White Fallow in Northants

Longstrider

I've been looking after a herd of white fallow for a few years on one of my permissions. They've been in a 120 acre enclosure of rough ground with cover, open spaces, ponds and a brook, with a high chain-link fence around it for just about for ever and I've seen the herd grow and thrive (with the obligatory measure of lovely venison coming my way when the times were right)

However, over the Xmas period we've had 2 trees blow down and destroy the fence ....

I managed to mend the fencing and keep about 15 of the beasts in the enclosure, but by then we'd lost most of them into the surrounding countryside. Then, yesterday another hole caused by a falling branch from a weeping willow .. I was watching the remaining animals mill around near it, wondering how I to get around them to shoo them back into enclosure away from the hole just as the neighboring farm started shooting...

The gap was just big enough, and sure enough I watched in horror as what was left of them leapt through the gap and scattered to the 4 winds.

I suppose one or two might hang around or even return, but in the meantime if anyone in the area happens across a bounty of white fallow on their land and needs a hand knocking one or two over, please give me a shout.

Edited by Longstrider

We have been told there is fallow on some ground that me and my mate stalk. We have taken a lot of roe and muntjac but as yet not even seen any fallow. The local game deeler has assured us there in the area. I have heard they can go virtually nocturnal if disturbed too much. To be fair this does seem the case with most deer