Lightweight shotguns

Evening all,

I have a beretta ultralight and I shoot ok with it, I swapped it for 2 drives on Monday for a silver pigeon.  I found the weight night and day and its one of the things I love about the ultralight is that its fast and swingable but I find it very hard to shoot clays with the darn thing. I cant afford a seperate clay gun so are there any compramise guns weight wise?? I couldnt handle the weight of a silver pigeon for a full day. I have shot a 20g but was very poor with it!!

40 minutes ago, novice cushie shooter said:

Evening all,

I have a beretta ultralight and I shoot ok with it, I swapped it for 2 drives on Monday for a silver pigeon.  I found the weight night and day and its one of the things I love about the ultralight is that its fast and swingable but I find it very hard to shoot clays with the darn thing. I cant afford a seperate clay gun so are there any compramise guns weight wise?? I couldnt handle the weight of a silver pigeon for a full day. I have shot a 20g but was very poor with it!!

You are saying that you can not afford a 'clay gun', BUT. you would have to add some cash to the ultralight to get a decent deal. Why not just look for a decent Beretta 303 semi auto M/C  ? There was a decent one in our local gunshop recently at £350, looked in reasonable condition. I have 1/4 choke in my 303 and manage rather well at clays with it. Look for a 'sporter' model at around   7  1/4lbs. it is a good weight for clays. Keep the ultralight for carrying around, carry the auto around in a gunslip.

Edited by Westley

I feel that without asking several personal questions that forming an answer is very difficult . I have been involved with gun fitting for many years , there are so many factors to consider there is no "one answer" . I seriously suggest you need to have a session with a good instructor /gun fitter as you may have habits that are against you that can be simply cured by alteration of your mount and stance or a simple stock alteration . I have found light weight guns a lot harder to be consistent with in mounting and that you do not always "hang on " to them tight enough. 

As said numerous things that can be spotted in a few minutes by looking at and speaking to  a person that can not be addressed on a forum .

Most clay guns definitely go toward the heavy side of things. Even lady clay guns are often quite heavy compared to a game gun..

Perhaps hitting the gym is the key here -- I'm not trying to be impolite; there's quite a few muscle groups involved in shooting, and working these out a bit does wonder -- in my experience! You get stronger, get better control of the gun, and can shoot more. What's not to like ;-)

Thanks for the replies. I intend having more lessons with Stewart Cumming shortly so will have a discussion with him about it see what he thinks. I have a plate in my right arm and muscle and nerve damage which do hinder my movement and lifting/swing, I do a very manual job so upper body wide im as good as its getting (belly not so much), advice on hitting the gym isn't impolite!

Cheers gordon

Gordon,

I shoot a lightish (s/s) and there are a few key things;

• Use suitably light ammunition - I use 21g in a 12 bore
  • Light guns are fast and instinctive, so concentrate on the TARGET - and if the gun fits you  - it will be there fast. - If you 'see' the gun, it will slow you and its hard to use a light gun 'slowly'.
  • If it doesn't fit, you won't find it easy to do well - Fit is (in my view) MORE important in a light gun - due to its speed.

Light guns suit fast instinctive shooting.  Slow measured and deliberately aimed shooting isn't what they are about.  Note that these are personal views - and not everyone may agree!

Ok light guns show a miriade of sins hidden by the heavier gun and  often not noticed on game, I missed that one as it curled it was a fun line etc but maybe also same reason you miss on clays if that makes sense.  It's hard to find 10 pairs of pheasants that fly to order on the same time back to back!  

A field gun may offer a compromise (you don't say which model SP didn't work for you) or actually learning to adapt to a heavier but not heavy gun in the field is also not to hard.   

Time spent with a good coach and good targets with a selection of demo guns is likely to offer some answers on good options but also possible faults in your style.  

35 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Gordon,

I shoot a lightish (s/s) and there are a few key things;

• Use suitably light ammunition - I use 21g in a 12 bore
  • Light guns are fast and instinctive, so concentrate on the TARGET - and if the gun fits you  - it will be there fast. - If you 'see' the gun, it will slow you and its hard to use a light gun 'slowly'.
  • If it doesn't fit, you won't find it easy to do well - Fit is (in my view) MORE important in a light gun - due to its speed.

Light guns suit fast instinctive shooting.  Slow measured and deliberately aimed shooting isn't what they are about.  Note that these are personal views - and not everyone may agree!

That`s it in a nutshell !

I shoot lwt s/s in a totally different way to an 8lb o/u sporter,fit is most important with the lwt.

Ok light guns show a miriade of sins hidden by the heavier gun and  often not noticed on game, I missed that one as it curled it was a fun line etc but maybe also same reason you miss on clays if that makes sense.  It's hard to find 10 pairs of pheasants that fly to order on the same time back to back!  

A field gun may offer a compromise (you don't say which model SP didn't work for you) or actually learning to adapt to a heavier but not heavy gun in the field is also not to hard.   

Time spent with a good coach and good targets with a selection of demo guns is likely to offer some answers on good options but also possible faults in your style.  

It was the sp2 I tried.  I currently use the ultralight as a game gun and shoot 30/32g 5s/6s through it. I have no recoil issues with it. Ive even shot 42g at geese and never noticed an increase in recoil. It fits well as checked at my first lesson with Stewart. I really like how fast it feels. I will arrange to try a few at my next lesson. Thanks for the input gents

I use a whitewing onyx Beretta again a very light O/U and am happy with it ,but also use a SX3 for big stuff ,nice fit no recoil issues and great range with an Anaconda choke .Suggestions are good but it all depends on what fits you best ,Dai is spot on as usual ,trial error and a good coach will improve you no end atb 

On 18/01/2018 at 20:25, novice cushie shooter said:

Evening all,

I would get the fit checked and for both clay and game, opt for some lighter loads, possibly slightly tighter choked to compensate.

A light, tighter choked gun can take a little while to 'learn', but it is a pleasure when you get there with it. I've been using a 28 bore for the past 2 years on game and clays and never feel under gunned.

Cheers

Clive