Oh dear! The country will grind to a halt!

Lord Geordie

1 hour ago, Lord Geordie said:

It's more than a flake! Schools will close, public transport will run off, roads will be impassible, kids will stay in and watch TV, and the world will watch and laugh!

IMG_1622.PNG

Yep its a total joke 6 years in Germany snow plows out 24/7 far more snow and far colder than we ever get but here :no:.Ze Germans carry on nowt closes here we all go to pieces and have car chaos ,snow chains in Lidl or Aldi but no 1 buys or uses .Everyone sells out of de icer and anti freeze but who,s using it ?.We are a laughing stock when it snows a half inch

When it snows often enough to justify the expense of the infrastructure to keep things functional in an inch of snow things will change. Until then I would prefer my tax goes on expenditure that generates better return.

German style systems require enormous amounts of kit, massively more gritters and staff for them, heated runways, dramatically more deicing kit, and that is just on an infrastructure level. People who care enough here can readily and cheaply buy snow chains or socks but dont want the expenditure suggesting pretty strongly they wont want to pay more tax to cover it either.

6 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

When it snows often enough to justify the expense of the infrastructure to keep things functional in an inch of snow things will change. Until then I would prefer my tax goes on expenditure that generates better return.

German style systems require enormous amounts of kit, massively more gritters and staff for them, heated runways, dramatically more deicing kit, and that is just on an infrastructure level. People who care enough here can readily and cheaply buy snow chains or socks but dont want the expenditure suggesting pretty strongly they wont want to pay more tax to cover it either.

yes to all that Wb 23

watched the news showing a lorry or tipper truck sliding down the hill unable to stop, so yes its a bit of a joke, but if the roads aren't maintained to begin with there not going to spend millions for a weeks worth of snow once every few years

Not sure what to make of it really.

The gritters grit the roads, but the grit is only effective if vehicles then drive on it. The police tell us not to drive unless it’s a necessity ( getting to work is a necessity for many ) which isn’t part of that services remit as far as I’m concerned. So what to do? ?

6 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

i sometimes wonder how much money would be saved and how much richer the country as a whole would be if we abandoned this health and safety nonsense and replaced it with what we used to use years ago,COMMON SENSE,and just get on with life

The headmistress at a local school wouldn't put grit out on an icy path  because that would indicate she knew it was dangerous and would be liable if someone fell over.

sliding about on an icy path was one of the pleasures of my childhood. Sure I fell over a lot to begin with but I had great fun.