Pink with Greys

Novice

Out and about in Cheshire this morning. In the same field as the obligatory Canadas (about 100 strong) there was a smaller party of 6 geese some way off, about 200 yards further on.  These got up and away as soon as I came into view.  5 looked like greylag, which are fairly common around here (although not normally as jumpy).  The sixth appeared to me to be a pink (although I rarely see them in the feather so to speak, although a big group did appear later, although way up and presumably with long distance intentions).

Is it common for the species to mix like that? Think that's the first time I've seen a pink with its paddles on the floor around here. 

The canadas didn't get up until they were nearly stood on. Think they own the place. 

Cheers

49 minutes ago, Novice said:

Out and about in Cheshire this morning. In the same field as the obligatory Canadas (about 100 strong) there was a smaller party of 6 geese some way off, about 200 yards further on.  These got up and away as soon as I came into view.  5 looked like greylag, which are fairly common around here (although not normally as jumpy).  The sixth appeared to me to be a pink (although I rarely see them in the feather so to speak, although a big group did appear later, although way up and presumably with long distance intentions).

Is it common for the species to mix like that? Think that's the first time I've seen a pink with its paddles on the floor around here. 

The canadas didn't get up until they were nearly stood on. Think they own the place. 

Cheers

Could well have been a Pink or even a  White front , with you living in Cheshire I wouldn't have thought a Bean goose but this day and age you cannot rule out any species.

One night I did get a r + l at what I thought were a skein of Pinks , when my dog brought the first one back it was a Pink but the second one had changed species in that short time from a Pinkfoot into a adult Whitefront , so yes it can happen.

where i shoot inland there are always a few grays mixed with pnks

sometimes the grays fly separately and land in where the pinks are feeding; sometimes they just mix in together.

I think this is mostly restricted to the feral/resident grays who live in the reservoirs aroung the area; once they are joined by the pinks, they just start to fly and feed with them

In September, by the estuary, i also see feral grays and canadas roosting on the banks together; 

cheers,

Edited by Continental Shooter