Nissan X trail Diesel

lopylui

Had three, two diesel and one petrol. All did the job, plenty of space and comfy. Last one however let me down as diesel injectors went and I had to scrap it with about 80,000 on the clock. Not sure if this is a one off but may be worth checking. Aside of this would recommend as had them all off road in moderate circumstances

My 215K miles 2.5 petrol auto has been brilliant - which takes care of the bodywork - but take a good look underneath because some are rust buckets, get ya fingers up into the rear spring turrets and see if you can poke a hole through the inside and rear facing sides. Mine are great but I've seen images of holes and the top cracking off.

Looking throught the facebook X-Trail group it seems diesels are prone to mundane issues such as turbo, scv something, dpf. Small handbrake shoes are in my opinion inadequate so consider that an issue if you regularly hill park.Rear brake calipers also a niggle that can be fixed and apparently wheel bearings that aren't a quick nor DIY fix.

Edited by Dave-G

Had our 53 plate diesel for 2 1/2 years now.only had to replace throttle position sensor(cost £200ish?),ours was the least comon of sensor types,typical.

This christmas we drove to the Swiss border and back without a single problem.

Personally dont think the driving position is as comfortable as a discovery but apart from this it is a great car.

A 2007 could be either the older T30 or the 2007-2014 T31. I have a T31, which is excellent. Fantastic on-road drive, capable off road, huge boot. Bags of power and pretty much every conceivable toy.

I can't speak for the T30, I hear they're good cars but they don't share much apart from the name in engineering terms. 

have a 2004 diesel 2.2 dci for nearly 10 years, it has done 145,000, if i remember had done 19,000 when i bought it. It has never missed abeat, I service it meself, oils and filters every 10,000 and takes me about 20 minutes to do. Apart from consumables tyres, brakes and a couple of cv joints nothing major. I am reluctant to change it as it just keeps going. I get around 30mpg i would say but i do lot of stop start town driving, get a little more on a motorway run.

Recently had to change heater blower resistor, cheap sub £10 fix and a bit of googling. Super cheap fix. Not a serious 4x4 but i can get around stubbles, tracks ok if not too wet, two wheel drive, auto 4x4 and lock 4x4 which i have used in snow, very good.

atb

7diaw

3 hours ago, lancer425 said:

TheT31 2 litre170 diesel what can you realistic get MPg was told 45mpg is this optomistic. ?

Probably. I managed to get myself sold a pup. was supposed to be 173 but was in fact the 150. Had it re-mapped (Quantum) which took it marginally over the 173 performance figures without any appreciable change to economy. Devon to Crieff and back in motorway mode then reverting to tourist mode in between totalling 2000 miles at 40mpg overall. Currently with the cold weather short trips with cold engine getting 27mpg. Same trips in summer 29.5. So think the 45 is a tad ambitious

On 12/01/2018 at 16:37, lopylui said:

Whats your opinion on nissan x trail? Good resale value? Iv had one come avalable but iv no experience with em.

Best mobile semi-highseat on the market. :yes:

6 hours ago, lancer425 said:

TheT31 2 litre170 diesel what can you realistic get MPg was told 45mpg is this optomistic. ?

I'm getting about 37 out of mine according to the dash display. That's on AT tyres and mostly round lanes and B roads with a fairly heavy foot. Stick cruise control on 70 on the motorway and it'll go up beyond 50mpg 

1 hour ago, SimpleSimon said:

I'm getting about 37 out of mine according to the dash display. That's on AT tyres and mostly round lanes and B roads with a fairly heavy foot. Stick cruise control on 70 on the motorway and it'll go up beyond 50mpg 

Well thats fine on a run,  think i am going to buy it tomorrow old lass said it did 45 so what you say she is not too far astray. 

If it's of any help, because of the nature of my local running I do a fortnightly run up the motorway to clean the DPF out. Just done it. 20 miles total to and from the motorway and 40 on it at 2500 RPM plus a tad on occasion. 38MPG overall. I'm with Dave-G, should have kept the 2.5l petrol. If you do do a lot of very short cold start trips and are intending to crawl around the fields with the rifle out of the window and there's a DPF involved, then for my money buy petrol.

Good stuff, hope you enjoy it. 

When I got mine I spent quite a bit of time driving it in 2wd to conserve fuel. I discovered that for me, driving winding rural roads, it was a much better ride driving it in 4x4 auto, i.e. the middle setting. That and running chunckers sees me on about 38mph, 40mph on run on decent road. 

On 1/15/2018 at 08:22, wymberley said:

If it's of any help, because of the nature of my local running I do a fortnightly run up the motorway to clean the DPF out. Just done it. 20 miles total to and from the motorway and 40 on it at 2500 RPM plus a tad on occasion. 38MPG overall. I'm with Dave-G, should have kept the 2.5l petrol. If you do do a lot of very short cold start trips and are intending to crawl around the fields with the rifle out of the window and there's a DPF involved, then for my money buy petrol.

out ov window  whats up wi full sun roof

19 minutes ago, dessyb said:

out ov window  whats up wi full sun roof

Have read this as: "Out of window? What's up with full sun roof?"

If that's correct, the answer is nothing. If you are driving around picking off rabbit as you go and you're on your own I find it difficult from the sun roof. I don't (can't) do this though in the sure and certain knowledge that sooner rather than later the damned DPF light will come on. With the odd exception when I know precisely where it'll be when I will shoot from the window, but the vast majority of my fox and rabbit are shot from the roof. Said it before, because of the size of the sun roof the X Trail is one of the best mobile semi highseats on the market.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Have read this as: "Out of window? What's up with full sun roof?"

If that's correct, the answer is nothing. If you are driving around picking off rabbit as you go and you're on your own I find it difficult from the sun roof. I don't (can't) do this though in the sure and certain knowledge that sooner rather than later the damned DPF light will come on. With the odd exception when I know precisely where it'll be when I will shoot from the window, but the vast majority of my fox and rabbit are shot from the roof. Said it before, because of the size of the sun roof the X Trail is one of the best mobile semi highseats on the market.

I'll second that, its perfect tool for a rifle man with health issues that prevent weighed down walkabouts or winter COPD breathing issues etc, or just old age.

The drivers seat/door window is a perfect total body supported benchrest while the forestock is placed on a suitable precut lump of foam or whatever in the door mirror bracket - and I can easily reach the scope focus while on target. You simply steer the towards the quarry and if its an auto you can even hold the rifle in postion as you drive.

The extra long sunroof is great for a shooting buddy in the rear seat area to use all round and he can whisper instructions to the driver instead of raising his voice. Not done it but I'm thinking it would also suit two guys parked under a tree etc with bipods on the roof facing rearwards to a bait station or warren etc.

Also, the petrol version can be left running on idle for long periods without incurring idle issues from a bunged up EGR valve because the engine uses a precat instead. I only say this because I have found that if I stop the engine when bunny bashing everything scarpers when its re-started.

It totally ticks all my boxes.

cant speak for t31 but my 2003 t30 sve 2.2 114bhp  is spot on for fuel regularly go from Newcastle on tyne down to Whitstable in kent on just a tad over half a tank and that's sitting at 70/80 most of the way in 6th at around 3500rpm ish if I remember correctly

yes the 136 are a little nippier but the the lower bhp ones suffer way less turbo failure problems but having said that the 114 bhp is more than adequate round town field and on the motorway

18 hours ago, Dave-G said:

I'll second that, its perfect tool for a rifle man with health issues that prevent weighed down walkabouts or winter COPD breathing issues etc, or just old age.

The drivers seat/door window is a perfect total body supported benchrest while the forestock is placed on a suitable precut lump of foam or whatever in the door mirror bracket - and I can easily reach the scope focus while on target. You simply steer the towards the quarry and if its an auto you can even hold the rifle in postion as you drive.

The extra long sunroof is great for a shooting buddy in the rear seat area to use all round and he can whisper instructions to the driver instead of raising his voice. Not done it but I'm thinking it would also suit two guys parked under a tree etc with bipods on the roof facing rearwards to a bait station or warren etc.

Also, the petrol version can be left running on idle for long periods without incurring idle issues from a bunged up EGR valve because the engine uses a precat instead. I only say this because I have found that if I stop the engine when bunny bashing everything scarpers when its re-started.

It totally ticks all my boxes.

:lol: Ain't that a fact! I still regret selling the 2.5 T Spec some 12 years or more later. Have you ever had the sun roof fail to close - usually on a very hot day after,say, a zeroing session - almost closes until is starts to push down the blind and then opens again to the first stop?