Wedding present

Bigbob

On 08/01/2018 at 21:58, team tractor said:

My wedding will be cheap cheap  

Same.

I went to a mates wedding lat year who did their wedding on the cheap too, sheep shed done out with straw bales and tables with the meal cooked by her mum. Most expensive part must have been the suits, dress and church. Best wedding Ive been too. They are the type of couple who where just glad we were there to share their day (my daughter was their flower girl too). They didnt expect much from any one and were very grateful with £20 from us as a small gift. We dont earn much so was what we could give.

My wedding was the same, cheap day but enjoyed by everyone. We were grateful for what ever was given to us not matter how big or small.

Does seam to be the way now asking for money instead of gifts, but then we live together first, make our homes then wed. So what can anyone buy newly weds that they dont have.

We had a cheap wedding. Got married early in the morning at the registry office and had a blessing and party in the evening. Decked out a village hall ourselves, my mum did the catering, her dad paid for the bar, we had a mad guitar man we’d seen a couple of times before who pretty much played all night. We had a combined ceremony/party so you didn’t have the staggered awkwardness of day/evening invites. We danced and drunk till 130 before the music had to go off. Everybody was dancing till the early hours even the coffin dodgers ?

I think this new fad for money is terrible next they will be making folk pay for there own meal. I recently had to endure a wedding and I gave what I would have spent on a present and gave it anonymously. I do not see what other criteria matters definitely nothing relevant about cost of food and drink.

I hate weddings.....especially any of mine ? 

This is one thing that puts me off marriage, I genuinely feel awkward recieving gifts and I'd feel a right spoilt toe rag if i specified what I wanted from those attending my wedding. Any gift or act of kindness should be appreciated not demanded.

I gave someone a couple hundred towards their wedding for their honeymoon, received money off dozens of folk and never even got a text to say thank you. Not that I did it for that but I've always thanked anybody for anything.

They didn't even get chance to go on a honeymoon before one of them was unfaithful which eventually lead to divorce. Wont be getting anything from me at the next one except for a slow cooker I won and need rid of.

Edited by Matty89

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

"My mum did the catering, her dad paid for the bar" that was very nice of your grandfather! :beer: Lol! Well that's how I read it!!

OK.......I'll get me coat!

? no Panoma my dearly beloveds father. Mothers catering involved opening a lot of packets of bookers posh party food and making it looking pretty. 

On 10/01/2018 at 15:54, ips said:

I think this new fad for money is terrible next they will be making folk pay for there own meal. I recently had to endure a wedding and I gave what I would have spent on a present and gave it anonymously. I do not see what other criteria matters definitely nothing relevant about cost of food and drink.

I hate weddings.....especially any of mine ? 

The worst payment wise, has got to be where the wedding is held abroad, usually conveniently at the Bride and Groom's honeymoon destination.

On 09/01/2018 at 11:13, panoma1 said:

On a similar tack, it really irks me when various charities get a 'celebrity' to front up their appeals on TV asking for a fixed donation of £5 for example for their cause!.......I bet many people conclude, if they do not accept a donation of £1, £2, £3 or £4???........they can **** right off!

I had colleague go to wedding in the Caribbean. Cost a fortune to get there for the week. Not sure I would have done it, definitely would expect other to come to my wedding if was abroad.

1 hour ago, TriBsa said:

The worst payment wise, has got to be where the wedding is held abroad, usually conveniently at the Bride and Groom's honeymoon destination.

Why’s that? I had my wedding abroad and it was ace, those that could come came those that couldn’t didn’t. Also had a party at home when we returned in the local con club and those that didn’t come had the opportunity to come worked out well for us, you’ll never please everyone :D

On 1/9/2018 at 11:13, panoma1 said:

On a similar tack, it really irks me when various charities get a 'celebrity' to front up their appeals on TV asking for a fixed donation of £5 for example for their cause!.......I bet many people conclude, if they do not accept a donation of £1, £2, £3 or £4???........they can **** right off!

Absolutely. I wonder how many donations they lose out on altogether? I reckon they must lose overall but maybe it works with less admin than loads of smaller donations.

I'm not a fan of money as a gift, but it makes sense really. I'd rather get myself something we wanted rather than getting His and Hers towels and a spicerack,. 

When I got married 1st time we had 2 types of gifts.

1 type seemed to be from the local bring and buy stall ,  EPNS cake stand, fruit bowls and plastic picnic set. Oh and the Toaster, Oh ! Not to forget the Capi Di Monte plaster of Paris figurines  and a large array of other tat

And the other, kind were useful items that had a little thought prior to spending hard earned. 

Things have changed allot since the olden days. I married again 10 years this year, an inexpensive day at the registrar a meal with family followed by a few drinks at the pub were we had our 1st date. No money behind the bar and no food, I don't pay for other people to get drunk. 

We had a brill night with a fair number of friends who turned up because they wanted to, not for freeby's.

How much would I chuck in for a wedding present ??? B all !!!. If I was invited it would be because they wanted me to be there not whtvi could give them. My company is worth more than any amount of money. Lol

38 minutes ago, Dougy said:

1 type seemed to be from the local bring and buy stall ,  EPNS cake stand, fruit bowls and plastic picnic set. Oh and the Toaster, Oh ! Not to forget the Capi Di Monte plaster of Paris figurines  and a large array of other tat

And the other, kind were useful items that had a little thought prior to spending hard earned. 

Things have changed allot since the olden days. I married again 10 years this year, an inexpensive day at the registrar a meal with family followed by a few drinks at the pub were we had our 1st date. No money behind the bar and no food, I don't pay for other people to get drunk. 

We had a brill night with a fair number of friends who turned up because they wanted to, not for freeby's.

How much would I chuck in for a wedding present ??? B all !!!. If I was invited it would be because they wanted me to be there not whtvi could give them. My company is worth more than any amount of money. Lol

I have been to a couple of "give money" weddings,

I give what I can afford, if they they think I'm tight then so be it, 

One was anonymous, you put your gift in an envelope and they had a post box looky likey thing.....they never knew who sent what, that's the way it should be, 

The  other went in a money wallet with my name on, they are now divorced but we are still friends so it must have been enough ?

I don't mind weddings as such, it's the night time do I'm not a fan of.....I get bored at them so tend not to go to the evening stuff.

I'm of an age now where it's nieces and nephews that are getting married so it tends to be full of yoofs.....

Bah Humbug

:shaun:

4 hours ago, Dougy said:

Hmmm so I’m going have think about your invite ;) lol . 

I wouldn’t want anything really . 

My view is between £200-£300 being they are good friends and your gift is from two of you. It also depends on your circumstances, if money is tight, then whatever you are comfortable with. 

Disagree with views on anonymous  envelopes, just put in what you think is right, why should writing your name on your gift matter? 

As above you lived together for three years and say your still close friends. But only if you can afford it don’t go big if you really can’t afford it. 

If your as close as you say speak to them about it.  Give them s call and say you were going to slip a fifty in an envelope but didn’t want to appear to flash :lol: then ask what they think should be gifted, nothing like putting them on the spot.