British Roswell

FairImogen

I completely believe in UFO's, mainly because I've seen loads over the years, all of which have proved to be aircraft or clouds, so don't really subscribe to the little green men theory.  A small number are almost certainly secret and/or experimental aircraft.  Think of the SR71 Blackbird,  that thing first flew in 1964 and was kept secret for nearly a decade, so if they had that sort of thing in the 60's, what on earth have they got know that we're not being told about?

sr71.jfif

I saw (or thought I saw) a UFO when I was out walking my dog nearing sunset one night. We were going down a straight country lane with not a soul in sight. Up ahead appeared a white luminous ball shaped presence slowly coming towards us. The dog was clearly spooked, but I figured if they were aliens they'd zap us anyway so we carried on towards it. When we got close the true horror manifested itself, it was two very fat women dressed in white trouser suits walking arm in arm.  :lol:

Edited by TriBsa

9 hours ago, TriBsa said:

I saw (or thought I saw) a UFO when I was out walking my dog nearing sunset one night. We were going down a straight country lane with not a soul in sight. Up ahead appeared a white luminous ball shaped presence slowly coming towards us. The dog was clearly spooked, but I figured if they were aliens they'd zap us anyway so we carried on towards it. When we got close the true horror manifested itself, it was two very fat women dressed in white trouser suits walking arm in arm.  :lol:

I saw the same alien couple on the sea front at Weston. :)

Back in the 60s I worked with a chap on the traffic police in Solihull. Early one morning when on night he came on the radio with a report of a sighting of something he could not identify or get his head around. This was not that far from the old Birmingham Airport and a check there indicated the staff had no indication anyhting was in the area and the airport was closed down for the night.  When he came into the Station later, he was obviously disturbed about the incident. Now this chap was as solid as a rock, the kind you would happilly have alongside when you waded into a pub fight. He became, maybe obsessed is a bit strong,  from that night on, that there were some things the world was not aware of.  He continued after retirement to delve into what records the Government had and this then resulted in a visit by two men in plain clothes, approaching his house and telling him basically to forget it and mind his own business.

We humans are so cock sure of ourselves, just go out on a clear night and look up in the sky. We are but a grain of sand, on a grain of sand, on a grain of sand. 

It was said by a famous cosmologist, that the chances of there being other life forms in the universe other than ours was so great, there was a possibility a person looking exactly  like him, was answering the same question at a University on a planet out there.

30 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

We humans are so cock sure of ourselves, just go out on a clear night and look up in the sky. We are but a grain of sand, on a grain of sand, on a grain of sand. 

It was said by a famous cosmologist, that the chances of there being other life forms in the universe other than ours was so great, there was a possibility a person looking exactly  like him, was answering the same question at a University on a planet out there.

Enrico Fermi may disagree somewhat

1 hour ago, old man said:

Looking on the bright side, a quick look round and they might not stay?

? I sometimes think it would be nice if some enormous spacecraft ( about the size of Australia ) descended and hovered over the earth for a few days, and then some little green man with a loudhailer stuck his head out and told us ‘if you don’t get yourselves sorted and stop killing each other, well come back and turn the earth into a glass marble.’ It may be worth it just to see the look on the faces of all those Middle East loonies, that Korean loonie, that N. American loonie and that Russian loonie. ?

Edit: Or any loonie worthy of the title. ?

Edited by Scully

1 hour ago, henry d said:

Enrico Fermi may disagree somewhat

I've often pondered this and am firmly in the aliens and intelligent life almost certainly exists somewhere in the universe, my reasoning, 1. any civilisation able to transverse such huge distances would surely be able to visit undetected? or 2. maybe earth is so un unique throughout the universe they have no interest in visiting? or 3. interstellar travel maybe to energy expensive or difficult even with highly advanced technology?

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Well, Puma Punku would be a good place to start

Ana alternate view can be found for this; a quick precis below.

We do not claim to know how the heavy lifting and exquisite masonry was accomplished at Pumapunku, but that's a far cry from saying we believe the Tiwanaku were incapable of it. We simply don't have a record of what tools and techniques they used. All around the world are examples of stonemasonry from the period that is equally impressive. The Greek Parthenon, for example, was built a thousand years before Pumapunku, and yet nobody invokes aliens as the only explanation for its great beauty and decorative detailing that more than rivals Pumapunku's angles and cuts. At about the same time, the Persians constructed Persepolis with its superlative Palace of Darius, featuring details that are highly comparable to Pumapunku. Stonemasons in India cut the Udayagiri Caves with megalithic doorways that are very similar to those in Pumapunku. The Tiwanaku did magnificent work, but by no means was it inexplicably superior to what can be found throughout the ancient world. It is unnecessary to invoke aliens to explain the structures.

Or the full transcript HERE

2 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I've often pondered this and am firmly in the aliens and intelligent life almost certainly exists somewhere in the universe, my reasoning, 1. any civilisation able to transverse such huge distances would surely be able to visit undetected? or 2. maybe earth is so un unique throughout the universe they have no interest in visiting? or 3. interstellar travel maybe to energy expensive or difficult even with highly advanced technology?

I had to dig to find this as it was a couple of years ago I read it iirc. Summation below, but please read the full article if you have time.

What is the explanation of why we have not been visited? One possibility is that the argument, about the appearance of life on Earth, is wrong. Maybe the probability of life spontaneously appearing is so low, that Earth is the only planet in the galaxy, or in the observable universe, in which it happened. Another possibility is that there was a reasonable probability of forming self reproducing systems, like cells, but that most of these forms of life did not evolve intelligence. We are used to thinking of intelligent life, as an inevitable consequence of evolution. But the Anthropic Principle should warn us to be wary of such arguments. It is more likely that evolution is a random process, with intelligence as only one of a large number of possible outcomes. It is not clear that intelligence has any long-term survival value. Bacteria, and other single cell organisms, will live on, if all other life on Earth is wiped out by our actions. There is support for the view that intelligence, was an unlikely development for life on Earth, from the chronology of evolution. It took a very long time, two and a half billion years, to go from single cells to multi-cell beings, which are a necessary precursor to intelligence. This is a good fraction of the total time available, before the Sun blows up. So it would be consistent with the hypothesis, that the probability for life to develop intelligence, is low. In this case, we might expect to find many other life forms in the galaxy, but we are unlikely to find intelligent life. Another way, in which life could fail to develop to an intelligent stage, would be if an asteroid or comet were to collide with the planet. We have just observed the collision of a comet, Schumacher-Levi, with Jupiter. It produced a series of enormous fireballs. It is thought the collision of a rather smaller body with the Earth, about 70 million years ago, was responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs. A few small early mammals survived, but anything as large as a human, would have almost certainly been wiped out. It is difficult to say how often such collisions occur, but a reasonable guess might be every twenty million years, on average. If this figure is correct, it would mean that intelligent life on Earth has developed only because of the lucky chance that there have been no major collisions in the last 70 million years. Other planets in the galaxy, on which life has developed, may not have had a long enough collision free period to evolve intelligent beings. 

A third possibility is that there is a reasonable probability for life to form, and to evolve to intelligent beings, in the external transmission phase. But at that point, the system becomes unstable, and the intelligent life destroys itself. This would be a very pessimistic conclusion. I very much hope it isn't true. I prefer a fourth possibility: there are other forms of intelligent life out there, but that we have been overlooked. There used to be a project called SETI, the search for extra-terrestrial intelligence. It involved scanning the radio frequencies, to see if we could pick up signals from alien civilisations. I thought this project was worth supporting, though it was cancelled due to a lack of funds. But we should have been wary of answering back, until we have develop a bit further. Meeting a more advanced civilisation, at our present stage, might be a bit like the original inhabitants of America meeting Columbus. I don't think they were better off for it

Stephen Hawking on life in the universe

9 hours ago, old06 said:

Be careful, that link just loaded a load of adverts and spam to my phone, aliens? :sick:

On 16/01/2018 at 08:11, oowee said:

I saw the same alien couple on the sea front at Weston. 

You will see a few walking around Birkenhead with their fat little offspring clutching what looks like ray guns but in fact are beef burgers.