Best Reloading Data Books

Any recommendations for a good reloading data book for a newbie?

I've come across this book or are there better alternatives for my needs?

http://www.cdsgltd.co.uk/lee-handbook.html

I'm mainly after steel load data for 12ga between 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells I know I wont be saving anything money wise in the scheme of things but that isn't my concern.

Mainly after pigeon, duck and geese load data.

I currently use Gamebore Super Steel in No. 4 shot and quite like that, I have a thousand or so ready for action and was going to use the spent hulls for reloading purposes. Would clay cartridge spent hulls be suitable for reloading steel or are they not robust enough for steel applications (Hull super fast).

Any advice / recommendations greatly appreciated. 

That manual is for centre fire firearms ammunition so would be no good for you. I have the Lyman reloading manual for shot shells, but that’s only any good if you can get America powder. Clays and Game do sell data for the powders from Europe that is sells. Folkestone Engineers also does reloading data. I hope that’s some help.

46 minutes ago, motty said:

I believe that book is for rifle loads.

Thanks for saving me £20! 

42 minutes ago, cervusman said:

That manual is for centre fire firearms ammunition so would be no good for you. I have the Lyman reloading manual for shot shells, but that’s only any good if you can get America powder. Clays and Game do sell data for the powders from Europe that is sells. Folkestone Engineers also does reloading data. I hope that’s some help.

Thanks I’ll take a look! 

I bought a suitable load data sheet from C&G.

Found a load i'd like to make however it's specifying the use of A-356 powder, can this even be purchased anymore all the Alliant powders for sale in the UK don't have this option from what I've found?

I was ideally looking for loads specific to the Alliant Steel powder however I think this is newer to the market than when these data sheets were drawn up that I have from C&G?

Does anybody use Alliant Steel and if so what primers do you use? When looking at the Alliant data sheet they suggest the FED209A primer is utilised, Which i'm also struggling to obtain or is this now listed as a CCI primer and proven to be a direct replacement or are there differences?

Obviously Im new to loading so don't know enough to be doing anything that strays from a specific used and approved load.

I'm assuming the Rio 209 primers are not a suitable replacement to the FED209A?

Guest cookoff013

youve got yourself in a bit of a pickle.

you obviously havent been around for a while so i`m going to give you some advice. all of the components you have discussed are either unobtainable or there is very little chance you will get. alliant steel is a mightly fine powder and really should be only used for 1,1/4oz steel loads (thats my opinion). it is not readily available but there are many reports that people are buying it or stockpiling it. the other powders for "reloading steel shot in 12gauge" are ssb150,alliant 381, and some misc others.

those fed209a primers are reputed to be hot, hotter than the standard cheddite cx2000. due to its manufacture in america, its imported and is expensive compared to primers that are european. those rio primers are reputed to be hot. to what extent, i dont know.

as with all components, they should not be replaced with an alternate. it may be dangerous.

the 2,3/4 hulls are fine for re-loading. dependent on your recipe, i`m betting 2.75" hulls have limited applications where steel shot is concerned.

As for your application, of one shell for pigeon / duck /goose, is slightly flawed as there is no one single "steel" shell thats going to fullfill all your criteria.

( Q.     is your gun proofed to HP)

my opinion for you is this.

use a 3" format, it is very friendly for nontoxic shot, and specificly steel shot, 

forget alliant steel, its hard to obtain but performs exceptional, the alternate, is limiting the payload to 32g steel shot and 1400fps, and using A0 powder.

use shotsizes #2 for duck and pigeons, and BB for goose.

here is some data, to look at.

http://www.nobelsport.it/public/pages/ENG/p_polveriVR.asp?RISUL_New=y&Ramo=0&Cat1ID=367

the steel shot / 32g load used to be advertised in a 3" / 76mm version, and average of 750 bar puts it over the standard pressure rating of 740. meanin gthe recipe is HP. meaning its higher pressure for guns proofed to 1320bar with the fleur de lyse.
with these loads you can easily buy cheddite primers, powder, and hulls. the only information that is not present is wad information. that is a big concern. i would research this some more. and ask around here again for some information on A0 powder. the comon wads that are used for european loads are gualandi tubo wad and the B&P s32. but please find specific data.

the mec bushings for A0 you`d need are around 38-39 / 38a etc. (dependent on machine).

coo

Cookoff

Yes my gun I'll use for all steel loads is HP steel proof with 3 inch chambers.

Thank you very much for your response, it's very much appreciated, I'll definitely follow your advice for the 32g loads for pigeons / ducks and look into the A0 powders and other aforementioned items a little more for specific loads, I don't plan on switching any components I just want to follow tried, tested and specified loads.

Also I don't wish to load or even buy any reloading products until I'm a bit more clued up, I don't want to rush and make any mistakes.

Since my original post I have looked into the heavier load for geese (37g BB Load) 

For this based on load data I acquired through C&G I'd utilise:

- New Cheddite 76mm cartridges with cx2000 primer.

- Gualandi LBC 53 Wad (Slit 4 ways)

- A-356 Powder which I believe is Alliant however I can't find a stocker of this powder unless it is no   longer in circulation. Obviously I don't wish to replace the powder with an alternative but instead find a similar simple load based around a powder I can actually acquire.

I have noticed this load is very slow though so I need to look further into it, i'd rather have something between the 1400-1500fps than 1300 which seems to involve the use of felt base and overshot components.

I enjoy the research so I will look into those resources you provided me with.

Thank you for your time and input!

Matt

Edited by Matty89

Guest cookoff013

thanks for checking your gun compatability. i can be more accurate in my replys.

the 37g larger shot payloads are where super slow powders are best suited to get decent speed out of steel shot.

i have serious doubts that you`d be able to aquire A356 powder. i`ve googles it a bunch just now, and no product, product spec or sales stuff.

how have you noticed this load is slow? 

why would you rather have something 1400fps - 1500fps?  1400fps is fast, especially when the data says it is not magazine hype.

alliant steel is pretty good for steel shot.

32 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

thanks for checking your gun compatability. i can be more accurate in my replys.

the 37g larger shot payloads are where super slow powders are best suited to get decent speed out of steel shot.

i have serious doubts that you`d be able to aquire A356 powder. i`ve googles it a bunch just now, and no product, product spec or sales stuff.

how have you noticed this load is slow? 

why would you rather have something 1400fps - 1500fps?  1400fps is fast, especially when the data says it is not magazine hype.

alliant steel is pretty good for steel shot.

Yes that was my concern with A356 powder, similarly with Alliant Steel they seem to recommend FED209A primers which I can't get hold of either, I always seem to be struggling to get hold of one component or another or struggling to find a proven load data with use of alternate components. I think the data sheet from C&G is from around 2010 maybe earlier so some components may have been superseded I'm not sure.

With regards to the load being slow, this was just my inexperienced interpretation in comparison to other loads available on the same data sheet all of which use the cx2000 primer:

This load specifies an Extrap Vm 1312fps it just seemed slow in comparison to some of the alternatives (using different powders) that were mainly between 1400/1500fps although they were using felt base and overcards etc.

I understand you wish to reload, Matty, but I'm not sure its really worth the hassle for you, especially for duck loads.

Factory ammunition is pretty good and also pretty cheap. I used to reload a lot of steel shells for duck, but now I only really bother with 3 1/2" steel loads for the 10 and 12.

2 hours ago, cervusman said:

I was told by a chap at Folkestone engineering that their data is free on the internet for powders that are available in UK.

cheers mate ill have a look.

49 minutes ago, motty said:

I understand you wish to reload, Matty, but I'm not sure its really worth the hassle for you, especially for duck loads.

Factory ammunition is pretty good and also pretty cheap. I used to reload a lot of steel shells for duck, but now I only really bother with 3 1/2" steel loads for the 10 and 12.

Completely agree with you economically I can't really make it worthwhile the more i look and I do like the super steels and as there affordable it does make me think it's a pointless exercise loading the 32g loads the more i think about it.

I do however really enjoy tinkering and have wanted to get in to reloading as a little side hobby in spare time for an hour here and there, I wouldn't be reloading huge quantities only probably a slab per month if that so I would quite like to reload something along the lines of a 37g BB load in 3 inch cartridge. I'd also like to get a little .410 for rabbits so i'd enjoy making some different loads for that further down the line.

I don't get out to shoot vast amounts of pigeons/ducks or geese so its more of a hobby for me than a requirement to keep costs down.

I just like tinkering and something about reloading really entices me, no need for me to rush into buying components until I'm happy with a load.

8 minutes ago, Matty89 said:

cheers mate ill have a look.

Completely agree with you economically I can't really make it worthwhile the more i look and I do like the super steels and as there affordable it does make me think it's a pointless exercise loading the 32g loads the more i think about it.

I do however really enjoy tinkering and have wanted to get in to reloading as a little side hobby in spare time for an hour here and there, I wouldn't be reloading huge quantities only probably a slab per month if that so I would quite like to reload something along the lines of a 37g BB load in 3 inch cartridge. I'd also like to get a little .410 for rabbits so i'd enjoy making some different loads for that further down the line.

I don't get out to shoot vast amounts of pigeons/ducks or geese so its more of a hobby for me than a requirement to keep costs down.

I just like tinkering and something about reloading really entices me, no need for me to rush into buying components until I'm happy with a load.

250 per month? Sounds like you do shoot a fair bit!

9 minutes ago, motty said:

250 per month? Sounds like you do shoot a fair bit!

I only shoot about 250 a month on the clays not out in the field unfortunately not even a fraction of that amount infact.

I'd just like to reload that many a month or so to get a decent supply stored up for a few wildfowling days out in the future as i'd like to get out on the foreshore for some proper days out.

Edited by Matty89