Split - Croatia - What to see and do?

Penelope

The Krka National Park, about an hour NW of Split. Absolutely stunning and a great place to be for a whole day out. Am I right in thinking you're a bit of a birdwatcher? If you're into your birds then the islands are definitely worth a day trip to. I didn't make it there as I was writing my MSc thesis over the week's holiday and I couldn't fit it in sadly, but Vis and the smaller ones around it are one of the few places in Europe you can see Elenora's falcons, as well as plenty of sea bird species. Even just as a boat trip, it's meant to be brilliant. 

Edited by chrisjpainter

If you have not booked accommodation then Trogir is worth a look. Trogir harbour and town simply stunning. Make sure to hire a boat take your lunch and find a bay to drop anchor.

Kirka waterfalls. Get to the nearest village and walk or cycle along the river to get to them. 

Get on a boat out to the islands. There’s a catamaran that goes out to Hvar, and there are plenty of places that are day trip-able. Best of luck.

It’s been years since I was there, but I loved it. The local wine (a grape called plavac) is delicious - grippy and cheerful, and cheap. The beer is Ozjuško (sp) and is proper fighting juice :good:

If you find Laško (a Slovenian beer), then this is much nicer.

It isabeautiful part of the world. Even if you go nowhere else, spend some time trying to get your head around the Roman Adriatic. Just imagine how it might have looked in Diocletian’s time - all the pointers are there.

What a treat!

LS

Once you have exhausted Split a day/evening trip to Trogir is well worth the effort. As mentioned before you must explore the islands..Hvar, Brac, Vis etc.

The locals are friendly and we had some great conversations with locals re the war and it's effects.

One thing I noticed was how the streets transform once the sun goes down...magic!

Very large and busy ferry port, allow plenty of time for tickets and finding your ferry berth:whistling:?

Happy hols