Car insurance

steve d

On the comparison websites does anyone ever go with the cheapest quote, or do you tend to stick to the cheapest quote from a company youve heard of before?

My missus insurance renewal has come through today and its gone up to £526, online comparisons show identical policies starting at £247!

Is it worth risking it with these "unknowns"? Anyone had any issues with them?

Cheers.

My current one is with Lloyds bank and is fully loaded as the ball and chain is a home carer, so cant be without a car.

The quotes ive got are for identical cover. Less than half price isnt to be sniffed at, but i guess you never really know how good the cover is until it all goes belly up:hmm:

Our experience is that many of the companies on the comparison sites offer a very attractive premium to get new business, then, at renewal time the premium goes up massively. It's happened to us more than once and even happened on the house insurance from Saga. I'm toying with the idea of going to a real insurance company like LV rather than an online 'insurance arranger' like Dial Direct or AA.

I realise premiums increase most years but I don't like nasty surprises such as an increase of 150%.

We have 3 cars insured with direct line for at least 20 years  and always renewed  with them when the time came as they send a letter and just do the renewal but last year i look at price comparison on google and gave them a call they would match the price for the wife's car  , then i said i would contact them in six months when it came to my renewal and i got a right snotty  bitch on the phone who said we are no in the market to match prices so i asked them to cancel my renewal and i got put threw to somebody else supposed to be cancellations and they took the £50 off  but as said all businesses offer discount for new members but is it worth the hassle moving every year ?

I sometimes stay with the same insurer at renewal but always do a price comparison first, I usually find I change at least every two years and I ensure that they don't do an automatic renewal the next year.

It seems to me high premium increases each year happen with all insurers and at least I ask for a reduction or pay the same as last year and am nearly always offered a reduction or I leave depending on price comparisons on line.

I have had all my insurances handled by the AA for years.   Including house and contents etc.

This year my car renewal seemed high at £890 so I plucked up the energy and interest to go to a compare website.

For exactly the same cover the cheapest was £430 and I settled for Churchill at a lower excess for £460.

The whole job, for this computer illiterate, took about half an hour.   I shall be comparing all my insurances as they come up for renewal.   (And electricity etc when it comes round).

Grandalf

It does indeed pay to shop around.

Due to my Fathers deteriorating Alzheimer’s I have taken over a lot of their administrative tasks. They are ‘old school’ and generally stick to the ‘Big Names’ and have never bothered to shop around and often year on year, relying on auto renew.

Well this year I have saved them £380 on their car insurance, £520 on their joint Travel Insurance and then recently was their House insurance.

The renewal was for £649 from the Halifax, Father wished to stay with them out of brand loyalty ( guess he thinks he should at least keep with one of his original providers ) , Used a comparison site and the Halifax wasn’t the cheapest but wasn’t far down the list.

Same cover to the letter ( I even rang up the Halifax to check it was identical) and for how much? £142 ( ok so that’s after a £50 cashback cheque but even so) .

Have also recently changed over their gas/elec and combined into one easy provider , next challenge is their Broadband with BT when their contract is up and also the dreaded SKY tv, can’t believe they pay £85 a month just because he likes to watch golf- I look forward to that conversation.

On another note, will mail you regarding popping over for a cuppa

Jay

Cheers for the replies.

The cheapest were with Dial Direct, google and various review sites seem to think theyre gash but when you look into the reasons its because of the auto renew and the fact that you have to pay an arrangement fee of circa 35 sovs to cancel! Even with this, if I go elsewhere next year, I wont be crushed. As has been said, its really no hassle to change, even for those of us who still type with one finger.

Aint gotta decide til 31st Jan so I think I'll do a bit more research.

Always do comparison checks once I receive the reminder, the only things you have to do is make sure the excess figures are similar and tick the extra's you need such as legal insurance and courtesy car. Oddly enough this time round I managed to stay with LV with both our cars, their reminder was £530 but they came top of comparison sites and ended up paying £405 for same cover, when I called them they couldn't price match their own price so had to ring the number on the cheaper quote ! Only problem encountered was I couldn't alter business use option on the net so had to speak to someone first. 

In the past 15 years of having to insure two cars for myself and the good lady, there’s only been one year where direct line weren’t the cheapest.

Bit of a pain in the **** as they aren’t on the comparison sites, but worth the effort ultimately.