Interview

Neverforget

Make sure you know all the company guff. Core values, company motto all that rubbish. HR and the upper echelons love that stuff if your with a big company.

Depends on what/who you will be managing as well. Always good to have a little development plan written up that you can whip out. Maybe a print out of a power point presentation with bullet points of what you have done, work/contracts completed, work you were particularly proud of and received praise for etc. Have a few copies of these to hand out to the interviewers if they would like. Shows you've put at least a little time and effort before hand.

Have a list of questions ready to ask about your potential role.

Think about the dreaded question they love to ask. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 

As above be yourself and try not to get worked up before hand. If you are relaxed you'll be able to fend off questions easier.

Good luck.

Edited by arm3000gt

Try and find out as well if they are going to throw in any competency based questions in during the interview. For senior positions our firm tend to go for them if they do have a look up on the internet as to some of the likely questions so you can have some examples ready as most firms tend to use the same type.

These tend to be of the type "tell me about a mistake you made, what went wrong and what did you learn from it" or "tell me about a project you were involved with what when well and what would you have improved". Lot of them about that can be varied for different roles but they can floor people if they are not expecting them as the mind can go blank when trying to think of a decent example.  

37 minutes ago, arm3000gt said:

Make sure you know all the company guff. Core values, company motto all that rubbish. HR and the upper echelons love that stuff if your with a big company.

Depends on what/who you will be managing as well. Always good to have a little development plan written up that you can whip out. Maybe a print out of a power point presentation with bullet points of what you have done, work/contracts completed, work you were particularly proud of and received praise for etc. Have a few copies of these to hand out to the interviewers if they would like. Shows you've put at least a little time and effort before hand.

Have a list of questions ready to ask about your potential role.

Think about the dreaded question they love to ask. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 

As above be yourself and try not to get worked up before hand. If you are relaxed you'll be able to fend off questions easier.

Good luck.

This above

and LEADERSHIP is a huge biggy. " I am someone who knows the way, shows the way and goes the way" The job is yours sir, where do we sign they shall say.

atb

7diaw

Ultimately, an interview is trying to ascertain three things:

1) Can they do the job? (ie are they competent);

2) Will they do the job? (ie are they committed);

3) Will they fit in?

Clearly, given that you have been there for 7 yrs, 2 & 3 do not apply.  Thus you need to focus on the competencies required for the role as detailed in the person specification.

The interviewers will look at the competencies outlined in the person spec, and will devise questions to ascertain whether or not candidates have the such competencies.  Do the same, imagine your are one of the interviewers - what questions would you ask to ascertain whether the candidates have these skills?  Prepare answers for such questions.

Further, make sure you are up to speed - I am sure you are - with all that is on company’s website/in house magazine.

Questions for the panel?  If you don’t have any genuine queries, don’t bother.

Goodluck!

Love and Mercy

Fair Imogen

The best of luck. I always buy a new shirt for a job interview, get my interview suit cleaned, full windsor knot, haircut and beard trimmed twice in the week before to ensure no missed bits, polished shoes, and usually find the thinly veilded questions about commitment to location and job tricky (I move however often I need to in order to progress). 

If doing my last interview again I would have tried to come up in advance with reasons I wanted to work in that location beyond wanting that job (in honesty i was just interested in the job, which I got, but I suspect it would have been advantageous at times to be thought to be a long term prospect). Conversely friends applying for other jobs have come unstuck by looking too unlikely to move if the job needed them to. 

My brother always pulls the accounts and if things look remotely unhealthy asks if the panel if they feel the company is a safe bet for the next five years, or alternatively ask why they are doing better than their competitors. 

You're already over half way there by being bothered to do the preparation ... good stuff!!

Loads of stuff online ... having 'stock answers' to regular question will be a big help. When preparing, really think about how to get the message you want across in a concise way. It also really helps to make sure you understand exactly what's being asked ... if the questions a bit tricky .. you can buy time by stating your not 100% sure of the question and getting them to restate it in another way, or by playing it back ... "so if I understand correctly your looking for an example of where ..." That bit of time you needs is much better filled like this than umming and erring.

There is also value in the STAR technique outlined below ... especially in the type of question from Zetter above ...

• Situation – set the context for your story. For example, "We were due to be delivering a presentation to a group of 30 interested industry players on our new product and Stuart, the guy due to deliver it, got stuck on a train from Birmingham."

Task – what was required of you. For example, "It was my responsibility to find an alternative so it didn't reflect badly on the company and we didn't waste the opportunity."

Activity – what you actually did. For example, "I spoke to the event organisers to find out if they could change the running order. They agreed so we bought ourselves some time. I contacted Susan, another member of the team, who at a push could step in. She agreed to drop what she was doing and head to the event."

Result – how well the situation played out. For example, "Stuart didn't make the meeting on time but we explained the problem to the delegates and Susan's presentation went well – a bit rough around the edges but it was warmly received. Stuart managed to get there for the last 15 minutes to answer questions. As a result we gained some good contacts, at least two of which we converted into paying clients."

Be yourself 100% ... but be yourself on a brilliant day !!

Whilst you say you don’t want to mention who it’s for this will make a big difference to your approach: 

councils / government have very specific interviews they have to have so everyone gets fair chance, they also often publish what criteria needs to be covered and whether this needs to be evidenced at interview or application. 

Also just be confident - fake it until you make it really holds weight (just don’t lie and say you can do things you can’t) - I will often say if I haven’t done something etc but list similar things I’ve done and how I feel the skills and experience can transfer over into the new role. 

Good luck! 

On 14/01/2018 at 19:56, Neverforget said:

Good evening gents and ladies

Proberbly got the  most important  day of my  working life mid week , going for promotion to manager 

Big interview worked for them for seven years (not say who ) any tips would be appreciated 

Cheers

Expect the unexpected.   Does the manager have any family working working with you?