.223 question

30-6

Recently purchased a new .223.

Fired about 10 rounds gave it a carefull clean with homemade pull through using only oil and dry patches no solvent cleaner. Went out and zeroed with different grain ammo and was happy with results, used about another 20 ish rounds.

Went out yesterday to try some 40g ammo, also tried some which had previously been good. Starting at 50 yds was out by about 5 inches left and 5 inches low. Got it back with adjustment of about 20 clicks, but what happened there ?

I am hoping someone is going to say, just needs a good clean with solvent. 

I might add zero is 50 yds and 100 and 150 are well good enough for fox kill zone.

Scope is a non parallax on 7 times mag.

Q1 Do you think a good clean is in order ?

Q2 Should I zero at 100 yds ?

Q3 Should I get a parallax adjustable scope, so I can get a good clear image at all ranges, fancying a Hawke Endurance ?

Cheers in advance, first centerfire and learning.

7 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

It sounds like your scope has taken a knock or it is not right for the job. It would take a lot of cleaning to damage a barrel. Always clean from the chamber this will reduce the risk of damaging the crown. (Apologies if I am 'teaching granny to suck eggs') :)

Q1 Do you think a good clean is in order ? I always give my rifle a pull through even if only one shot fired. Some owners prefer to scrub a soak, it is down to personel prefrence. Modern ammunition is  clean and non corossive.

Q2 Should I zero at 100 yds ? Again personel preference and terrain you shoot over, but 100yards is a good starting point

Q3 Should I get a parallax adjustable scope, so I can get a good clear image at all ranges, fancying a Hawke Endurance ? I use a parallax scope made by Vortex, it works for me.

There's no amount of cleaning or lack of, that would put your zero out by that much.

It sounds more like a scope or moderator problem to me. Is the mod screwed on tight? 

What scope do you have on at the moment? 20 clicks to adjust 5" at 50 yards doesn't sound right. 

100 yards is a good zero range for a 223.

I've never used a parallax adjustable scope and everything is perfectly clear.

I also think there would need to be an almighty amount of dirt to knock it out by 5 inches ...check your mod as if it's even slightly loose it will make a difference .  If it's sectional this will increase the issue .

im a very tidy man who loves his shooting and his kit but I will be honest I rarely clean my .243 I will clean the outside if the gun if it's been exposed to cold or rain But as for cleaning the internals of the barrel I really don't think there's a need to all time . ...I'm sure I will get torn to pieces by other guys for saying that , I don't want or have needed to check the zero every time I go out ( unless you've knocked the rifle in some way ) and its always spot on for me 

As for range zero it all depends on the land you have , I zero at 100 now but use to zero at 50 yards so it was slightly high at a 100 .really whatever your confident in ...if your an inch high or and inch low on most quarry it really doesn't matter as long as the bullet and gun are up to the job 

maybe it's the scope I had a ziess stalking scope some years ago from new that just would not keep a zero !!

Edited by storsey

Scope is a Hawke nitesite which I have had from new, moderator is a dpt brand new, and was up tight.

What I plan to do is fit a photon and if that seems ok perhaps get a Hawke Endurance with sf.

I will clean the barrel with solvent, there was a thread not so long ago about whether a new barrel should be run in or not. 

Rifles are a lot more hassle than shotguns, never a dull day with them.

24 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

Scope is a Hawke nitesite which I have had from new, moderator is a dpt brand new, and was up tight.

What I plan to do is fit a photon and if that seems ok perhaps get a Hawke Endurance with sf.

I will clean the barrel with solvent, there was a thread not so long ago about whether a new barrel should be run in or not. 

Rifles are a lot more hassle than shotguns, never a dull day with them.

Running in wouldn't make 5" difference.

The reason I asked what scope you had was that to move poi 5" at 50 yards would require 40 clicks in most scopes (assuming 1/4 m.o.a) so being able to move it with 20 clicks would either suggest the scope is faulty, or the mounts are loose.  

Edited by walshie