read my 37 year history! Be glad when I’ve stopped coughing and wheezing as work has been torture this week, the downside of being self employed and running training courses, cancelling and rearranging them is near impossible at times!

If people were a bit more careful with their hygiene then this flu epidemic would be under more control. I’ve seen people sneeze and cough into their hand and then proceed to shake hands with people! At this time of year when bugs are rife I don’t touch any door handles in public places bare handed, always wash my hands before eating and generally try my best to stay away from sickly people. The most annoying people are the ones that still come out of an evening and proclaim that they don’t feel well but thought they would come along anyway and spread their germs. Selfish. 

This flu - Aussie flu they are calling it - is apparently exactly the same strain as my flu jab. I've been poorly for 6wks (wife is in the 8th wk) although it's annoying never have I felt too ill to work, shoot etc. Started off with aches and pains all over, a bit of a fever and somethings resembling a heavy cold. Now it's a runny nose, cough and sneezing regularly. Just got my sense of smell and taste back. Rather messed up Xmas although we did mitigate symptoms with hot toddies which used up 2 litre bottles of scotch.

5 minutes ago, norfolk dumpling said:

This flu - Aussie flu they are calling it - is apparently exactly the same strain as my flu jab. I've been poorly for 6wks (wife is in the 8th wk) although it's annoying never have I felt too ill to work, shoot etc. Started off with aches and pains all over, a bit of a fever and somethings resembling a heavy cold. Now it's a runny nose, cough and sneezing regularly. Just got my sense of smell and taste back. Rather messed up Xmas although we did mitigate symptoms with hot toddies which used up 2 litre bottles of scotch.

The UK is seeing a mix of flu types circulating including influenza B as well as the H3N2 strain.

H3N2 is not new. It was around last winter too.

This year's flu jab is designed to protect against H3N2 as well as some other strains, Public Health England says typical effectiveness of the flu vaccine is 40-60%, which means that for every 100 people vaccinated, between 40 and 60 will be protected.

roadkill

57 minutes ago, norfolk dumpling said:

That would be Japanese flu then! Apparantly the flu Jab Doesn't protect you from this?

If you start to develop symptoms, take it seriously from the start.

Put yourself to bed with paracetamol and fluids and stay there until you are dead or better. Booze in moderation will help you to feel better, so long as you are drinking plenty of water too. Good luck :good:

I’m no tin-foil-hatter, but the human race is overdue a flu pandemic, so please do your bit and keep it to yourself.

LS

Today was the first day I have had out for 11 days and I didn't realise how weak this flu bug have left me , I was driving on a shoot today and if it wasn't for the comfort of being able to stay in the truck after each drive I would have packed it in at dinnertime and would had to come back home , as it was I just about lasted the day , but only just, for a week my body was bombarded with all the symptoms of full flown flu , then when things began to simmer down my chest and lungs started to crave for air after bouts of coughing and wheezing , at this stage I had to admit defeat and ring up an urgent doctors appointment .

Thinking he would prescribe an inhaler or something all he said after checking me over was it will take its course and I should feel better in a few days time , which in theory I do , but for anyone who is just getting over it, please take it easy for a few days , I know its easier said and done but this has been a very nasty bug and not to be treated lightly .

had the flue jab don't rate it don't think I will have it next year have found a hot toddy makes you feel better 

best man flue best treatment ever   paddy Irish whiskey with cloves  in a slice of lemon a teaspoon of sugar and must be boiling water guaranteed to kill or cure have as many as you like purely medicinal????????    notice I spelt Irish whiskey as Scottish is whisky  ( yuck )

Edited by Saltings