where about’s are you bud?

old'un

Is it just me being picky or do others feel the same about people not putting where they are from on their profile, not asking for post code and house number just the location, Cambridge, Surrey, Shropshire, Etc will do, at least it will stop the hundreds of posts having to ask “where about’s are you bud” rant over, tin hat on.:oops:

Good point old'un What's the answer? Hard to say. I see only 2 potential reasons- people feel safer being anonymous. They are paranoid about safety (eg. we had  few months ago topic about carrying guns from house to vehicle), or second they just feel safer and are more courageous to behave like an  ***** and more tend to write something harsh.

I can see something similar on the road. Sometimes some people in the vehicle behave very rude and they wouldn't do it in the face to face situation. I don't know. Just my thoughts.

For me at least it's nothing to do with anonymity. A lot of people on here know where I live. It's more to do with not feeling the need to share everything. 

Why don't most use their real photo as an avatar and their real name as a screen name? I don't see any difference. 

2 hours ago, walshie said:

For me at least it's nothing to do with anonymity. A lot of people on here know where I live. It's more to do with not feeling the need to share everything. 

Why don't most use their real photo as an avatar and their real name as a screen name? I don't see any difference. 

Because if you use a real image or your real name it is easy for antis, thieves or anyone who has nefarious motives to trace you!......if people know you are from for instance Shropshire or Cornwall or Birmingham......they would be unlikely to be able to trace you from your location alone!

10 hours ago, walshie said:

If you're that bothered where I live, just ask.  :good:

Exactly, that was the point of my original post, to save people having to continually ask “where about’s are you bud” I am not asking for anything that would tell me your exact location, just the general area, as Panoma1 said, I doubt anyone could trace you from your location alone.

51 minutes ago, old'un said:

Exactly, that was the point of my original post, to save people having to continually ask “where about’s are you bud” I am not asking for anything that would tell me your exact location, just the general area, as Panoma1 said, I doubt anyone could trace you from your location alone.

I don't want anyone to know my location , as soon as they know that I'm from tipton ,they stop speaking to me ?.

4 hours ago, walshie said:

That's  very interesting. Reading an off topic threads..... "I just bought a new gun  +picture".... " I jus bought a new car + picture"... " I just refurbished my bathroom +picture " 

Fascinating, people are very keen to make a second facebook here sometimes but put a location in their profile is a anonymity/security problem.

Edited by Honey Monster

Maybe it's about sharing what you want to share whether that's a lot or a little. 

I'm not one of the paranoid types - far from it. I think it can become an obsession with some, but there are unscrupulous people who could work out a lot about you by reading people's posts or more worryingly, other people's replies to them.

For example, your nickname might be "Jonesie" and others reply to your posts calling you by your real first name, say "Steve". Add that to a post where someone wishes you happy birthday, and your location and all of a sudden they know Steve Jones lives in Macclesfield and his birthday is January 1st.

Obviously Steve Jones in Macclesfield is a bit vague, but Rupert St.John Birtwhistle would be fairly easy to find. :)