foxing

spanj

sad story. i have said recently that people will be paying for foxing before long and here we have it. i am lucky to have a lot of permission. well i say lucky i and a mate of mine put in a huge amount of effort to keep landowners happy. i would say to you all be very careful who you take out with you. in the past 20 years i have had 2 different individuals go behind my back and try and gain my permission:mad:. they lost all the shooting they had with me and the experience they needed. it amazes me how desperate some people can be for ground to shoot over. but i guess it has alot to do with there experience and knowledge that there eager to gain. i no longer take anyone shooting with me except a few guys that i have shot with for years.

as for paying for fox shooting i see it becoming more common. foxing related products are a huge buisness. with lots of companies making big advertising ventures and loads of related articles in the shooting media. it has become a big fieldsport of its own with more people gaining licenses the demand for land will increase.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

That is sickening news and I'm very sorry for you to hear of it.

My circumstances are the opposite. My father wandered into the farmyard with the intention of asking the farmer if he could shoot vermin there when he heard his name called. He turned around and there was an old school friend who he hadn't seen for well over 40 years. It was the farmer's wife and 'nuff said. I came home having retired from the RAF and tagged on. All of the parents are gone now but I still shoot for the son. One day within 20 minutes of being called I had shot a dog and vixen which were heading with evil intent towards the free range laying hens. There were two separate syndicates on the land who in real tems didn't do anything useful and my farmer really didn't take too kindly to them but the land in question was tenanted with the rights retained by the estate so there wasn't much he could do about it. However, coincidentally and for different reasons a few months later both groups packed it in and immediately he heard the farmer asked to have the rights put onto his tenancy agreement. When I saw him a couple of days later he told me what had happened and said that's for you as a thankyou from me.

The reason I mention all of this is because, A. it makes me realise how lucky I am having read of your plight and B. hopefully to remind you that there are still some good folk out there and  with a bit of luck you'll come across someone who will enable you to put this awful upset behind you. Good luck, and I hope, good shooting.

Cheers Wymberley, you're right you are lucky and good luck to you. You're also right that there are some very good people on here

33 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

sad story. i have said recently that people will be paying for foxing before long and here we have it. i am lucky to have a lot of permission. well i say lucky i and a mate of mine put in a huge amount of effort to keep landowners happy. i would say to you all be very careful who you take out with you. in the past 20 years i have had 2 different individuals go behind my back and try and gain my permission:mad:. they lost all the shooting they had with me and the experience they needed. it amazes me how desperate some people can be for ground to shoot over. but i guess it has alot to do with there experience and knowledge that there eager to gain. i no longer take anyone shooting with me except a few guys that i have shot with for years.

as for paying for fox shooting i see it becoming more common. foxing related products are a huge buisness. with lots of companies making big advertising ventures and loads of related articles in the shooting media. it has become a big fieldsport of its own with more people gaining licenses the demand for land will increase.

I hope you are wrong but fear you are not. The worst part for me is knowing he'll **** it up and not bother at all in the end. Got to say I was and still am VERY surprised at the farmer who I thought more of.

3 hours ago, davewh100 said:

really feel for you mate, has for just a tex from the farmer that's gutless hope you find something eles fairly quick, did you find what the other lad paid 

No idea what he paid but I just cant get my head round paying for it at all tbh

3 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

I know how it feels Spanj, i have three small bits of permission that i get around regular the whole year doing the rats, rabbits, pigeons, crows and the odd fox. I get round them all months, i lost another last year when informed the neighboring shoot had offered up dosh for it and to do the vermin. Speaking to one of my farmers who knows this farmer says he said his crops getting hammered now as no one has done anything. I Had been going there for last 15 years very regularly and at short notice for other bits of rented land. 

Hopefully you will get sorted, some offers from fellow pwer's by the looks.

atb

7diaw

Yeah some very good people on here mate.

1 hour ago, bigcat243 said:

hi mate bigcat here just joined so dont know how to contact you off site i e no phone numbers  to be given    might have some way of keeping you shooting and you ticket  cheers

PM'd you mate

I had a nice 100 acre farm and he got me in contact with a couple at the rear of the farm that had a bout 20 acres that bordered a motorway and was good for 1000 rabbits a year then builders bought him out and he bought two farms twenty miles away after a few years sold one and semi retired on the 120 acre farm  one day while ferreting the ditch at the farm house the farmer was waiting at my car when i got back . And says Bob there was a guy came to see me during the summer and i told him i would think about it  im going to let the farm for deer stalking . Its only 120 acre theres  often a buck and doe and twins dotting about im thinking this guy will have to kill them all to get any return on his money and like this farmer even needed the rent money 

14 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

sad story. i have said recently that people will be paying for foxing before long and here we have it. i am lucky to have a lot of permission. well i say lucky i and a mate of mine put in a huge amount of effort to keep landowners happy. i would say to you all be very careful who you take out with you. in the past 20 years i have had 2 different individuals go behind my back and try and gain my permission. they lost all the shooting they had with me and the experience they needed. it amazes me how desperate some people can be for ground to shoot over. but i guess it has alot to do with there experience and knowledge that there eager to gain. i no longer take anyone shooting with me except a few guys that i have shot with for years.

Problem is if you're right - and I'm not doubting you for one minute - as there's a finite amount of land which for various reasons is shrinking then inevitably sooner or later it'll all end in tears.

Most farmers now know that they can make some cash from of any type of shooting and if some desperate (green) shooter with a bit of spare cash is willing to pay for it and you’re not, then unless you own the land or you are a close relative (family) you are just another shooter, I do find that the younger farmer (30ish) tend to-be a little less loyal to the long term shooter/s of their land.

There’s a farm (97arces) about 4 miles from me, its about as productive as a football field with regards to shooting anything, there’s two lads who shoot it and they are paying £250 each per year for the privilege.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

1. I don't suppose you can blame any businessman for maximising his business profits.

2. I bet that £500 isn't on the books

3. Greed is increasingly endemic in the UK - I blame Maggie.

And it would be too much to hope that the Farmer might have some ethics!

Which at least Maggie did.

I had a similar thing happen on a poultry farm. I charged them £150 per fox and someone started doing it for free. They only lasted a month they turned when it got dark and left before 12.and never saw a fox. Iam back there now and charge them £175 per fox. The farmer has learnt a lesson . 

26 minutes ago, bornfree said:

I had a similar thing happen on a poultry farm. I charged them £150 per fox and someone started doing it for free. They only lasted a month they turned when it got dark and left before 12.and never saw a fox. Iam back there now and charge them £175 per fox. The farmer has learnt a lesson . 

Don't think I'm taking the mick, but what happens when they loose birds? Do they bill you.

Back to the op looks like PW is stepping up and helping you out, hope you come out sorted.

14 hours ago, bornfree said:

If your out 5 or 6 hours waiting £175 is a bargain

And iam protecting geese that are worth £80 each at Christmas

Fair enough. Nice work if you can get it. I know a few pro pest controllers in London and even at London prices aren't charging or getting anything like that. 

If I could get that kind of money, I'd give up work. 

7 hours ago, walshie said:

Fair enough. Nice work if you can get it. I know a few pro pest controllers in London and even at London prices aren't charging or getting anything like that. 

If I could get that kind of money, I'd give up work. 

Its not good money really. The farmer rings me in the morning and tell me the exact pen the fox has been in, I then drive over to the farm that evening move my tractor and tower into p!ace. Then drive home and drive back again about 10.30pm get up the tower and wait until the fox turns up ( very rarely before 1am ) and if it doesn't I go home at first light and repeat the next night.

On 1/19/2018 at 21:09, Mice! said:

Don't think I'm taking the mick, but what happens when they loose birds? Do they bill you.

Back to the op looks like PW is stepping up and helping you out, hope you come out sorted.

Cheers Mice, as I've said before there are some really good people on here