Home Brewing

Rossco89

Just now, haynes said:

Get a barrel. My first few brews were bottled but cleaning and sterilizing was such a faff. 

But the beer is better from the bottle and keeps better imo, its not hard once you have a system and are disciplined, a quick swill and shake straight after pouring and immediately on to the bottle tree ready for sanitising.

Theres not too much you need to do to a kit, as mentioned sanitising is very important, get some star san(no rinse sanitiser). You can brew it short by a litre or two or add some dme to up the final punch. some recommend using a better yeast than that supplied with the kit, safale 04 is what i use for all my brewing.

Oh and dont follow the instructions :lol:. I leave it in the fermenting vessel for 2-3 weeks, then batch prime and bottle then back to where you fermented(same temp) for another 2 weeks then move to the cold until you can wait no longer, time and patience are your friend. 

That' fine Ollie. My uncle went the whole hog with two barrels under pressure with pub style taps. He liked a drink. I put Cider into bottles to condition for longer. Well summer at least. 

The safale yeast makes a real difference tho. Only just found this out. 

Edited by haynes

I have never done any kits but i do make elderflower champers and damson vodka each year both of which are very agreeable. I have put a link to my thread, let us know how your brew turns out, hopefully it will be a gooden. I have had some disasters over the years.

Keep everthing clean and follow the instructions and you should be imbibing in no time :beer:

Edited by 7daysinaweek

14 hours ago, Mungler said:

Nice darts there 

Cheers Mungler, wish i was as good a shot with me gun :lol:

14 hours ago, Ollieollie said:

Elderflower champers sounds nice 7 days, do you dish it out further afield . I would be grateful if you PM'd me the method/ingredients

Hi Ollie it does not travel well, it is a little unstable/fizzy and can be a bit explosive when opening the plastic bottles. (you would be advised to watch my exploding glass bottle video that is why i use plastic)If you click on the link below the picture (very agreeable) and scroll to the last video at the bottom of the page you can watch the 8 short videos i made. These are a complete instruction on the ingredients and complete process start to finish and then drinking. It is a wonderful brew and once you start making it you wont stop. the other videos show what it is like on opening after brewing.

atb

7diaw

22 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

I have never done any kits but i do make elderflower champers and damson vodka each year both of which are very agreeable. I have put a link to my thread, let us know how your brew turns out, hopefully it will be a gooden. I have had some disasters over the years.

Keep everthing clean and follow the instructions and you should be imbibing in no time :beer:

bottling is a real pain! I have 4 x king kegs, which make life easier, keep an eye on popular auction site you can pick them up second hand for about £25. remeber to change the band seals on the valves regularly as they perish. I would also advise you go for the large gas bottles as oposed to the pin type, as when the beer starts to run out of gas from the secondary fementation in the barrel it needs an injection of CO2 to force the last few pints out of the barrel. wooodfords kits are good, you can get them in Wilko at the moment for £18. 

• 2 weeks later...

I use bottles. Wash in soapy water, rinse, then stack in the oven to dry at about 150 degrees. Definitely improves with age.

I tend to use kits but often with a little modification. Usually you can get a good bit more from them than the instructions suggest by using the malted sugar substitute and adding extra water. Currently I am drinking a raspberry wheatbeer that started as a wheetbeer kit but gained a few kilos of raspberries pressure cooked to sludge then added with a little extra sugar also. Next time however i will just add a couple of bottles of the raspberry syrup from the polish corner of tesco as it still needs a very small drop to get the flavour the better half wanted.

Next will be a cider kit but likely with some elderflower cordial added, aiming for something fizzy and suffolk style but with the hint of elderflower. 

I have made from scratch before but i was never convinced the extra effort was rewarded (bar one year when i was given about sixty kilos of apples), lacking a press i essentially made apple sauce and worked from there to good effect.

I have only ever used tap water.

Edited by Wb123

I've had some brews that have taken a long time to mature so don't despair straight away if it hasn't gone right.  I find mine normally take several weeks to be ready, much more than they say and I had one which I was drinking up out of the way and then at somewhere over 12 months old it turned so bootiful I didn't want to finish it, savouring and cherishing my diminishing stock.

On 23/01/2018 at 19:06, Wb123 said:

I use bottles. Wash in soapy water, rinse, then stack in the oven to dry at about 150 degrees. Definitely improves with age.

I tend to use kits but often with a little modification. Usually you can get a good bit more from them than the instructions suggest by using the malted sugar substitute and adding extra water. Currently I am drinking a raspberry wheatbeer that started as a wheetbeer kit but gained a few kilos of raspberries pressure cooked to sludge then added with a little extra sugar also. Next time however i will just add a couple of bottles of the raspberry syrup from the polish corner of tesco as it still needs a very small drop to get the flavour the better half wanted.

Next will be a cider kit but likely with some elderflower cordial added, aiming for something fizzy and suffolk style but with the hint of elderflower. 

I have made from scratch before but i was never convinced the extra effort was rewarded (bar one year when i was given about sixty kilos of apples), lacking a press i essentially made apple sauce and worked from there to good effect.

I have only ever used tap water.

Turbo cider is good