Targetted theft?

rogcal

Symptomatic of the lawless nature of rural England sadly! A generation are operating who have no fear of anyone including the Police and know there is little that will be done even if they are apprehended.

A sorry state of affairs really......

24 minutes ago, Brad93 said:

Gotta be. Followed back from a clay shoot or something like that possibly? 

More likely tipped off by the local petty criminals.

43 minutes ago, sharpeshooter60 said:

what would happen if you faired for your life and family and you got to your guns first and you no what

If the force you used was proportionate to the threat you faced, or believed to face, at 3.30am, in the dark wearing just your pants then you would have a good defence in law. 

59 minutes ago, sharpeshooter60 said:

what would happen if you faired for your life and family and you got to your guns first and you no what

I heard recently that a homeowner, "fearing" for his life, got off with murdering the intruder.

Which didn't sound unreasonable or unusual until i heard the bit about him stabbing the intruder over 50, yes 50 times.

13 minutes ago, kennett said:

If the force you used was proportionate to the threat you faced, or believed to face, at 3.30am, in the dark wearing just your pants then you would have a good defence in law. 

Edit: Quote     https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/homeowner-errol-hanson-who-stabbed-burglar-50-times-is-cleared-of-murder-b203hcwzf

Edited by silver pigeon69

39 minutes ago, silver pigeon69 said:

I heard recently that a homeowner, "fearing" for his life, got off with murdering the intruder.

Which didn't sound unreasonable or unusual until i heard the bit about him stabbing the intruder over 50, yes 50 times.

Edit: Quote     https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/homeowner-errol-hanson-who-stabbed-burglar-50-times-is-cleared-of-murder-b203hcwzf

I was going to comment along the lines of "he didn't get away with murder but just defended himself or his family"

But having read the first few lines I changed my mind. 

He locked the burglar out and then went to get a weapon. Not read what happened in between that and the stabbing but unless the guy had got back into he house I can't see how it isn't murder!

Edd

17 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

I was going to comment along the lines of "he didn't get away with murder but just defended himself or his family"

But having read the first few lines I changed my mind. 

He locked the burglar out and then went to get a weapon. Not read what happened in between that and the stabbing but unless the guy had got back into he house I can't see how it isn't murder!

Edd

I think it was a lot more complex case than those few lines from the Times suggest. The accused was a paranoid schizophrenic for a start:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/15724300._I_had_to_stab_him____Paranoid_schizophrenic_stabbed_drunken_intruder_50_times_in_his_Catford_home__court_hears/

Plus did he get lucky with the composition of a jury in Southwark?

33 minutes ago, TriBsa said:

I think it was a lot more complex case than those few lines from the Times suggest. The accused was a paranoid schizophrenic for a start:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/15724300._I_had_to_stab_him____Paranoid_schizophrenic_stabbed_drunken_intruder_50_times_in_his_Catford_home__court_hears/

Plus did he get lucky with the composition of a jury in Southwark?

It does indeed seem a little more complicated.

However some things are facts.

If you accused went away to get a weapon and then came back to use it then that is pretty much the dictionary definition of murder. He planned to kill the intruder or at least to harm him. 

It does not read, to me at least, that he was under attack or in any danger. But that is only based on the articles quoted above.

If he is found not guilty it would have to be on the grounds of diminished responsibility or whatever the correct term is and surely he would spend the forseable in secure accommdation, basically in prison for his actions.

But that's just my take on it.

I would also point out that I am in no way defending the burglar. Saying that he was drunk and stoned is no excuse and whatever the circumstances I believe that if you enter someone's home you should expect them to retaliate and I don't even think there should be a limit to it. I completely agree with the yanks theory that if you are where you shouldn't be then you can expect to be shot. 

But our laws are different and we have to abide by them.

Edd

But  that wasn't gun related . I would focus on cases with gun involved eg burglar being shot by homeowner.

19 hours ago, 1066 said:

With 1.7 million employed by the NHS and the fact that you have firearms plainly displayed on your medical records I believe this will become a regular occurrence.

That is true I'm affraid and question is what if...? We have 2 options- defend yourself or just get robbed. I remember one case from 2012 :

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/jail-for-burglars-shot-by-homeowner-8180323.html

I remember  it was something very new to me that homeowners were arrested right away and spent 40 hours in jail. As far as I know they eventually left the country after receiving threats from friends of those  thugs.