Dave still in the dark...

pbutd

...but as he was free today I thought I would try to alleviate my guilt by finding him a decent day.

After a surprisingly good roost shoot on Tuesday evening ,it was evident that the majority of birds had been feeding on rape;Thereby destroying my theory that they would not be on the rape yet.Anyway I just had to do the tour within a 5 mile radius of that roost wood & eventually I found what looked to be  the probable field ,just behind a big conifer wood which used to be part of an estate shoot but had been sold off 2 years ago.I got the all clear & set off 9.30ish this morning with Dave.

On arrival about 11am there were 200 down & 50-60 lifting out of the wood;Looked promising.I set Dave up on the corner of the wood where they had been grazing & I plodded over to the far hedgeline about 200m away.It worked OK with birds going to both patterns & some bouncing from one to the other after shots were fired.The tap was turned off at about 2.30. Dave killed 21 & I picked 44.

We were all back at the car by 3.15 & the obvious decision was to roost shoot the conifer wood,with one at each end of the wood.Surprisingly this turned out to be good as well.A lot of banging & a roost bag of 21 between us;Dave also shot a squirrel which drove my terrier mad.I made him carry it back to the truck with the terrier hanging off it & tripping him up.We had to hide it in the end to avoid further psychological damage to man & dog.

I don't feel so guilty now.