Gunsmith defiantly required /recommendations Essex

alastair0903

• 4 weeks later...

Off to see Jim with my gun on Saturday, will just be glued for now. But in reality is going to have to have a new stock as I will just not be happy with it any other way. Would it be easier to just buy a grade 5 stock and forend from browning ?

On 13/01/2018 at 00:31, Green hornet said:

Get in contact with uk gun repairs and Take the stock off and send it to them.They did an amazing job to mine and u can’t even tell.

Will they really be able to make it look it was never broken?

8 hours ago, alastair0903 said:

Off to see Jim with my gun on Saturday, will just be glued for now. But in reality is going to have to have a new stock as I will just not be happy with it any other way. Would it be easier to just buy a grade 5 stock and forend from browning ?

Probably not now as you continued to shoot it.  

9 hours ago, alastair0903 said:

Speak to old farrier, he got his stock and fore end fitted abroad including his holiday cheaper than grade 5 wood from browning.  

On 11/01/2018 at 18:59, Terry2016 said:

Tragedy ... New stock on the Bay for £300, i wouldn't want it repaired to be honest..

good luck

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Browning-725-Sporter-Stock-12G/122784673468?hash=item1c96896ebc:g:sEYAAOSwjZJZ-Ito

Saw that stock sold already. Not surprised as they are £300.00 new +vat trade. Just replaced one and had another in Tuesday with same break as yours. Not a 725 but a Miroku.

Ideally the stock needs replacing, however I do repair them depending on the wood condition. (oil soaked, etc,) A properly fitted Browning/Miroku stock bears hardest at the back of the action/chassis where the stock bolt screws into hence you being able to shoot it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had my Browning Ultra crack right through the stock at the wrist when I fell on some ice a few years back. Took it to Eastern Sporting at Great Baddow who sent it to their mender and he glued it back seamlessly for £50. That was 7 or 8 years ago and the gun's fine and you have to look damn hard to see the join.

9 minutes ago, Fatcatsplat said:

I had my Browning Ultra crack right through the stock at the wrist when I fell on some ice a few years back. Took it to Eastern Sporting at Great Baddow who sent it to their mender and he glued it back seamlessly for £50. That was 7 or 8 years ago and the gun's fine and you have to look damn hard to see the join.

That will have been Ladbrook & Langtons. I hear that they now have a lad in the shop who used to work for Watson Bros. the south London Gunmaker.

Edited by Penelope

On 2/20/2018 at 21:24, alastair0903 said:

Eastern sporting are my closest shop, looks like Jim has done o good job of mine for £30. 

How did you get on with the stock, assuming you have shot it since?

I work with wood and this post damn near broke my heart.  Its fair to say that glue can very often be stronger than the wood itself, all depends on how its done.

If it fails again, send me a PM.  There are ways and means of joining solid wood which will look seamless even if there are small amounts of material missing along the joint.  I wouldn't take the work on myself but I can advise on what you should be expecting to see as a finish.

Lets hope it doesnt need any further work anyway.  All is well that ends well.