New l200 or Navara

ferguson_tom

After a recent accident it looks like my mondeo is a write-off so i will be in the market for a new company car and thinking of going down the pick-up route as need a decent towcar without the £3000 a year company car tax bill. The choice will be between the Navara N-Connect or L200 Barabarian, i think i prefer the navara but the L200 is higher specification and i like my leather seats and gadgets.

Either one will be automatic so it would be good to know peoples real MPG figures as if Navara is much better that would swing me that way and fuel savings make up for missing a few toys. Also how have people found the comfort/ride, i will be doing 30,000 miles a year including long trips to Europe so need something i can do 8 hours stints in if needed. I am used to 4x4s and know it wont handle or ride the same way as a car but what are they like in comparison to say the older Kia Sorento or Discovery TD5?

I have heard some reports of the l200 interior not being as durable as you would hope with broken plastics and worn seats. Anyone experienced this at all?

Thanks in advance.

I have an L200 Barbarian.

it is auto and full leather and is the most comfortable vehicle we have ever driven, regular 5-6 hour trips to Scotland and get out at the other end pretty much fresh as a daisy.  We have done 38k in 18 months so plenty of miles covered.  5 year/60k warranty is pretty decent too.

Economy depends on your right foot.  I usually get 31mpg as I like to get where I'm going.  The missus gets 39mpg with cruise sitting at 60mph.

if you pt chunky tyres on, as I have just done then you lose 10%+ economy so don't do it unless absolutely necessary.

Love this L200, cant fault it.

I’ve had a few l200’s now the latest an 09 plate.  No issue with the plastics not being durable it all seems fine. Seats have stood up well and i’ve Had it 4 years and done nearly 60k in it. Only things changed have been rear springs at 60k so it’s been a cheap motor.

a mate has a new shaped barbarian auto and that is doing 35 plus mpg and been faultless so far. 

Navara if you are going to own it the only real problem is depreciation due to the ongoing chassis problems. It does mean they’ve are cheap if you buy 2nd hand but hard to sell and likely to get worse as the problem gets more publicised. 

Thanks for the information everyone, the MPG from the L200 is better than i expected.

The car will be on lease hire through the firm so really comes down to which offers the best deal once all extras are added on. The navara extras are very expensive (almost double the L200) so this could make a big difference to the monthly costs due to the way the hire companies price them.

I looked at the Fiat but all reviews say its not quite as good as the L200 for couple minor reasons, also if anything does go wrong i can see a Mitsi garage looking it a lot better than a Fiat.

Ive got one of the last series 4 l200's but have driven a series 5 auto and it drove very well. The new navaras are Renault powered, dci engine. the rear suspension is coil springs so maybe bit better ride but felt no where near as maneuverable as the l200. 

I'm pretty sure neither are ad blue. Its all down to personal preferance but I would go for the mitsy. Permenant 4wd on the road too which sets them apart for me.

I drive a 17plate Navara and the adblue needs filled roughly every 1200 miles. It’s very comfy to drive but also very soft on the back end with the new coil springs when loaded up with work gear and with a trailer it looks really low even with the tires at 41psi. The traffic police pulled me in because of this and reckoned they are aimed at the leisure market rather than commercial market. I’m getting 26mpg without the trailer and 23mpg with the 2 tonne trailer so not great on fuel. To be fair it’s all steep country roads I’m on so that’s to be expected. I think if I would look at the L200.

10 hours ago, Squirrel73 said:

I drive a 17plate Navara and the adblue needs filled roughly every 1200 miles. It’s very comfy to drive but also very soft on the back end with the new coil springs when loaded up with work gear and with a trailer it looks really low even with the tires at 41psi. The traffic police pulled me in because of this and reckoned they are aimed at the leisure market rather than commercial market. I’m getting 26mpg without the trailer and 23mpg with the 2 tonne trailer so not great on fuel. To be fair it’s all steep country roads I’m on so that’s to be expected. I think if I would look at the L200.

Thanks for the info, i didnt realise the sagging was a problem with the navara. As far as i can tell the solo ride is very similar between the L200 and Navara certainly not the groundbreaking difference i was expecting. Although it will be rare there will be times the truck will be well loaded up and last thing want is it to let me down when i actually want it to be a pick-up!

The more i look into it the more the L200 seems the best option.

Edited by ferguson_tom

I ride about in a Navara. It's about three years old now. Had it for two years or thereabouts. Had 2000 miles on it when i bought it, ex dealer show motor.

It's now clocked up 20K miles, does everything i need. As Harnser says it's darn comfortable on road.  If you use the cruise control at 60mph you'll get about 40 MPG.

Put your toe down more like < 30 same if you use it a lot sitting in traffic.

I'd buy another as i've had zip all problems with it. The next one will be an automatic though.

WB         

3 hours ago, johnnytheboy said:

What discounts the hilux from you options? 

Engine is very low powered compared to others, not as fuel efficient, doesn't drive as nicely, high spec models are expensive and its an ugly beast. Unless you are planning on driving through the Australian outback or taking over a small country I can't see why anyone would choose one as imo its well behind the new offerings from other manufacturers.

7 hours ago, ferguson_tom said:

Engine is very low powered compared to others, not as fuel efficient, doesn't drive as nicely, high spec models are expensive and its an ugly beast. Unless you are planning on driving through the Australian outback or taking over a small country I can't see why anyone would choose one as imo its well behind the new offerings from other manufacturers.

Not getting into a discussion about which is best, but ask yourself this question. Hilux's are the most expensive out of the pickups, If they are well behind the other offerings then why do they sell? Most people who are looking at pickups, have one reason why they dont choose a Hilux, cost!  There was a thread on here a while ago, where somone hit the nail on the head and said " i was looking at the nissan etc, until i realised i could afford a Hilux"

31 minutes ago, silver pigeon69 said:

Not getting into a discussion about which is best, but ask yourself this question. Hilux's are the most expensive out of the pickups, If they are well behind the other offerings then why do they sell?

I think you are right about the previous generation undoubtedly the 3.0 invincible was by far the best truck on the market but for my use now it doesn't match the comfort and driving performance of the other offerings. As it's on lease and will be going back after 3 years expensive repair bills aren't a concern.

8 minutes ago, ferguson_tom said:

I think you are right about the previous generation undoubtedly the 3.0 invincible was by far the best truck on the market but for my use now it doesn't match the comfort and driving performance of the other offerings. As it's on lease and will be going back after 3 years expensive repair bills aren't a concern.

True, but even though the repairs are under warranty, you dont have a vehicle whilst they are getting repaired! And you don't have to worry about depreciation.

Edit: or the vehicle snapping in half!!

Edited by silver pigeon69