Shed and Buried

Scully

Was channel hopping the other day and came across this delight of a programme. 

I have always been besotted by collectibles of all manner of things, from militaria to motor vehicles, from ceramics to signage and all manner of antiques. 

It has been a lifelong unexplainable passion of mine to ratch and rummage in all manner of places from rubbish tips to skips, and I have collected and sold and swapped over the years what many refer to as ‘tat’, but which to me is treasure. 

I am forever astounded and delighted to discover just what there still is out there lurking in sheds and garages around the country. Binge watched three hours of this programme the other day! 

I like the concept and the programme, but detest the stupid background music. I can think of few worse incidental music tunes.

When I see some of the well equipped workshops, it conjures up an image of what I imagine Ditchman's garage to be like - that is praise enough.

2 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I like the concept and the programme, but detest the stupid background music. I can think of few worse incidental music tunes.

When I see some of the well equipped workshops, it conjures up an image of what I imagine Ditchman's garage to be like - that is praise enough.

mine is more like a highly mechanical toiolet....with an ashtray in the corner...

11 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

It is for this very reason ( the intrusive music, often of what can only be described as ‘crash metal’ .....regardless of topic ) that I can’t bear to watch American versions of similar programmes. 

I started to watch one some time ago about a ‘dig’ in a trench system in Flanders, but sadly had to turn it off after a couple of minutes. 

Must admit I can’t recall hearing the background music to Shed and Buried! No doubt it’ll ‘intrude’ now you’ve mentioned it. You may have just spoiled this programme for me Gordon! ?

2 hours ago, Scully said:

It is for this very reason ( the intrusive music, often of what can only be described as ‘crash metal’ .....regardless of topic ) that I can’t bear to watch American versions of similar programmes. 

I started to watch one some time ago about a ‘dig’ in a trench system in Flanders, but sadly had to turn it off after a couple of minutes. 

Must admit I can’t recall hearing the background music to Shed and Buried! No doubt it’ll ‘intrude’ now you’ve mentioned it. You may have just spoiled this programme for me Gordon! ?

Turn the volume off and put teletext on. Sorted.:good:

2 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Sam Lovegrove seems to know his way around electrics - always impresses me how they get engines running after years of neglect.

It always amazes me how people hold out for top dollar on stuff which is rusting away to nothing.

Amazes me also. Some of those with impressive collections aren’t exactly in their first flush of youth. I sometimes wonder just what it is they’re saving them for? 

A local property owner ( miserly beyond belief ) found a complete MGB GT  under a tarpaulin in the back of a hotel garage he’s just bought, some years ago. I told him where he should advertise it and gave it no further thought, only to discover a few years ago that, worried he’d get ripped off, he left it round the back of his house where it rusted away beyond salvage. Prune. 

Edited by Scully

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Was channel hopping the other day and came across this delight of a programme. 

I have always been besotted by collectibles of all manner of things, from militaria to motor vehicles, from ceramics to signage and all manner of antiques. 

It has been a lifelong unexplainable passion of mine to ratch and rummage in all manner of places from rubbish tips to skips, and I have collected and sold and swapped over the years what many refer to as ‘tat’, but which to me is treasure. 

I am forever astounded and delighted to discover just what there still is out there lurking in sheds and garages around the country. Binge watched three hours of this programme the other day! 

Like the program but wish they would buy decent items some of the pieces are Mickey Mouse.

10 minutes ago, Fatcatsplat said:

See if you can find the documentary Henry Cole made about the Bonneville salt flats and his journey there after being a heroin addict for quite a few years - Very inspiring and very, very British

http://www.travelchannel.co.uk/shows/the-worlds-greatest-motorcycle-rides-the-ultimate-challenge

Cheers Fatcatsplat; will do. Sounds interesting . ?

one of the programmes showed them down in cornwall or somewhere like that...and they were shown an old funny looking landrover with weird body parts and a strange looking engine in it..........turned out to be a rolls royce / landrover experimental jobby....they made a few....only a few.......worth shed loads of money i rekon.........

22 minutes ago, ditchman said:

one of the programmes showed them down in cornwall or somewhere like that...and they were shown an old funny looking landrover with weird body parts and a strange looking engine in it..........turned out to be a rolls royce / landrover experimental jobby....they made a few....only a few.......worth shed loads of money i rekon.........

They could have bought an Austin Champ complete with Rolls Royce engine as standard.

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 18:15, Scully said:

Amazes me also. Some of those with impressive collections aren’t exactly in their first flush of youth. I sometimes wonder just what it is they’re saving them for? 

A local property owner ( miserly beyond belief ) found a complete MGB GT  under a tarpaulin in the back of a hotel garage he’s just bought, some years ago. I told him where he should advertise it and gave it no further thought, only to discover a few years ago that, worried he’d get ripped off, he left it round the back of his house where it rusted away beyond salvage. Prune. 

Did you see the one in the states a while back? Similar thing think someone had bought a property which had a large barn with the doors welded shut, turned out it was full of classic cars, made a fortune.

9 hours ago, Mice! said:

Did you see the one in the states a while back? Similar thing think someone had bought a property which had a large barn with the doors welded shut, turned out it was full of classic cars, made a fortune.

No. Can’t say I saw that one. I often view Pinterest due to my interest in art, and there are hundreds of pictures on there of car and other vehicle  ‘finds’ from around the world. 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

No. Can’t say I saw that one. I often view Pinterest due to my interest in art, and there are hundreds of pictures on there of car and other vehicle  ‘finds’ from around the world. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/man-buys-house-locked-barn-3937043

• 4 years later...

I also love the show but hate the music, i take a guess that cole either wrote or play or both this music, since it's the same on the show worlds greatest motorcycle rides with him too, and it's the same 3-4 horrible tunes... But i'm a fan of that show too and Hope there will be more rides!