Change of Address

Matty89

Notified the police i'd be changing my address and gave them the relevant details via E-MAIL.

I spoke to a lady on the phone to say I'd personally deliver a photocopy of my SGC to their office as it's not far from where I live.

She was adamant that I had to take in my original SGC otherwise they will not process the change of address.

I thought from BASC publications and general advice in the past was the following was procedure:

- Supply change of address details

- Provide a photocopy of SGC

- Receive change of address in post for the new address

- Hand in your old SGC to the police for them to destroy? 

Is this just somebody getting a bit above their station? I obviously don't want to be without my SGC for any period of time and refuse to do so.

8 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

when i changed mine i sent my cert back, with a letter of change of address,came back in no time,

Exactly the same for me too, only difference was they did phone me with some questions about where and how I had installed the cabinet. Duly answered the lady's questions and 2 days later my updated certificates arrived in the post. Very simple and fast.

39 minutes ago, walshie said:

That's nonsense. Your duty is to inform them of your new address and that's it. 

My thoughts but wasn't sure if the procedure had changed and not been picked up on BASC's website.

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Ring BASC firearms dept to clarify!

I shall do!

30 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

when i changed mine i sent my cert back, with a letter of change of address,came back in no time,

I'd be that one that gets lost or in the system for weeks so just weary of sending my cert.

I've been waiting over a year for Dorset to email/ring/write to let me know that they've received my change of address which I emailed and wrote too to make sure they did receive it. Even my old team phoned me (pembrokeshire) and said they've past my details on ages ago. Glad my cert is still with me (even tho its a different country / never mind county :lol:) as they are useless imo.

I just mover house to a different police area , County Durham to Herefordshire . After speaking by phone I then supplied my details via email to both the old police Firearms and the new one  and was sent a new certificate ,by second class post , without any problem . Although they were a bit on the slow side .No visit or inspection . I asked if I should return the old cert or just shred it and they asked that I shred it .