Holidays recommendations

foxnet22

It's her indoors 50th this year and she's wanting a holiday in either spain or Portugal. She ain't really into just sitting on beech all day she likes to do a bit sight seeing .old towns etc and maybe relax on beech later in day .we've never been to either country's so any recommendations  on where to go .

38 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Not Spain or Portugal but Italy!........Sorrento, Capri and the Amalfi coast!

I'd agree with this, I lived in the Algarve for a while and went back a few years ago and it was pretty poor, I've been to Lake Garda mountain biking the last few years and i would definitely recommend it (Italy not mountain biking :D ).

Tossa de Mar, lovely unspoilt resort, lots to see and do, if you like eating out you will be spoilt for choice and quality, one large beach and one small beach the other side of the ancient castle (worth a walk around) try to get a flight to Girona airport 30 minute transfer by taxi, the trip from Barcelona airport takes about two hours by taxi.

Try not to go in high season (unless you don’t mind crowds) ideal time May/June or September/October, still very warm but not so busy, we love it....https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g230087-Tossa_de_Mar_Costa_Brava_Province_of_Girona_Catalonia-Vacations.html

11 hours ago, Deker said:

I'd agree with this, I lived in the Algarve for a while and went back a few years ago and it was pretty poor, I've been to Lake Garda mountain biking the last few years and i would definitely recommend it (Italy not mountain biking :D ).

This. Went there a few years ago. Was a great place. Town hopping on the water taxis, lots of walking and great food. We don't do pools and sun. The dolomites were spectacular.

You can look online at any of the areas of spain,due to being ruled by many over the centuries it has a rich history to see and explore.

Costa Brava has Barcelona near by, CostaBlanca and Costa denia has Valencia an hour or so up the coast, Costa Del Sol you can visit Malaga Seville and Gibralter. have a look at resorts you like look of in the areas.  Balearic islands are nice to explore.

On 09/01/2018 at 11:34, panoma1 said:

Not Spain or Portugal but Italy!........Sorrento, Capri and the Amalfi coast!

Have to agree with this. 

I also find some of the greek islands very interesting with some nice old towns nestled in harbours etc.

Edited by Matty89

Camargue at the bottom of France. Walled medeaval city, horses, flamingos, salt lakes, beaches, bull running, superb food of course. Had my 60th there, did a safari to see the bird life in a very deserted reserve. You can fly to within 1/2 hour. Aigue Morte. Look it up, but don't tell everyone. Spain and Portugal are too English.

I'd recommend Italy too.

If you stay at Desenzano on Lake Garda you can catch a train to Verona and Venice in one direction and Brescia, Milan and Turin in the other, they're fast reasonably priced and close to the city centres.  

Closer to Desenzano is the pedestrianised, walled town of Sirmione. Further round the lake is Malcesine with a cable car ride to the top of Monte Baldo. From Desenzano there are also ferries that stop off at various towns around the lake too.