My first beaters day

mattyg1086

I was so pleased today to be able to shoot on my first beaters day.  The guns were really helpful and put the two of us on the best pegs for each drive and I even shot my first partridge today.     I took some great pictures of all of our dogs at lunch and I made a post on facebook and a family friend has slated me,   do I ignore it or do I debate him??  What is the best response to this.    His words were well done you should feel really proud of yourself killing a dangerous bird what was it doing flying at you.      I'm sad that people are like this but that is life I'm afraid  I'm just not sure how to respond

The important thing is that you had a great beaters day a fitting reward for a hard seasons work. Just accept not everyone agrees with our legitimate legal sport and ignore it. It is not worth debating with someone whose mind is closed. Just carry on enjoying what you do and being appreciated by the team you work for.

37 minutes ago, mattyg1086 said:

What is the best response to this.    His words were well done you should feel really proud of yourself killing a dangerous bird what was it doing flying at you.      I'm sad that people are like this but that is life I'm afraid  I'm just not sure how to respond

As already suggested, you ignore such comments. Any response by you will usually entail a further barbed comment in return & with social media as it is, you will just get others joining in the fray and the whole thing just turns into a slanging match. Not everyone agree`s with our chosen sport and that is their right. I dont personally agree with the way that chickens are battery farmed to keep costs down and my response to people who had a dig at me over shooting was to tell them to pay a visit to a large battery farm & then come and tell me what was more cruel; me tending, feeding and protecting a Pheasant for 2 or 3 months and then allowing it to roam free before being driven over the gun line where it least it stood a chance of getting away; as against a chicken thats born, raised and spends its short miserable life in the cramped confines that battery birds are subject to. After 50 years+ of shooting I now dont even bother responding to anti-shooting comments; if people are anti to our chosen sport its unlikely anything you say on social media is going to change their mind.

1 hour ago, mattyg1086 said:

I was so pleased today to be able to shoot on my first beaters day.  The guns were really helpful and put the two of us on the best pegs for each drive and I even shot my first partridge today.     I took some great pictures of all of our dogs at lunch and I made a post on facebook and a family friend has slated me,   do I ignore it or do I debate him??  What is the best response to this.    His words were well done you should feel really proud of yourself killing a dangerous bird what was it doing flying at you.      I'm sad that people are like this but that is life I'm afraid  I'm just not sure how to respond

Ex family friend now?

7 hours ago, mattyg1086 said:

I will delete him and I have Facebook for keeping in contact with friends that I don't get much time to see now due to my work and family.   I will try to upload some later.  

just delete the fool , and move on without a second thought for him .

thats what any sensible person would do anyway , personally , i always bite when someone has a dig at the fact that i shoot , its the one thing that will make me forget my manners and get right in someones face.

13 hours ago, mattyg1086 said:

don't fink facebook is the right place for your picks, you will just get the wrong response unfortunately it was a family member, like other pw member have said would be more appreciate on this great forum :good:

28 minutes ago, davewh100 said:

don't fink facebook is the right place for your picks, you will just get the wrong response unfortunately it was a family member, like other pw member have said would be more appreciate on this great forum :good:

Must admit I don't do faceache, but as long as the photos are not blood thirsty I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

We have been hiding in the shadows for far too long hoping the anti's won't notice us, which hasn't worked very well. And in the 20yrs we've been hiding even rural towns never mind urban towns and cities are more out of touch than ever

Someone put a good letter he wrote for the basc magazine in the other thread with all the **** I the title it was the last post.

I would ignore his comments at the moment, social media is not the best place to try to debate it (as seen with many threads on here turning into bun fights and that's with folk who mostly agree with each other!!).

I wouldn't delete him, but I would speak to him at some time face to face about it, everyone has a right to there own opinion and if he is a vegan fair play to him.

Otherwise he's just a hypocrite, eating meat, wearing leather, drinking wine etc .yet not prepared to either get there hands dirty or even acknowledge it

If I knew him quite well I'd pop round to his house with a few beers and mibee take some cooked pheasants/partridges or some game burgers/sausages etc so they are very easily cooked, and there won't be the same stigma about eating them. Once they like the taste then a few oven ready birds. I think the idea often puts folk off eating gae

Just cause someone doesn't agree with shooting is not a big deal, as long as they know the facts and make an informed decision, I wouldn't say its a good reason to stop a friendship thou.

Just Ignore it he does no what he it missing. Ignore the pun being stuck in front of telly all day is a real life.? not out doors mixing with other people working your dogs picking up or shooting some nice birds that you will remember for a long time.

Just totaly for get him.all the best for next season

I’m pleased you enjoyed your first beaters day. To get involved in a heated debate on any topic on fb is futile.

You could ask your relative next time you meet face to face, if they eat meat and if so why. Chances are they’re advocating the killing of that animal simply because they like the taste. No one in the western world needs to eat meat to survive; they’re doing it because they like the taste.