Moving House Gun Cupboard Project Ideas

Matty89

Moving house to something a little bigger as at the ripe old age of 28, I feel it won't be long before me and my girlfriend will start our own family, we should get the keys by the 26th January all being well.

It's 3 bedroom but we need a spare room and an office so no gun room for me.

There is considerable storage space though and I have managed to secure exclusive rights (i'll get this in writing) to 2 storage cupboards and the shed. Upstairs storage cupboard is 1200mm square with about 1500mm clear height (no idea what to use for) and the second is under stair storage as per the pictures below: 

The under stair storage is about 1500 x 2200mm with around 2200mm clear height at the highest point dropping down to probably 300mm at the lowest point, pictures of stairs and a photo looking at the door that accesses the area from the living room: (for context below)

It's quite new in terms of build but solid walls through to the neighbouring property so i'll fix a large cabinet in the right hand corner, i'll sit this on a little ammo safe so I don't need to cut the skirting board, ill fit a packer the full length of all exposed edges which fixings will go through. 

All the slabs of cartridges can sit in the spot where there is very low clear height and make good use of this area .

My reason for posting:

I really do want to make the most of this little bit of my own personal space and treat it as a mini project. Does anyone have a similar set-up and were there any space saving miracles that let you get more from the tiny space you had available|? I'd like to clean my guns and reload in there to as well as some storage shelves if possible. Maybe some camping style tricks such as fold up tables that drop down when not in use etc.

I'll only need this room for

-Cartridges

-Gun cabinet

-Glasses, Defenders and other such Accessories 

(Decoying kit etc would sit in the shed)

I'll also be fitting a door knob with the keyed access like this, just so i'm the only person that goes in should family be around and such, like this: 

https://www.thedoorhandlestore.com/Dale-Hardware-Bala-Knobsets-Satin-Stainless-Steel-p/6950.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp7ei8dTN2AIVbbftCh3rlgT7EAQYAiABEgJMSPD_BwE

Any suggestions or pictures of your own little tricks and ideas would be massively appreciated. It's a stressful time moving but all I can think of is this bloody under stair storage room!

aaaaaaaaa.jpg

bbbbbbbb.jpg

Edited by Matty89

Personally to make the most of the space, I’d be taking some 4mm steel sheets and lining all of the walls/ floor, and putting a nice looking security door on there, effectively turning the whole space into a gun room, it’s expensive but I think it would be worth it, just to have all your guns on the wall instead of locked up in a cabinet where dings and scratches are more likely, just my 2 pence tho ?

Hi Matty, I have fitted extra battery operated pir lighting in my gun cabinet and ammo cabinet. Also have an extra light above the adjacent storage area. Lights come on automatically and immediately i open the doors and shut off 15 second after closing. Cabinet lined with industrial type carpet ( thin and fairly dust free ) for quiet early morning trips and protection from dings. Hooks for storage of gun bags/slings/belts. Need to fit some shelves yet for micsellaneous items.

The two cabinet lights were from lidl, £5 each and the other one off evilbay, less than a fiver.

Just a few ideas to start you off?

20180110_212634.jpg

15 hours ago, treetree said:

Pinterest is a brilliant place for photos of ideas and inspiration. 

i'll have a look, Cheers

14 hours ago, Jay1234 said:

Personally to make the most of the space, I’d be taking some 4mm steel sheets and lining all of the walls/ floor, and putting a nice looking security door on there, effectively turning the whole space into a gun room, it’s expensive but I think it would be worth it, just to have all your guns on the wall instead of locked up in a cabinet where dings and scratches are more likely, just my 2 pence tho ?

Great Idea and it would be nice to mount to the wall instead and have a proper walk in gun room but i'd have to change the frame and door leaf I think it's a no go zone with the other half unless i can find a really really nice metal door lol. I suppose the frame could be powder coated white. One to consider but may take a lot of bribery!

13 hours ago, gun stocks said:

I’ve a brick cupboard in my utility room. 

No windows and a normal pitched roof with plasterboard ceiling. 

I swapped the door for a steel security one and I was granted a gun room by Thames valley police.

this was my first ever grant too.

No alarm needed unless I went over 10 guns. 

Would be good to have a gun room i'll have to look into the metal door options, can't be too obvious as its accessed off the living room and the missus is very fussy with everything being perfect.

11 hours ago, moor man said:

Hi Matty, I have fitted extra battery operated pir lighting in my gun cabinet and ammo cabinet. Also have an extra light above the adjacent storage area. Lights come on automatically and immediately i open the doors and shut off 15 second after closing. Cabinet lined with industrial type carpet ( thin and fairly dust free ) for quiet early morning trips and protection from dings. Hooks for storage of gun bags/slings/belts. Need to fit some shelves yet for micsellaneous items.

The two cabinet lights were from lidl, £5 each and the other one off evilbay, less than a fiver.

Just a few ideas to start you off?

Cheers for those ideas mate looks well, I definitely need some battery operated lights in there, could make them a bit of feature as well as their function. Definitely need hooks for such items and yes looking in to some space saving storage shelves and a fold out table for gun cleaning and maybe reloading. 

Having a good read of the Home Office Firearms Security Manual I'll have to have a cabinet in there by the looks of things which is a shame as it would have freed up space if I could wall mount.

The external wall is suitable for fixing to for the cabinet, unfortunately the other 2 walls are stud partitions so i'd have to remove the plasterboard to retrofit a layer of steel mesh and then make good again.  Same with the ceiling aswell as obviously a steel door to make it a gun room.

I may just put a cabinet in there for storage of my guns, however fix a wall mounted peg style board so I can permanently mount my Air Rifle to the wall and when occupying the room to clean my guns I could temporarily mount them to the wall and put back in the cabinet post clean. 

1 hour ago, seeker said:

Don't know if  there's anything in the Security Guidance of any use.? But at least you can tell the FEO that you have used their guidance,! 

htps://www.gov.uk/government/publications/firearms-handbook-2005

cheers seeker!

1 minute ago, Seadog1408 said:

2mm

In the door?? Iv never heard of a door being that thin, maybe the walls tho, wel either way,  it may be overkill to sub but it you are putting them in a secure place to actually keep them safe and not just because you have too, then I’d go over the top every time 

5 minutes ago, Jay1234 said:

In the door?? Iv never heard of a door being that thin, maybe the walls tho, wel either way,  it may be overkill to sub but it you are putting them in a secure place to actually keep them safe and not just because you have too, then I’d go over the top every time 

Although not an expert, I think the whole cabinet is made from 2mm steel (not sure gauge size) same with the door, although of course it is pressed and welded with locks inside. There is a lot of weight difference between 2 and 4 mm sheet especially when using fixings to brick walls.

Edited by Seadog1408

5 minutes ago, Seadog1408 said:

Although not an expert, I think the whole cabinet is made from 2mm steel (not sure gauge size) same with the door, although of course it is pressed and welded with locks inside. There is a lot of weight difference between 2 and 4 mm sheet especially when using fixings to brick walls.

As a general rule, the door will be about 50% thicker than the walls of the cabinet, if you buy one, that goes for safes too, and yes whole the 4mm weighs twice as much, any house with solid brickwork can handle it with ease, when I built my safe I brought a 4mm thick solid door and built the rest of the safe from 4mm stainless (withstands heat better) and the whole thing is hung from 4 wall anchors and didn’t touch the floor as I didn’t want to cut the skirting board 

31 minutes ago, Seadog1408 said:

Have you got a link for the ones with thicker steel on the doors, I can only find ones with equal thickness?

thanks

mike

Here you go mike, if I was to buy a safe I’d always use there guys 

https://www.ardmoor.co.uk/buffalo-river-gun-safes?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu8_M77PQ2AIV6J3tCh2k-Q05EAAYAiAAEgIr0fD_BwE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu8_M77PQ2AIV6J3tCh2k-Q05EAAYAiAAEgIr0fD_BwE

jay

9 hours ago, Matty89 said:

i'll have a look, Cheers

Great Idea and it would be nice to mount to the wall instead and have a proper walk in gun room but i'd have to change the frame and door leaf I think it's a no go zone with the other half unless i can find a really really nice metal door lol. I suppose the frame could be powder coated white. One to consider but may take a lot of bribery!

Would be good to have a gun room i'll have to look into the metal door options, can't be too obvious as its accessed off the living room and the missus is very fussy with everything being perfect.

You can get some really fancy gunroom doors, not too badly priced, and don’t change the door frame, just drill through it and into the brick 

17 hours ago, Jay1234 said:

You can get some really fancy gunroom doors, not too badly priced, and don’t change the door frame, just drill through it and into the brick 

Unless it matched the other doors not good enough apparently!

As much as i'd like to though! Going to go have a measure up soon and i can quickly drop up the layout!

Your house will just look silly if you go to extremes to have a metal door / gun room. 

How many guns do you even own? 

In years down the line when you want to move to another house you’ll want a cabinet that you can just unscrew and the room is undamaged and won’t look silly to potential buyers, whilst you can just go and bolt the cabinet into the wall of your new house.