Shot range

Ultrastu

So recently my pal and I tested our .410s for maximum range (something we always do with a new gun and calibre .)

Having tested our 20bs with different carts in no5 and no6 .we found max range was about 250 yds on a still day 

Last week we found our .410s shooting "full speed " no6 carts ,would drop around 175 yds  200 yds as a maximum .

Would anybody like to offer an explanation as to why a .410 cart with 1350 fps on the box makes 200 yds but a 20b with 1350 on the box makes 250 yds ? All in no6 

I have my own theories but would like to hear some more opinions first. If possible cheers. 

Stu 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting. Was this shooting over water by any chance? Otherwise how did you judge the distance? Just interested. Was the barrel horizontal or elevated?

I have shot a 12 gauge over water and the pellets don't all fall in one heap either but in a long string unless fired directly vertical to the water surface.

That begs the question, when does the velocity fall off?

Would penetration tests at 25...50...70 yrds reveal anything?

Edited by Walker570

50 minutes ago, haynes said:

Hmm. Interesting. Can only think that as in a skein of geese the front few break the air for those behind. More pellets in a 12 or 20 bore to break the air? 

That about Geese is a Myth :yes: Just the same as Never shoot the front 2 Geese as these are Adults so useless to eat as they are Tough :rolleyes:

Edited by 6.5x55SE

Just to add to the mix .

If you can get a no6 pellet to 250 yds from a muzzle speed of 1350 fps .to have it drop at 200 yds with the same  average bc .then the velocity has to drop to around 700 fps .

Clearly there isnt that much a difference in muzzle velocity between the cals .

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

So, how can you confirm that and if that is not the reason they fly in formation, what is?

Years of experience along with watching David Attenborough programs.

Also Geese will regularly fly in ragged Bunches , side by side ( a straight line ) , one leg of a V ,  straight line Bill to Tail  and the reason to get from A to B 

1 hour ago, motty said:

My first ports of call would be to measure actual shot size and actual velocity. That is probably where the discrepancy comes in.

:yes:

Edited by 6.5x55SE

18 minutes ago, Saltings said:

did you fire the gun at exactly the same angle upwards  I think the sweet spot for distance is about 22 degrees 

That depends massively on the bc of the projectile . The higher the bc .the greater the angle of elevation for max range .a low bc of a shotgun pellet requires a lower angle usually around 18 degree as opposed  to 30 degree for a heavy bullet 

But if you take say a 28 inch barrel and a 32 inch barrel and compare Them the 32 should have a higher velocity but usually in the region of around 100 fps for that 4 inch difference. Which makes according to chairgun about a 5 yds average distance .So not the 50 yds difference I'm experiencing .

Ps a bc change can make the difference in range ;)

29 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

But if you take say a 28 inch barrel and a 32 inch barrel and compare Them the 32 should have a higher velocity but usually in the region of around 100 fps for that 4 inch difference. Which makes according to chairgun about a 5 yds average distance .So not the 50 yds difference I'm experiencing .

Ps a bc change can make the difference in range 

Velocities should be the same for any given barrel length.

57 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

We're just guessing as we often do with animals and birds.  We think ourselves so smart but have yet to be able to ask them  

Really. Well Attenborough studied Wildlife and gave the answers NOT me.

Anyway how come other Migratory Birds don't fly in a V !!!!!! 

I've never seen a V of Swallows Starlings Pigeons etc and those can fly at High altitude and very long distance :yes: 

1 hour ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Really. Well Attenborough studied Wildlife and gave the answers NOT me.

Anyway how come other Migratory Birds don't fly in a V !!!!!! 

I've never seen a V of Swallows Starlings Pigeons etc and those can fly at High altitude and very long distance :yes: 

Maybe its due to there size ,they need to form this style so they can see were they are going . As with driving a car , and wanting to over take some thing bigger infront of you , you have to move out a little to see whats ahead .

10 hours ago, motty said:

Velocities should be the same for any given barrel length.

The longer a projectile is in the barrel under pressure the higher the velocity of said projectile; this is obviously subject to diminishing returns, so between say 30 and 32 inches, sure there may be a tiny difference, but make those differences larger and it will become much more noticeable.

Check out this guy's masters paper below. He chopped 2 inches off his Mosin Nagant and did several chronos at each length. 

http://honors.usf.edu/documents/thesis/u82488180.pdf

tl;dr: Graph below

Capture.PNG