another chainsaw question

mel b3

hiya guys ,

as quite a few of you already know , ive bought a few acres of woodland , on that woodland i have a few windblown trees , that id like to cut into planks and posts , to use myself, for my own projects.

im looking to buy a chainsaw and alaskan mill jobbie , the question is , has anyone got any experience of the xxxpowertools 62cc chainsaw , with 24" bar ?.

before everyone tells me that stihl and husky are better , i already know that they will be massively superior , and i just need a bit of info on the xxxpowertools saw , ive trawled the net and cant find much (either good or bad).

thanks in anticipation.

mel.

I imagine they will be the same cheap Chinese saws you can pick up on eBay, just with a jazzy "xxxpowertools" sticker on. They are usually under powered, vibrate way too much, sometimes just plain dangerous and spare parts are almost impossible to get hold of down the line. 

As with guns, usually better to pick up an older good make, my boss just paid £150 for 2 Stihl 025 and they are brilliant.

7 minutes ago, kennett said:

I imagine they will be the same cheap Chinese saws you can pick up on eBay, just with a jazzy "xxxpowertools" sticker on. They are usually under powered, vibrate way too much, sometimes just plain dangerous and spare parts are almost impossible to get hold of down the line. 

As with guns, usually better to pick up an older good make, my boss just paid £150 for 2 Stihl 025 and they are brilliant.

cheers mate , but have you got any actual experience of the xxxpower tools 62cc saw ?.

53 minutes ago, old'un said:

Hi Mel

Your right there does not seem to-be many reviews on this tool, but it looks like they are well supported in the UK for any spares you may need.

The only reviews I could fined is this, think it’s a US review site….http://misiap.ga/xxx-power-tools-58cc-petrol-chainsaw-20-bar-it-does-a-perfect-job/

They do seem to carry plenty of spares for it , I'm just scared to buy one until I've spoken to someone that has actually laid hands on one.

37 minutes ago, Dougy said:

I think the real test will be under load, keeping the chain sharp would obviously reduce this. Get yourself a few spare chains, nothing worse that going out logging and you fluff up a chain on a bit of barbed wire in the tree.

I was looking at buying one with three cutting chains ,and a couple of ripping chains. To be honest ,I sharpen my own chains , and always carry a spanner and file along with fuel and oil , it's such a pain if you blunt a chain and can't sharpen it on the spot .

Maintenance is the key thing.

I bought a McCulloch in 1990, I didn't look after it at all, in the end I would spend a whole Sunday morning 'getting it going' just to cut a few logs.

I bought a couple of new saws in 2007ish, Stihl & Husqvarna. They get cleaned after every job and I only run them on synthetic fuel (Aspen). Aspen is dear to run saws on a daily basis but I know I can go out to the workshop and pick up any of my saws, be they Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Makita, Partner or McCulloch and they will start 2nd or 3rd pull. Regular fuel 'breaks down' and will also destroy rubber seals/diaphragms in carbs if left in there. 

Going back to the original question, I looked at the advert and it states that it has a Walbro carb fitted, these are fitted in a lot of 'good makes' too.

5 hours ago, mel b3 said:

cheers mate , but have you got any actual experience of the xxxpower tools 62cc saw ?.

I bought a chinese chainsaw a couple of years ago 62cc for 50 quid off fleebay and its a workhorse with a 20" bar. I think it came with 3 chains but still sharpening first one.

It starts first time, its heavy and gready for fuel but spares are easy to get if it breaks. Or chuck it.

38 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I bought a chinese chainsaw a couple of years ago 62cc for 50 quid off fleebay and its a workhorse with a 20" bar. I think it came with 3 chains but still sharpening first one.

It starts first time, its heavy and gready for fuel but spares are easy to get if it breaks. Or chuck it.

Fantastic,  as it's 62cc I'm guessing that it's probably the same saw. I just wanted an honest opinion from someone that has used one of them.

To be honest , it won't be used too often ,as I'll use my still for most things.

My son imports cheap chain saws from e bay the last one i had for £75 was excellent. It was running well until i dropped it. My son was able to get new blades cheaper than a resharpen. 

Now my new replacement is from Stihl. It's made in China so I am hoping it will be as reliable as the last one.

2 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I have just looked on fleebay and they seem to have gone up substantially in price from when i got one.