Taking my shotgun to a friends for the weekend

Rehab71

Bit of advise please.

I'm heading down to my mates new place in Devon this weekend, he's got a bit of land now so was going to take my gun and maybe see if I can shoot some crows or pigeons etc.  The question is, he doesn't have a gun safe so am I allowed to have it down there for a couple of nights? I can break the gun up and leave some in the car and some in the house etc.

I'm right it thinking my mate can use my gun whilst he's with me?

Thanks

Firstly yes I believe your friend can use your shotgun under supervision. 

And as long as you take reasonable steps to secure your gun there is no direct requirement to store in a cabinet. 

As you suggest splitting the action & storing separately from barrel would be a good start. A trigger lock or chain & lock through the trigger guard atrached to something sturdy may be another suitable step.

Hi

as far as I'm aware, you can keep it locked in your boot for 48hrs. Personally when I've done it i put a cheap bike lock through the trigger guard onto a part of the boot bodywork (spare wheel tiedown  bit tbh).

You can take it apart, but keep it locked in the boot and not the house as if you get a call from the plod and your mate can get access to it when your in the shower ect if won't be with you for the trip home (I wouldn't have thought). 

As for your mate shooting that's fine (as long as he's got no outstanding convictions or classed as dangerous by the courts) Its the best way to gain experence for him.  Not 100% sure on distance but my mates who I've shot with before and I know are 100% safe I just keep within sight. If he's new to the sport just stay close as you dont want him swinging it around. I'm sure others will clarify. 

Stay safe and have a good time 

I personally think you would be better taking it inside, if you have a trigger lock it can’t be used. You could even put a cheep padlock on the slip zip of put it on a hard box and lock it.

I certainly wouldn’t lock it in my car for 48 hours, if your car goes so does your shotgun. You could keep the ammo in the car without the gun.

2 minutes ago, Harnser said:

I would not leave a gun or parts of a gun in a car . What’s wrong with sliding it under the bed you will sleep on . 

Harnser

Point is, even sleeping with it, are you going to take it everywhere with you when you're not sleeping?

I routinely travel with a shot gun, I don't tell people I have it with me, I keep the receiver (trigger locked) and fore end in a bag in my room, locked, and I keep the barrels and ammo in the car locked in the boot. I try to park the car in full view of reception cctv or somewhere uninviting etc. 

That said there are places I won't leave my gun in the car, even broken. Only yesterday I made the call to come home instead of shooting today as my job on Friday has been extended to include Saturday and as I have no control over where I'll be staying (Glasgow/Paisley) I bit the bullet and came home to park the gun, I had a good day shooting on Wednesday so can't complain. Early start tomorrow morning though :oops:

Security is YOUR responsibility, as long as you have made reasonable provision you will be fine.

Personally I would not leave any of the metal work in a cold car overnight at this time of year due to the condensation.

Place the action and forend in a sports holdall in a towel and stand the barrels out of view upstairs.

Regarding security, home office guidance for a journey which keeps the gun away from their usual secure storage you should consider.

Separating and retaining possession of integral parts of the firearm, e.g. the fore-end of a shotgun, bolt of a rifle etc and utilising portable security devices, i.e. security cords etc.

Regarding your friend borrowing the shotgun to use on his own land if he doesn’t have a licence then you as the lender must be a person authorised by them in writing.

Sounds stupid I know because he’s with you, but to keep within the law written permission is a requirement from May 2017 and must be obtained prior to shooting, verbal permission is no longer permitted.

Whether they would ever go to the trouble of doing you for your actual scenario I have no idea, but that act makes it quite clear you as the lender need written permission from the person with the shooting rights to lend a rifle or shot gun on the premises before shooting.

On 11/01/2018 at 16:45, timps said:

Regarding security, home office guidance for a journey which keeps the gun away from their usual secure storage you should consider.

Separating and retaining possession of integral parts of the firearm, e.g. the fore-end of a shotgun, bolt of a rifle etc and utilising portable security devices, i.e. security cords etc.

Regarding your friend borrowing the shotgun to use on his own land if he doesn’t have a licence then you as the lender must be a person authorised by them in writing.

Sounds stupid I know because he’s with you, but to keep within the law written permission is a requirement from May 2017 and must be obtained prior to shooting, verbal permission is no longer permitted.

Whether they would ever go to the trouble of doing you for your actual scenario I have no idea, but that act makes it quite clear you as the lender need written permission from the person with the shooting rights to lend a rifle or shot gun on the premises before shooting.

Dont suppose you know the name and section of the Act in question? Just for personal intrest really

Thanks 

19 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

Dont suppose you know the name and section of the Act in question? Just for personal intrest really

Thanks 

It is covered in Section 11A of the Firearms Act 1968 subsection (3) (c) (ii)

“(3) The second condition is that the lender—

(c)is either—

(i)a person who has a right to allow others to enter the premises for the purposes of hunting animals or shooting game or vermin, or

(ii)a person who is authorised in writing by a person mentioned in sub-paragraph (i) to lend the rifle or shot gun on the premises (whether generally or to persons specified in the authorisation who include the borrower).”

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/11A

39 minutes ago, timps said:

It is covered in Section 11A of the Firearms Act 1968 subsection (3) (c) (ii)

“(3) The second condition is that the lender—

(c)is either—

(i)a person who has a right to allow others to enter the premises for the purposes of hunting animals or shooting game or vermin, or

(ii)a person who is authorised in writing by a person mentioned in sub-paragraph (i) to lend the rifle or shot gun on the premises (whether generally or to persons specified in the authorisation who include the borrower).”

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/11A

Ah, ok - as amended by s.130 of the Policing and Crime Act 2017

Thank you - curiosity satisfied now :-)