Pcp scope preferences

Mag7

Hi all,  I'm new to this forum and would like to know what scope under £200 would be a good addition to my AAs510 fac. I currently have a Nikko Stirling mountmaster 4-12x50 AO. I'm relatively new to air gunning so the Nikko is the first scope I've had.  I understand its a budget scope. I won't be target shooting,  just vermin from 20 to 70 yards.  I've had decent success with the set up I have but maybe a new scope would improve things.  What are other members here using?  Thanks Mag 7

Hi and welcome, wouldn't class £200 as a budget scope, have a look at the thread I did on second hand scopes, I got some good advice off the guys on here.

the choice these days is mind bogling, I have a tasco varmint 8*24*44 and a Simmons 3.5*10*50.

something you could look at is illuminated recticle, side focus.

And have to ask as its a rule what calibre are you shooting.177 or .22

mice!

Red is my .22 fac with a 1.8 inch scope height

Blue is my .177 fac with a1.8 inch scope height

And pink my. 25 fac with a 2.7 inch scope height. 

You will notice they are all hawke sr6  scopes. Set on their max settings 16 x and 12 x. 

The rets work out in perfect 5 yrs increments. This was the best (imo ) reticule ever made .if you can find one hold on to it. I have about 7 scopes with sr6 rets  .so a 4-16 x50 sr6 scope is what you want .

They did them in airmax and sidewinders

Best of luck. 

IMG_20180108_184755.jpg

IMG_20180108_184820.jpg

IMG_20180108_184842.jpg

Ps calibre doesnt really matter so much as your gonna shoot any pellet between say 860 and 910 fps. And the above ret will work for all pellets in this range (and slower too. ) just a little tweek of the mag will get u spot on. 

Ps as you see the .25 cal. Works in 7.5 yard intervals not 5 yd  

hello, i can never see the point in paying that amount for a scope on an air rifle where i only shoot max 50 yards, i would go for a hawke Vantage 3x9x40,3x9x50, if you think the AO and red/green is something you would find usefull, you can buy for about £90, and Hawke scopes have a very good warranty as do Debens customer service.  PS i also have the rimfire hawke scope, zero to 50 yards and use the reticule markings to 100 yards,  note that said about the vantage i think the discontinued hawake HD sport are better scopes

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

9 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I shoot my .25 out to 90 yds 

50 yds is far from the limit of my fac airguns. 

Good glass certainly helps at range , dusk and when the kill zone is very small 

hello, sorry i did not see FAC on mag7s post, i was thinking a sub 12 air pcp, but even those scopes i mention would suffice to 100 yards,

I use a Light Stream, Sadly discontinued. With a high price tag,  over 400 I’m able to use it in low light, without any trouble whatsoever. Also love the first focal plane.

Desent glass too. If you can find a second hand one worth a look.

your asking what people are using. Trouble is once you look through a decent scope. You will be wanting one. 

8 hours ago, Flyboy1950 said:

I used that particular scope on my .223Rem for years and never had any complaints!

I'm happy to read the above but in saying that I've never even looked through another scope. The cross hair on the Nikko is quite thick on small game over 50 yards I think.

I'll have a look at the hawke range at the shooting show in Feb. 

5 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

I have a couple of Hawke 2-7x32 on sub 12ftlb air rifles and for £120 they are really good VFM.

Hawke_Riflescope_Airmax_2-7x32.jpg

Thanks,  but magnification is a bit low I think. 

On 22/01/2018 at 16:46, .20 Hunter said:

I would put the Lightstream up against, your Hawke no trouble. 

Not having used a Lightstream I've no idea how good or bad they are. I mealy offered a considered opinion of a product I find performs exceptional well at its price point.