Shooting sticks

storsey

Good evening guys , I'm getting on a bit these days but have been given another permission to look after and try to reduce the fox and deer numbers ..alas there is no high seats so it will be walking and stalking I use to shoot from a large bipod but it's easier for me these days to shoot from sticks . Can anyone recommend a set. I'm not a rich man but I've managed to squirrel away some money that my better half is currently unaware of, I'm sure she knows something's  up as she is being nice to me .... I'm rambling ..anyway any help would be appreciated 

Thanks chaps 

On 10/01/2018 at 23:24, walshie said:

As above. Primos trigger sticks. 

Another vote for them. I’ve also got the 2 point rifle rest which is brilliant when I’m baiting foxes and using my NV scope. I will point out and say that I use these when waiting for foxes to come to a baited area, and rarely move around the fields with them. 

Yep, just practise shooting from one stick, then you have no monetary outlay as you can cut yourself a suitable hazel. I have a way of putting the stick across my knee in a kneeling position which is very stable and seen the demise of many deer, boar, spanish goats, aoudad etc.  Very easy to carry, makes a third leg when crossing a ditch or obstacle quietly. I have had two legged and three legged factory sticks and gave them away, similarly bypods which just get crammed with grass, heather etc.  Just make your mind up and don't hover.

19 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

just make a set of twin sticks out of B&Q garden canes, Quad sticks if you want to be really steady. 

Yep, if you're remotely handy I'd put my DIY garden sticks up against almost any quad stick I've tried and they'd match them. I'll try and put some photos up tomorrow.

Unless you're intending on sitting at any point the trigger sticks etc. are uneccessary and fangled. I tend to always shoot standing if stalking/walking so single height, garden cane, quad sticks suit me perfectly, quick to deploy and very stable. A few tweaks and they take some beating, especially on price.

2 hours ago, JRDS said:

Best I have used are made by Wildfowler on here, not cheap but superbly stable and well made.  Should last a very long time barring accidents.

Thanks for the kind words!

I do currently have a couple of sets finished ready to go, so if the OP or anyone else is interested, drop me a PM.

hello, 2 x 5 ft  garden poles the green ones with point about 15mm diameter, cut off from bike  inner tube 1inch and wrap around a few times about 6 inches from top/ the ask mel to get lin to make a leather yoke

7 minutes ago, Wildfowler said:

Thanks for the kind words!

I do currently have a couple of sets finished ready to go, so if the OP or anyone else is interested, drop me a PM.

hello, any photos ?

3 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, 2 x 5 ft  garden poles the green ones with point about 15mm diameter, cut off from bike  inner tube 1inch and wrap around a few times about 6 inches from top/ the ask mel to get lin to make a leather yoke

hello, any photos ?

Here is a link to the original post

9 hours ago, mick miller said:

Yep, if you're remotely handy I'd put my DIY garden sticks up against almost any quad stick I've tried and they'd match them. I'll try and put some photos up tomorrow.

Unless you're intending on sitting at any point the trigger sticks etc. are uneccessary and fangled. I tend to always shoot standing if stalking/walking so single height, garden cane, quad sticks suit me perfectly, quick to deploy and very stable. A few tweaks and they take some beating, especially on price.

damn straight!

• 1 month later...

Quad sticks all the way ..I did buy a set of alloy all singing all dancing ones but sadly after two years exemplary service I found out they were not Toyota proof ..I left them against the truck and managed to drive over them ...:mad:...my new one are home made wooden ones . I did look at the viper quad sticks at the shooting show which the sales man did inform me wouldn’t break if I drove over them but I couldn’t swallow another £150 ( on offer) ...

make some quad sticks. i did put a post up a while back on how to make a set. cost to make, About £25. if they brake then its only £25 to make another set.

i have been using for many years and will not use or buy anything else now. i really cant see why i need to spend £100+ just because someone says there the best.

1 hour ago, activeviii said:

make some quad sticks. i did put a post up a while back on how to make a set. cost to make, About £25. if they brake then its only £25 to make another set.

i have been using for many years and will not use or buy anything else now. i really cant see why i need to spend £100+ just because someone says there the best.

Definitely this. I can't understand why people buy sticks!  Make your own. You will shoot just as well and save yourself a heap of money. 

I would not use anything that required me to be on the floor so a bipod is out. 

I had the Primos but it needs to be kept clean to work properly, not so easy if you are out often, and maybe not as versatile as quads.

Now i have the Sealand sticks they are ok. Not great on slippy concrete as the legs will splay. If not fully out (in a tight space) the heads will rock. I gave up on the adjustable legs and now just have them locked in place. Cold to the touch unless you keep all the foam wrap in the right place, for balance when walking. 

If I was at all handy I would make some sticks but use the carbon fibre poles off the bay. Light quiet and should be strong? Crucial must be how they lock out. I have seen a few with string between the legs :unhappy:. Also they have got to be reliable, no good if they break down whilst your out. 

40 minutes ago, oowee said:

I would not use anything that required me to be on the floor so a bipod is out. 

I had the Primos but it needs to be kept clean to work properly, not so easy if you are out often, and maybe not as versatile as quads.

Now i have the Sealand sticks they are ok. Not great on slippy concrete as the legs will splay. If not fully out (in a tight space) the heads will rock. I gave up on the adjustable legs and now just have them locked in place. Cold to the touch unless you keep all the foam wrap in the right place, for balance when walking. 

If I was at all handy I would make some sticks but use the carbon fibre poles off the bay. Light quiet and should be strong? Crucial must be how they lock out. I have seen a few with string between the legs :unhappy:. Also they have got to be reliable, no good if they break down whilst your out. 

I have shot in excess of 200 deer a year for the last 14 years. Home made quad/twin sticks are all you need.