Kwik fit

Bigbob

I got a call on Friday morning saying that the security car on campus had a puncture and would i call kwik fit to  change the tyre I phoned and they replied if they didn't get on campus before 5 .30 pm they would try to get out on Saturday , About a hour later i  got a phone call saying they couldn't manage that and would book me in on Monday am . I said thanks but no thanks its a security vehicle  and night shift would need it to patrol the campus that made no difference so i phoned Arnold clark  who its leased from and the AA where on campus with in the hour changed the wheel and the driver took it to the local Kwik fit and got the tyre replaced . The last time this happened Kwik fit sent a van from the Scottish borders to replace the wheel ,

No sure if there's no enough staff at Kwik fit or if the companies in trouble but waiting 3 days to change a tyre there having a laugh 

The campus is in Edinburgh . No Health and safety wont let anybody replace a wheel  all vehicles on campus are leased and they all have the same contract / health and safety agreement . Its crazy but if a bulb goes they go to the dealer or Arnold clark  great if the system works 

49 minutes ago, johnnytheboy said:

Does it not have a spare? couldn’t you have just put that on? 

5 hours ago, Bigbob said:

The campus is in Edinburgh . No Health and safety wont let anybody replace a wheel  all vehicles on campus are leased and they all have the same contract / health and safety agreement . Its crazy but if a bulb goes they go to the dealer or Arnold clark  great if the system works 

1 minute ago, Fisheruk said:

Take it off the campus, change the wheel. Then drive back on campus - sorted.

Its a University? owned vehicle, any staff member would be breaking (stupid) health and safety rules regardless of where the vehicle was. (probably nothing to do with HSE, just the Uni's rules, mis -interpretation of HSE regs!)

19 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Think its got the bottle filled with foam its totally crazy but if you change the wheel and something happens on the way to the garage its your fault and its a disciplinary offence  so for your own peace of mind you dont touch them 

And believe it or not the same policy is used on lease vehicles in the military!!

An employee tried changing a wheel for a works car a few years ago and managed to drop the car on themselves (poor ground conditions lead to jack shifting and was also not on designated lift point).

As employer hadn't trained employee, employer was held to be negligent (liable) and HSE officers all over had a collective fit.

The fall out is that unless you are trained to do so, employees are now prevented from changing wheels.

Edited by Stonepark

i work for a local authority , and the only thing that the drivers are allowed to do to the vehicles , is fill up with fuel/ad blue.

im not even allowed to top up my washer bottle on my vehicle , the fact that i was a mechanic for 15 years means nothing.

it all stems from the , where theres blame theirs a claim, culture.

20 minutes ago, johnnytheboy said:

I couldn’t work somewhere such a policy existed I’m afraid! The country will grind to a hault one day with policy like this! 

It fair makes you despair eh!

All policies such as those stated above achieve is to reduce everyone down to the level of the lowest common denominator, which is pretty much idiot level.  We are ever so slowly inching our way to becoming an unthinking nation of dullards.  You must not think or act for yourself when policy does your thinking for you.

58 minutes ago, johnnytheboy said:

I couldn’t work somewhere such a policy existed I’m afraid! The country will grind to a hault one day with policy like this! 

thats exactly what i would have said a few years ago , but things like this are creeping into everyday life , an inch at a time . the whole of society is changing and its impossible to avoid  , im a bit of a dinosaur and sometimes struggle to keep up.

can anyone remember when it was perfectly acceptable to carry a knife in their pocket ?, or when you could buy cymag ?, or when we could be trusted to do a million other things , with only common sense as training ?.