Taking gun parts across the channel

storsey

Hiya guys I was asked a question yesterday by a pal of mine and I honestly didn't know the answer . A shooting associate of his asked the question that .... Is it illegal to bring a set of shotgun barrels in the boot of your car from France to the UK.   .... I said no straight away and after thinking about it I was unsure as really in its singular state it is in essence two tubes of metal 

what do you reckon ? 

Cheers 

For all pressure bearing parts you need to contact the Calais police, if traveling from France to uk, and let them know that you will be traveling with firearms, they will also be checked at the port and once you are on the ferry you will have your car keys taken from you and given back when you get to Dover, then your car will be checked again in Dover by local police 

Love these answers.

Some truth in them but not entirely correct.

An EFP is only required for Transporting ones own Firearms when traveling throughout the EU and yes it is checked.

No, you don’t have to make contact with the Police in any form, be it Gendarmerie, Police Municipal or Police National- When you present yourself at the Port ( having already provided all firearms details to you Ferry Company or Eurotunnel when making your booking), you will be issued a different boarding card to be displayed from your rear view mirror.

Unless extremely busy, you will be allocated a separate ‘Lane’ and then the nice Police will come and tap on your window and ask for your EFP.

On loading you do indeed have to hand over your keys and receive them one the decks are open again for disembarkation.

You will then be directed to the ‘Uk Customs’ channel and then made to produce your Documentation where they then inspect the firearms series numbers to check that they tally.

It is possible, so I am told, that if informed in advance that any item you have purchased overseas to be entered there and then on your Certificate- This is from two different Licencing Authorities.

My French purchases have always been added to my EFP before I travel using the known serial number by either a purchase made on another trip and held over there or contacting the dealer in advance.

Hope this helps out a bit.

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

Love these answers.

Some truth in them but not entirely correct.

An EFP is only required for Transporting ones own Firearms when traveling throughout the EU and yes it is checked.

No, you don’t have to make contact with the Police in any form, be it Gendarmerie, Police Municipal or Police National- When you present yourself at the Port ( having already provided all firearms details to you Ferry Company or Eurotunnel when making your booking), you will be issued a different boarding card to be displayed from your rear view mirror.

Unless extremely busy, you will be allocated a separate ‘Lane’ and then the nice Police will come and tap on your window and ask for your EFP.

On loading you do indeed have to hand over your keys and receive them one the decks are open again for disembarkation.

You will then be directed to the ‘Uk Customs’ channel and then made to produce your Documentation where they then inspect the firearms series numbers to check that they tally.

It is possible, so I am told, that if informed in advance that any item you have purchased overseas to be entered there and then on your Certificate- This is from two different Licencing Authorities.

My French purchases have always been added to my EFP before I travel using the known serial number by either a purchase made on another trip and held over there or contacting the dealer in advance.

Hope this helps out a bit.

Well seeing that 1, I take my firearms across and have to tell the police first, and secondly,  I’m a deckhand on thoes ferries so am well aware of what you have to do ?