Didn't expect that...

pbutd

Had to make a trip to stock up on cartridges this afternoon & it was only another 7 or 8 miles to drop into a roost wood that I haven't shot since this time last year.That time I had taken my mate Dave but I knew he had to visit his poorly Mother today.A year ago we had stood in this wood from 3 to 4.30 pm & only saw two pigeons land at the far end of the wood.Tally for that outing was zero.

So today I was not too optimistic;I filled both pockets with shells & set off with the dogs to walk 1/2 mile to the spot.It was cold with a very light wind but there was a small flock of birds in the distance which rose out of some distant oak trees & headed straight to the wood I intended to shoot.A good omen? On entering the wood there were droppings & feathers all over the place& birds lifting off further down. Settled into my chosen position & my first fag on the go & nothing moving.Ten minutes later a flock of 50+ drifted over ,banked into the wind & I had my first birds. From then on until I ran out of cartridges at about 4.15 the action was pretty steady.At that time there was little point in running back to the truck for more squibs so had a pick up.24 picked. I had not brought a game bag so  there was a dilemma, two journeys or improvise. I can carry 8 birds in my left hand & 5 in my right & two in my pockets.In the end I took my shooting jacket off, tied the sleeves together, loaded the pigeons into it & over my shoulder.Fortunately I had taken my gun down in a slip which went over the other shoulder.Made it back in one journey.

I don't think I shall tell Dave but rest it for 3 weeks & ask him over there then.