spaniel hunt command

ips

My commands are as follows

come here ( recall ) pip pip pip pip  arms outstretched sideward's

sit  ( which means put your **** to the floor and don't move until told to do so )

long whistle blow ( which means sit ) arm raised 

shot fired  ( which means sit ) gun raised 

bird or game flush ( which means sit )

get out ( from heal which means retrieve ) no hand signal if its a seen retrieve if its a blind then push arm in the direction of the fall

lost ( which means hunt that area for a retrieve ) no hand signal whistle short pip followed rapidly by a long decreasing volume pip

get back ( retrieve from not at heal ) arm pushed upward 

get on  ( which means hunt for game ) no hand signal 

gone away ( return to heal from a retrieve ) arms outstretched sideward

leave that ( don't retrieve that bird or game I want a different bird or game ) 

I have all these with a young ( green ) spaniel apart from drop to shot and drop to flush. these take a lot of training and a lot of time.

Those are the commands I use but dog don't understand English so any repetitive sound or signal will do as long as it is repetitive. 

• 3 weeks later...

i have a 1 1/2 year old springer named molly.

i use ,

GO FIND EM ------ to hunt, quarter her beat.

HUP ------- to sit and stay sat.

BACK ----- to retrieve.

1 pip  on whistle---- to turn left or right with hand signals ( she quarters well on her own so dont use this much )

1 long pip ----- STOP NOW.

4 quick pips ------ recall back to me.

we have been working full on with all the above commands to get some sort of control ,

although , she has heard the gun in conjunction with hunting , flushing and retrieving.

im looking forward to getting her out there and carry on with the next stage of training.

5a7c033c84700_molly22.jpg.514ebde7e02857fe244b9065a948d126.jpg

good luck every body , and maybe see some of you at the beginning of march.

thanks.

loz and molly.

hi fellow gundog trainers,

over the weekend i did a check up of commands i use.

4 pips for recall   ( with lots of molly,molly,molly )

1 pip for turning left / right with hand signals and lots of excited here molly , here molly .

1 hard 2 second pip , MEANING STOP NOW, usually followed by SSSSTTTTOOOOOPPPPP  , and trying to then run like a 6 foot, 16 stone lump with 6 inch legs.

BACK for a retrieve .any retrieve.

DEAD to let go of a retrieve.

HUP to sit and stay sat . usually followed by another 2 /3 HUPS.

OVER to clear an obstacle.

GO FIND EM , WHERE IS IT , GO FIND EM to start her hunting, which if i dont  HUP first she will go hunting anyway no need to tell her to start.

GO PEE for the obvious when your trying to get to bed at 11pm.

:yahoo: 

have fun everybody , its not that bad. lol.

loz and molly

haha.

on a serious note I have paid more attention to my commands recently both verbal and visible and I have concluded that I think I sometimes confuse her....for instance my retrieve command (unmarked such as sweeping) is get out...my hunt command (whilst beating so sposed to be close) is get in. But what if she only registers the get and is that why sometimes she pulls out a bit when beating.

I have also realised that in certain moments of frustration or anxiety my four pip recal becomes many pips so the command is lost.

I am going to simplify all of my commands this year 

funny you should mention that for the last few months I have been working on a "close" command. The idea is that "close" means just mooch about at my feet which I require a lot of when beating the estate rather than my usual "get on" which is hunting out to seventeen yards which is required for syndicate and walked up. It's not engrained yet but hope it will be by next season ?