Magnet Shy

I went out on Friday afternoon last to shoot over rape and spring drillings at a new shoot where there has been regular shooting by a single retired gun over the last few months sometimes 2 or 3 times a week.

There was no shortage of Pigeons saw literally 100,s during the day and a big roost nearby of perhaps 500 birds ( Will be shooting it later this week)

Having spent two or three hours over a couple of days sussing out the flightline and the best fields to decoy I set up 30 shell deeks with the magnet positioned at the head of them in the traditional patterns and retired to my hide in the hedge (completely unseen) even charlie walked past late afternoon.

The birds came through the flightline one after the other from 1.00pm at too high a altitude to hit and when directly over the rotary veered off suddenly almost as if they Knew something was amiss. This happened for about two hours and thinking perhaps my Truck was parked a little too close I moved it and walked back to the hide only for the same thing to happen for the next hour..

At 4 oclock I was going to call it a day with only 1 pigeon and 1 curious maggie in the bag and pulled out the rotary and took it down, as I walked back to the hide to get the bag it went in I heard a flurry of wings and three birds at shootable range saw me and veered off left of the decoys.

I decided to sit it out for another hour and for some strange reason the birds came in bolder and lower than before and enabled me to shoot 26 in the final hour.

I can only deduce that they were becoming magnet shy as the regular shot deployed his generally all the time with only a couple of deeks..

Any one had this happen ? or have any thoughts ?...

FM.

mike

yes had same thing happen to me . as you packed whirly up and started spanking .

have noticed it has happened on a sunny day.

you did not say what the weather cond where .

not that it can matter sometimes.

you never know what to do for the best sometimes with woodies.

GOOD SHOOTING.

It sounds as though the retired gent has a rotary and has used it regularly, probably spooking the birds.

I vary my layout throughout the day (number of decoys, shape of layout etc) and I use floaters, rather than the rotary.

Sometimes the simplest of changes, makes things happen.

Or, it could all be just a coincidence, thats what makes it interesting.

I have never understood the theory, that the presence of crows, gives pigeons confidence.

Also, what is natural about a pigeon chasing a crow around in a circle( or the other way round) ? :D

red, we know crows are wary, but do pigeons ?

On the countless occasions that I have observed pigeons feeding, I have never seen crows in the same vicinity.

They don,t feed on the same things, so thats not a suprise.

To introduce a crow, or crows, to a decoy layout, would therefore be presenting an "unusual" picture.

Just my thoughts. :D

On the countless occasions that I have observed pigeons feeding, I have never seen crows in the same vicinity.

They don,t feed on the same things, so thats not a suprise

I have to disagree there Cranners. I've often seen Crows and Pigeons feeding within feet of each other especially so on Wheat stubbles. One guy last year shot 80 Crows and 150 Pigeons from the same bale hide in a wheat stubble. His decoy pattern ended up just one big mass of Pigeons and Crows, the birds still poured in.

I have seen crows or rooks on the same stubbles as pigeons, but not intermingled with them, they have always kept to their own areas.

I have never seen them together on growing rape.

I certainly have never seen them flying in circles, chasing each other, like reds rotary. :P

I suppose its the variations, that makes pigeon shooting interesting. :P

Having just had a superb 2 months shooting ( 1150 pigeons shot ) from the same maize gamecrop, same hide with the same pattern containing magnet, 15 dead bird cradles, 20 plastic decoys, angel and floater. I can safely say in this instance the pigeons were anything but magnet shy.

In past decoying experiences I have had birds that appear to be totally disinterested in any decoy pattern. This behaviour I put down to-

1. They have already fed.

2. Milder weather in winter months means they can be a little less keen due to possible other food alternatives.

3. They are feeding elsewhere and are only passing your chosen spot.

4. Sun reflecting off decoying equipment.

5. The field had been shot previously, possibly the day before.

I have seen pigeons become totally unresponsive in february when loads of shooters are out on the edges of woods using magnets and other gadgets. During this period I believe pigeons see far to many patterns placed on fields they are not used to feeding. After they have had a shot or two in their direction they are highly unlikely to decoy unless you are positioned on a field they are using and have confidence in comming to.