HMR Speed Test 15” Barrel

I was interested in finding out if the cci A17’s do actually achieve 100fps more speed than other 17grain hmr ammo. My rifle has a short 15 inch barrel, so I know to expect slightly lower muzzle velocities than a longer barrel would achieve. I had six different bullets to compare, velocity only, not accuracy in this comparison. Anyway, here are the results...average velocities taken from five shots of each type.

Winchester Varmint HV           2471

Reminton Premier                    2513 

Hornady XTP 20grain              2301

CCI TNT                                     2466

Federal Premium                     2529

CCI A17                                     2571

The cci A17 were actually exactly 100fps faster on average, than the Winchesters. 

B5D5FC39-5183-42F5-A9F1-4B4EC329EB18.jpeg

8 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Well posted, RB.

Did you by any chance record the individual velocities for each cartridge or did you just leave the chrono to give you the average?

I did write them down Phil, and the federals were by far the most consistent. Only varied by a few fps which surprised me. The others varied by about 20-30 fps either side the average. I know that they all give me acceptably good accuracy, with the 20 grain Hornady’s the best. However, I haven’t tested the accuracy of the A17’s yet.

What's the idea behind the extra 100 fps at muzzle .from the cci s ? 

Is it just the extra 20 fpe  at muzzle or only the extra 8 fpe at 150 yds 

The 100 fps advantage reduces to a 70 fps advantage at 150 yds 

:hmm:

I guess if they are accurate and good value then why not .they at least would make up for the 15 inch barrel velocity drop .

:good:

43 minutes ago, Brad93 said:

That data is comparing the barrel tolerances more than the lengths. They're not factory barrels.

:good: True enough. I just happened to have it handy as I'd recently used it elsewhere because of its clarity. It really depends on whether or not a reasonably accurate figure of a 4% reduction in velocity is sufficently precise for your needs. The only accurate alternative is to chrono your barrel

Edited by wymberley