Quad shifting zero with different barrels.

Dave-G

Bear with my mild dyslexia please - I know what I meant but the title is not totally descriptive.

Almost every time I take my Sako Quad out, either with the 17 HMR barrel - or the .22lr barrel, both with their own sound mods, and different scopes, the zero has changed from the last outing!

Once re-zeroed it remains good for that outing. This is despite changing scopes with both calibers and wringing the mounts up hard onto the rail. All mounts are done up desperation tight too.

I'd had to change the HMR barrel a few years ago because it consistently went all over the place after about 7000 rounds. I'm thinking I screwed that up with too much Bronze brush rodding so have reduced the cleaning shedule since. The replacement has only done about 3000 rounds.

I heard somewhere .22lr barrels never wear out. If it was a cleaning issue I suspect the problem would be there all the time.

Any Ideas chaps because I can't afford to keep buying new scopes for it. :sad1:

I can only suggest mounts should not be overtightened on scope ar least.

I use a bore snake every blue moon on both .22lr and .17hmr with no accuracy issues at all.

I have edited my post because I initially misread your post.

Edited by Good shot?

This is common with the quad. With any gun if you remove the barrel from the action and refitted it the POI would change. 

Nothing to worry about. Don’t do your mounts up too tight though. 

You’ve got to think of barrels and actions in thou. 

A good good barrel may be within 1-2’ thou at the breech but at the muzzle it might be 5 thou out. This is fine. But when you change the barrel it’s never going to go back to exactly the same place every time in exactly the same way. 

If it’s a big problem sell one of the barrels and buy a dedicated .22LR or .17HMR

Not 100% sure of how the barrel locks into the action but if the barrel goes on twisted round, then the rifling is twisted at the point of exit and that will have a huge effect on the POI. 

Edited by Brad93

Thanks for the thoughts chaps. Darned dyslexia...

I should have said it occurrs several outings when leaving the same cal/combo/scope in situ.

I about gave up on the HMR so swapped over to the the .22lr/barrel/mod/scope. I zero the replacement calibre only to find the same thing happens next time out... recurring.

I now have to check and correct the wandering zero every outing, either caliber.

EDIT Brad, the barrel is inserted and clamped in with a lug screwed onto a flat under the barrel to lock it in place, there is no chance of the barrel rotating.

Edited by Dave-G

2 hours ago, nicholiath said:

Is the barrel definitely free floating when shooting from various positions?

Could it be a variation between different batches of ammunition?

Yup - barrels are well free floating. HMR was all one batch ammo.

.22lr was one batch till they ran out. Ironically a different batch/brand zero'd wi the same windage and just 1/4" lower at 50 yards when done during the same session.

Could it be ‘your a rubbish shot’?

Just kidding, sorry I cannot contribute anything to the thread as far a technical advice goes.

Myself and take-downs/interchangeable barrels do not get on at all- have a 10/22 takedown and it’s either me or the rifle as I cannot obtain consistent groups, fortunately it’s only my ‘plinker’

I used to have a Quad and never experienced the problem described. Could you or a previous owner overtightened the barrel and damaged the locking mechanism? Also if you've really cranked down on your scope rings you might have damaged your scope. I would recommend you use a torque wrench and get the precise torque settings for the rings from the manufacturer. The FAT wrench is fairly inexpensive and does a good enough job for most purposes;

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Firearms-Accurizing-Torque-Wrench/dp/B0012AXR4S

With regard the quad, I used to use a single scope (not the Quad specific one) (an MTC Viper IIRC) and leave it in place when switching barrels. I then calculated the adjustment to get the point of impact from one calibre to the other and stuck a piece of paper with it on in the lens cap of the scope. Changing scopes every time is just adding another potential problem into the mix.

Best of luck!

Dave what about a picatiny rail and qd mounts for each scope , when zeroed and slotted into the same slot every time that should eliminate any problem there and would also be a lot quicker than zeroing every time , get them from kidneys shooting supplies in the USA ,had loads of gear off them great to deal with and your gear normally lands within a week,plus if your lucky you will escape any import duties

if the problem still persists then it must be a problem with the barrel securing mech

good luck

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/01/2018 at 13:56, telf said:

Dave what about a picatiny rail and qd mounts for each scope , when zeroed and slotted into the same slot every time that should eliminate any problem there and would also be a lot quicker than zeroing every time , get them from kidneys shooting supplies in the USA ,had loads of gear off them great to deal with and your gear normally lands within a week,plus if your lucky you will escape any import duties

if the problem still persists then it must be a problem with the barrel securing mech

good luck

I do just this with my quad.  Use one scope that I have to remove to change the barrels, dial the relevant elevation in (believe it or not the windage is the same) and it’s bang on every time.  Can’t help otherwise but just to show it is possible.  .22 and her barrels.

If it was a POI change between barrel changes I’d say it’s the system either barrel or scope changing but as you say it moves from being together in the cabinet that’s different.   

My first worry is you’ve over tightened the scope mounts damaging your scope or overtightened the barrel locking stud and damaged that system.  

Do any of the studs or screws work loose at all in use possibly why you started tightening so much?

2 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

If it was a POI change between barrel changes I’d say it’s the system either barrel or scope changing but as you say it moves from being together in the cabinet that’s different.   

My first worry is you’ve over tightened the scope mounts damaging your scope or overtightened the barrel locking stud and damaged that system.  

Do any of the studs or screws work loose at all in use possibly why you started tightening so much?

Thanks. Pretty sure I've not crimped anything by overtightening and nothing works loose. I did the screws up tighter than usual because of the shift btween use of the same barrel and scope.

The .22 has now stabilised over three outings, though I'm now reluctant to swap the caliber and am looking for a replacement Quad action, stock and bolt to use with my spare 17HMR barrel and mod - been quoted £560 new so looking for a near shot out 17HMR specific Quad.

I frequently take a shooting companion who doesn't have a rifle so it'd be handy for one of us to use the HMR and the other to take closer shots with the .22lR.

32 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

That's a fall back plan but I like the SAko Quad  - and changing barrels as and when they get shot out is very easy - and straight forwards in respect of ticket slots etc.

Never seen a shot out 17 HMR seen a lot of cleaned out ones how many rounds are you firing? CZ 455 has swappable barrels as well by the way. 

Edited by welshwarrior

Both my original Quad barrel and my brothers Annie HMR barrels started going wide after about 6000 rounds. By 7000 we were trying all sorts of cleaning to sort them out and only replacement barrels got the job done. 

Thanks for the heads up about the CZ455. which now I am aware sounds like my new plan 'B' :good:

Edited by Dave-G
600 typo