Just Put In For A Variation - Essex

Brad93

Just put in for a variation to my firearms cert. Adding on a .223 Rem. Only have a .17 and .22 at the minute so not a standard variation.

Will be interesting to hear how quickly it is turned around, they done my renewal pretty quick last September.

Also does anyone know if you have to send more passport photographs for a variation?

14 minutes ago, Rst1990 said:

A few variations I’ve put in are around a month.

But it all depends, has the land been cleared for 223? And do you have any past experience with the  calibre? 

Certificate is open for my rimfires. 

One permission is cleared up to .243. 

No experience of the calibre, but is required for foxes. 

4 minutes ago, Brad93 said:

Certificate is open for my rimfires. 

One permission is cleared up to .243. 

No experience of the calibre, but is required for foxes. 

My land wasn’t cleared although I thought it was as a previous shooter was taking deer with 243, found out that his licence was open so land never got checked.

my Feo asked if I had experience with the calibre and told him that I had been a visitor at Bisley using 223 & 243 he was happy with this and granted my variation.

2 hours ago, Rst1990 said:

My land wasn’t cleared although I thought it was as a previous shooter was taking deer with 243, found out that his licence was open so land never got checked.

my Feo asked if I had experience with the calibre and told him that I had been a visitor at Bisley using 223 & 243 he was happy with this and granted my variation.

Interesting, I know people with cebtrefires so wouldn’t be hard to get the experience. 

Can you do a range day at bisley and use one of their rifles? 

Pretty sure this bit of land is cleared, if was some time ago I got my FAC but my feo looked at my other bits of land apart from that one stating it was already cleared for centrefires. Not a problem if not. 

3 hours ago, Brad93 said:

Interesting, I know people with cebtrefires so wouldn’t be hard to get the experience. 

Can you do a range day at bisley and use one of their rifles? 

Pretty sure this bit of land is cleared, if was some time ago I got my FAC but my feo looked at my other bits of land apart from that one stating it was already cleared for centrefires. Not a problem if not. 

Not shore about bisley range days I went with a group and signed in as a guest.

thing is I told him that I have been to bisley and shot friends rifles etc..... but he didn’t ask for proof, the only proof I could have given was a friend calling him and say “he did shoot my rifle” lol

after x amount of time using rimfire I would have thought you have proven your safe anyway, all guns are dangerous a rimfire will kill  no quicker than a centrefire. 

I’ve had rimfires for 6 years, never had an issue. Didn’t even have an interview or a chat on the phone on renewal? 

Had a look at bisley they don’t seem to do a beginners course or anything like that sadly. 

I’ll ask around see if anyone wants to come shoot some foxes and let me do a bit of target practice with a centrefire in return. 

It’s nice to get out and shoot bigger guns because we all love shooting guns but you’ve been shooting a 22, they may not have the perceived lethality and range of a 223 but I’d argue they’re more dangerous for that reason. People would be more willing to take a dodgy shot with a silenced 22 that sounds and feels like an air rifle than with something bigger that makes a bit of a bang and recoils a little bit. If you’re a fundamentally safe shot with a 22 then you should be a safe shot with a 223. 

2 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

It’s nice to get out and shoot bigger guns because we all love shooting guns but you’ve been shooting a 22, they may not have the perceived lethality and range of a 223 but I’d argue they’re more dangerous for that reason. People would be more willing to take a dodgy shot with a silenced 22 that sounds and feels like an air rifle than with something bigger that makes a bit of a bang and recoils a little bit. If you’re a fundamentally safe shot with a 22 then you should be a safe shot with a 223. 

My thoughts exactly Ben, the .22LR still has a lethal range of god knows what. The .17HMR has a lethal range of 2km or something like that it says on the Hornady box.