Gunsmith defiantly required /recommendations Essex

alastair0903

As it is clear to see my browning black edition 725 is not in the best of shape ??‍♂️ . It had the misfortune of falling over in a gun rack in the front of a gun bus , in its slip . I managed to shoot the first drive (30 shots! ) without even noticing . 

I hope it can be repaired but have had mixes opinions from anyone who has seen it . Whilst it is in for a repair I was hoping the whole stock / Fore end could be re finished ,  chequering sharpeded up and the gun serviced . You never know I could be tempted to get the stock made adjustable . 

I have never had to get any work like this done on a gun ( especially not in Essex ) would like some recommendations of trusted gun smiths please. 

Thanks for looking 

EB188CE5-B343-4C70-87B0-FEEA1093D1F0.jpeg

Blimey! You shot it 30 times without noticing that.

don’t know much about Brownings but is it possible to buy a new stock off the shelf? Don’t think a repair will work as the brake is in a place where the gun will take some hammering, but good luck if you go the repair route.

6 minutes ago, oowee said:

Ouch. Reminds me of when i dropped the rifle in the bath :unhappy:

Ok, what was you doing with your rifle in the bath, the mind boggles. :hmm:

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Time to put in a claim for a new stock then.

I might have to look into that , do not like going down insurance route as my no claims will be knackered .

Really would like to keep that stock as it was the whole reason I brought that gun . All the more modern black editions look a lower grade of stock . The gun is one of the first black editions so at the time was the highest grade 725 avalible . 

However do appreciate it will be bloody difficult to repair and will be liable to break any again  

7 minutes ago, old'un said:

Blimey! You shot it 30 times without noticing that.

don’t know much about Brownings but is it possible to buy a new stock off the shelf? Don’t think a repair will work as the brake is in a place where the gun will take some hammering, but good luck if you go the repair route.

Never noticed until the second drive , had to get a lift back to the first drive to pick up the rest of my stock . Was a good drive , shot some cracking hen pheasants with my gun in that state . In the rush of a good drive I just never looked at it or noticed somehow ?

4 minutes ago, silver pigeon69 said:

Is it covered on home insurance? Neighbour dropped his and got a new stock on his insurance.

Not sure it is , anyone have a rough idea of price of a stock ? I take it the stock and fore end will have to be changed together to match ? 

Edited by alastair0903

15 minutes ago, alastair0903 said:

I might have to look into that , do not like going down insurance route as my no claims will be knackered .

Really would like to keep that stock as it was the whole reason I brought that gun . All the more modern black editions look a lower grade of stock . The gun is one of the first black editions so at the time was the highest grade 725 avalible . 

However do appreciate it will be bloody difficult to repair and will be liable to break any again  

Never noticed until the second drive , had to get a lift back to the first drive to pick up the rest of my stock . Was a good drive , shot some cracking hen pheasants with my gun in that state . In the rush of a good drive I just never looked at it or noticed somehow ?

Oh, you can keep the stock, although probably not on the gun, it has broken at the weakest point and will require replacing, go to the shop where you bought it and seek their assistance.

If you have one made about £2500 to £3500 depending on the wood and who you take it to.

I am sure someone will know, but I think Browning make their stocks on CNC machines and with a small amount of fitting they will fit any browning gun of the same model.

Edited by old'un

If it was.mine I'd take it or send it by RED to Tim Greenwood. Think He's now located in the Midlands. He or another reputable gunsmith will probably be able to do an invisible repair. The wood glues available today ate stronger than the surrounding wood and as there in a good size area which looks clean won't even need pinning. 

Also I'm not surprised that you shot it for 30 shots. On a stock bolt fixing all/ most of the recoil goes through the back of the  action where the bolt is screwed not the cheeks. 

I had a DT10 do he same. Cost me £30 to fix. 

Edited by Paul1440

Justin Riseley at Nuthampstead is incredible value and bloody good at his work. He dealt with a cracked stock for me in December. It was a decent price and he was quick. He also knows his stuff about gun fit. Definitely worth a trip up from Essex, but do call him to see if it's a day he can used Nuthampstead shooting ground if you want to test it. 07803 521716

I am a hobby shooter but world champions trust Justin with their guns. 

I would.have recommended Don Custerson but I hear he only does repairs for a few old client now. 

35 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

Justin Riseley at Nuthampstead is incredible value and bloody good at his work. He dealt with a cracked stock for me in December. It was a decent price and he was quick. He also knows his stuff about gun fit. Definitely worth a trip up from Essex, but do call him to see if it's a day he can used Nuthampstead shooting ground if you want to test it. 07803 521716

I am a hobby shooter but world champions trust Justin with their guns. 

I would.have recommended Don Custerson but I hear he only does repairs for a few old client now. 

Justin has done work for me and can highly recommend him too. Best thing is to let him have a look at it and work out where to go from there, either repair or replace.

There's another thread on the go regarding custom made stocks and that might be food for thought. This is the one  "New or Used Shotgun Fitting".

Edited by PhilR