Anyone using a .25 spring powered rifle

washerboy

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

I hate to disagree with you but your completely  wrong .your facts are upside down .and you have been following old wives tales ..there is no way on earth a .177 wadcutter penetrates more in any medium  than any .25 cal pellet .

Go shoot some stuff .owt you want from gel to potatoes.clay or books ..you will see the low bc pellet stops very quickly against the heavy .25 cal .

The frontal sectional area is only a small part of the equation  and doesnt override the more significant bc.of the pellet 

That is why I am comparing apples to apples (H&N Barracuda Extreme in 177 and 25), both are low bc wadcutters of the same design from the same manufacturer.

Unfortunately, I gave up my 177 a number of years ago and so can't do a 177/25 comparison but could do a 22/25 comparison in FTT or Extremes - will see if I can set that up in next week.

In the meantime, run the numbers through Chairgun and they will confirm - I use the published figures off the H&N website to confirm for Barracuda Extremes, Hornets and FTT - all give the same result - 177 version of the pellet design has greater penetration for same starting energy.

To add to the mix, my 177 passes through most quarry (not rabbits). So the 177 tends to pass through before it gets a chance to dump its energy. The 'effective energy dump' must be less than a 22 which stays inside a quarry (all the energy has been expended).