Wedding present

Bigbob

If you get invited to a all day wedding and instead of a present the bride and groom ask for money as after they recieve it there deciding where they go on there honey moon with the amount , how much do you give them ? , the cost of the present you would of gave them ? the cost of your lunch and dinner as its a all day affair ? Help ?

Thanks i thought about the cost of what i would of spent on a present but that seemed tight then came to about £100  then thought about the cost of paying for the meals and it came to £100 -£150  , But then there's two of us all day so do you double it ?. 

Why can they  no just live in sin :lol: but them what do you give them if they have everything for there house ?.:lol:

Work out what you’re going to eat and drink (do some spade work to see if it’s a free bar) and pay that for starters, and then go gift element on top.

Either that or find the biggest present on the gift table, take the tags off it and then tape your best wishes card on to it

Only give money if it's anonymous! If it is not.........it's as if your having a gun held at your head! Trying to shame you into being over generous!....and they'd get a fiver! Lol!

When I tip a keeper after a good day, I press the money into his hand, whilst thanking him and shaking his hand.......I would feel insulted if he then started counting it in front of me!

comparing it to how much the food or drink has cost is the wrong way of looking at it, would you give someone more money if the event was held at the Ritz compared to the village hall? They have invited you as they want you there not because they want you to foot the bill. Asking for money is becoming more common though as traditionally you would buy people house gifts but most people have their houses now by the time they get married and having an extra week in the Maldives is more appealing than another set of cutlery or some nice vases.

I reckon £100-200 depending how close you are is about right as a full day guest.

Edited by ferguson_tom

If they're friends give what your comfortable with and can afford, friends wouldn't want you to be skint on their behalf, I would have thought 50 is achievable for most if your on 60k a year dig the hell deeper if your on a low income a tenner means a lot as regards a huge some and appearing flash, how would anyone know other than the recipients, therefore not flash.

5 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Only give money if it's anonymous! If it is not.........it's as if your having a gun held at your head! Trying to shame you into being over generous!....and they'd get a fiver! Lol!

When I tip a keeper after a good day, I press the money into his hand, whilst thanking him and shaking his hand.......I would feel insulted if he then started counting it in front of me!

Agree

Depends entirely on how much your earning and your own expenses ... 

gice what you can afford. £50-100 seems around rights although I don’t know about bringing a guest. 

Seems a bit tight if at your own wedding you expects guests to “cover the cost of their meals and then some”. 

If someone wants a bloody fancy super duper expensive wedding that’s up to them. 

Best wedding I ever went to was 15 mins in the registry office and then down the pub for an all nighter afterwards. 

My mate said to everyone he didn’t expect gifts but whatever you could afford is much appreciated. 

Seems we are heading towards Eastern European tradition as they ask for cash only and expect the wedding costs to be covered plus earn some.

Always a difficult subject to get right, I think presents are best but at the end of the day times change and traditions move on.

I’d happily give cash as long as it was anonomys , otherwise I wouldn’t be happy really. Of course people will judge you ( unless really genuine people) on what you give and some people can not think about giving hundreds where as others who are on low incomes wouldn’t be able to afford much.

P.S- on that subject I was invited to a Croatian wedding once. On the invite was a “cost” . €220/ person. With that and hotels and planes it would have cost me €700-900 for 2 nights away so I made my excuses and sent a present. Think I was only there to make up numbers as they had around 200 guests. Do the maths..

On a similar tack, it really irks me when various charities get a 'celebrity' to front up their appeals on TV asking for a fixed donation of £5 for example for their cause!.......I bet many people conclude, if they do not accept a donation of £1, £2, £3 or £4???........they can **** right off!