Oil boiler part question

Jonty

Hi folks, I'm after some help from someone who knows oil boilers.  I need to get hold of a spare part for a temporary fix whilst new boiler arrives.  Does anyone know what the component to the right of the picture is - it's the light coloured box with the red illuminated push switch.  It's something along the lines of ignition box I think - just as a note, it will be installed by a competant person, it's just the name the plumber called it doesn't tally with what I can find on the online parts lists.  Boiler is a very old trianco TRO 20 25

Thanks in advance

image.jpeg

The part with the red light on it is a control box, looks like and old danfoss one which is now obsolete sadly. To replace it you would need to replace the control boxes and it's base {re-wire} with a satronic upgrade kit.

Are you sure the box has failed? what are the symptoms?

The ignition transformer should send a continuous arc over (spark) into the draft tube into the edge of the oil spray on starting. Any sparking lower down on the electrodes might just necessitate a thorough cleaning, how ever the Danfoss EB1 ignition transformer was always prone to burning out the insulation outputs. I used to try a large wrap of insulation tape around the ignition push fits into the transformer or just re positioning the transformer away from the side of the burner casing to try and stop it shorting out.

Gents, thank you, there's some great info here, thank you.  I've found the transformer and it does appear to be where the sparking is occurring. I put some tape over the melted area, but seemingly not enough.  I'm still getting sparking but less than before I applied the tape.  Is it a case of more tape or would a new transformer be a better solution, I'm very grateful for the advise as its Baltic here and I'm having to do a bit of scraping together to afford a new boiler so a short term fix while I get there would be really appreciated.

image.jpeg

Try and clean up the out put terminals as much as possible with a file or scraper of some sort, this will help reduce the carbon tracks to earth, get as much tape around the HT leads push ends as possible so long as they still push fit. Remove the transformer from its holder and let it hang loose,  the idea being to make the electrode spark gap a lower resistance to jump, than arcing to earth. If you feel really adventuresome reduce or make sure that the electrode spark gap in the draft tube is about 1/10th of an inch (this also will aid the spark jump. When the air blast comes through the draft tube the spark arc will naturally increase.

aga man is right that the best solution is a new transformer but needs must.

Edited by Flyboy1950
agreeing with agaman

Shoot the pigeon, I'm going to drop you a PM and take you up on your kind offer, and happy to donate to any charity you like.

when cleaning up the existing unit, the plastic crumbled on the housing, obviously through being ancient!

i did clean everything up, remove the unit and let it hang loose after insulating the exposed ht lead connection, I didn't get any sparking (hooray) but i also didn't get any ignition.  I'll try again with a replacement transformer.  This is all new to me so an interesting venture. Flyboy, I will look in the draft tube tomorrow RE the spark gap, I did wonder if pulling on the ht leads would have disjointed anything.

thanks again all 

image.jpeg

Here's a picture of a radiator.... A hot radiator, and the first time it's been hot since Saturday.  I just wanted to say a huge thank you to Aga Man, Fly Boy and Shootthepigeon for all their help , advice, and in the case of Shootthepigeon, the really generous help of posting out the replacement part and being on the end of a phone.  PW at its best! I now know a lot more about oil boilers than I did a week ago... Thanks gents, if you're ever heading up to the Yorkshire Dales, drop me a message, I'd like to return the favour.

image.jpeg

I was also happy to have helped Jonty. Something very satisfying in fixing things yourself even if you do need a bit guidance from like minded folk.:good:

Might well drop you that message sometime. Especially if you are anywhere near Pateley bridge. The wife and I are quite partial to that area.

On 20 January 2018 at 18:05, aga man said:

I was also happy to have helped Jonty. Something very satisfying in fixing things yourself even if you do need a bit guidance from like minded folk.:good:

Might well drop you that message sometime. Especially if you are anywhere near Pateley bridge. The wife and I are quite partial to that area.

You'd be very welcome to do so, drop me a PM if you head up this way