A-Tec mod

ShootingEgg

A Tech have beefed up their mod recently. The threaded boss that screws onto the barrel of mine came loose and the rounds were clipping it on exit, sending them off line. Fortunately it was a week or so inside the 12 month warranty and after a little firm talking it was changed FOC. The replacement is much more robust.

1 hour ago, Fisheruk said:

A Tech have beefed up their mod recently. The threaded boss that screws onto the barrel of mine came loose and the rounds were clipping it on exit, sending them off line. Fortunately it was a week or so inside the 12 month warranty and after a little firm talking it was changed FOC. The replacement is much more robust.

Surely on an hmr the round would just blow to bits in hitting the mod? Or blow the  mod. 

4 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Sometimes when a pellet or bullet clips the very end of a silencer .It's not the silencer thats at fault. It can be the shoulder on the barrel that the silencer butts up too .So returning it under warrenty isnt gonna solve the issue. 

Just an idea 

And that's why you take the Rifle and Moderator to a renowned Rifle Smith to check BOTH thread on the Rifle and Moderator.

I personally had a New out of the Box Tikka T3 which clipped the Moderator taking my own advice Rifle and Moderator was replaced at no cost to myself

Scenario 1:

You can find that the bore of the barrel isn’t concentric to the outside diameter of the barrel. So if a threading job has been done in concentricity to the outside diameter, then the moderator will be out of alignment with the bore. 

Scenario 2:

The thread may be perfectly concentric to the bore, but the thread hasn’t been relieved or the barrel hasn’t been face square with the bore. I.e. when the moderator is screwed in tight to the face, it would be parallel to the bore but the face isn’t perpendicular to the bore throwing it off

Scenario 3:

The moderator isn’t concentric or faced perpendicularly. 

Scenario 4:

The crown is damaged or hasn’t been machined correctly when the barrel was threaded.

Scenario 5:

A-tec had this problem before, it is cleared for the calibre, but not for plastic tipped ammunition or bullet weights exceeding 70gr

9 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Sometimes when a pellet or bullet clips the very end of a silencer .It's not the silencer thats at fault. It can be the shoulder on the barrel that the silencer butts up too .So returning it under warrenty isnt gonna solve the issue. 

Just an idea 

It was perfect for nearly a year and the replacement is just as good. A defective Moddy. If it had never zeroed then it might have been the thread/shoulder or something else.