Shotguns on Boar

Grange1905

G'day..

Another question on the beloved pigs -

Can you legally shoot boar in England and Wales using a shotgun (Section 2)?

I've been invited on a driven boar hunt in the continent and all we used were 12g magnum shotguns, shooting "9's" (9mm diameter shot, I believe UK SG size equiv.)

I asked my RFD and he's certain you can do it using a slug, but that is classed as Section 1 ammunition, so unavailable to me.

And just to clarify- this question is purely out of interest.

A slug will do the job if you do but personally I think LGs or similar , get it wrong and Mr Boar will come over and give you a good sucking. Shot a few, 16 sets of the better tusks on my study wall and believe me they sometimes don't accept that they are dead.  Regarding the legal side of things, I don't believe there is a legal situation in the UK yet. 

I'd imagine a big difference would be in Europe the boar will most likely to be driven, so ur shooting a moving target at closeish range.

Even feeding a bait point from a high seat I doubt the ranges would be as close. Plus u would be shooting a static target so most folk would choose a rifle instead

They say solid slugs can be very accurate.

I'd agree with walker above pigs can be hard as hell and can take some stopping and also the legal system is a mess reguarding them (my force refuses to beiee they exist and are just feral pigs so can be shot without being added to ur ticket) much of it is purely advisory.

I’ve shot boar with solid slug,  .25-06, .308, .30-06 and 7mm and my least favourite was the solid slug.

On the continent (and in particular France) they just do not care. Take a 12 gauge shotgun and a handful of whatever they are using (most likely slugs) and don’t stress it.

If you get the option to use a rifle then use that instead.

Edit

Just re-Read and seen you’re shooting in the UK so ignore all of that but do do yourself a favour and get hold of a rifle.

Edited by Mungler

Another thing to bear in mind (althou I don't know about france) many other countries have dedicated highly trained tracking teams to follow up any injured boar (bit like pickers up on game shoots)

Some of the best german hounds have tracked boar for 40-50km's and on scent trails 48hrs old.

Althou both the UKSHA and UKDTR are now offering similar free service in this country for wounded boar and deer

I hope we will all agree the aim of shooting anything is to kill it as quickly and cleanly as possible. Yes, I've been there a number of times where a dog has been required, non of us are perfect but I would not use 'shot' for shooting wild boar. I have shot a lot of rifle slug in the past and they are quite accurate out to 75yrds and very effective. I prefer a rifle and my wild boar rifle is either my 375JDJ or my 8x57JRS shooting / using 250gr in the 375  or 160gr in the 8x57  Barnes TTSX and that bullet shoots above it's weight.

With regards to legallity, then contact your Licensing Office by e mail, that way you get a written reply you can print out. Job done.

Not sure about the legality of using your shotgun.

But i would rather use a rifle, I generally use 30.06 150 SST but i'm giving a 9.3x62 a go with 286 grain paper weights. Quite a few comments have been made about Boar not wanting to give up once shot, if you dont hit the vitals they will run on (hopefully not in your direction) and they will keep going. Seen plenty hit with solid slugs, poor shot placement, you would not believe how they keep going sometimes. 

It does seem the info on shooting boar with a shotgun is a little thin on the ground but according to the latest “best particle guide” it looks like you can use a shotgun loaded with AAA or SSG…http://www.wild-boar.org.uk/guide_list/

This was taken from an article in the sporting press 2016.

WILD BOAR ON YOUR FAC

Wild boar do not come under the classification of ‘game’ or ‘vermin’. Having these on your firearms certificate does not allow you to shoot wild boar legally.

In order to shoot wild boar in Britain your firearms certificate must specifically state ‘wild boar’. (not sure if “any lawful quarry” now covers this?)

A certificate to shoot wild boar is only granted for .308 .270 and 30/06 calibre weapons.

However, if you intend to use 12-bore solid-slug shotgun ammunition this also has to be on your firearms certificate.

Before a ‘wild boar’ certificate is issued, the land on which the applicant is applying to shoot wild boar on will be surveyed for signs of the animal.

Anyone applying to get wild boar added to their FAC will have to satisfy the Enquiry Officer that they are experienced in most aspects of shooting.

12 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Not only 308, 270 and 30.06..

Any of those listed and larger will also suffice. 

True:good: but why the restrictions on FAC, yet it looks like anyone can go and shoot boar with a shotgun loaded with the above ammo, AAA or SSG?

On 20/01/2018 at 14:56, old'un said:

It does seem the info on shooting boar with a shotgun is a little thin on the ground but according to the latest “best particle guide” it looks like you can use a shotgun loaded with AAA or SSG…http://www.wild-boar.org.uk/guide_list/

I did find this linked on the gov website. But nothing set in stone.

Seems to be a huge hole in the law...

Wild Boar is not a native species in this country so my attitude would be 'show me where it says I can't' but frankly I wouldn't want to go after a boar with a shotgun.

Slugs are very big and you would imagine they should pack a lot of wallop but actually they don't have the velocity. They only bumble along. Killing power comes from velocity not weight.  

Edited by Vince Green

4 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Wild Boar is not a native species in this country so my attitude would be 'show me where it says I can't' but frankly I wouldn't want to go after a boar with a shotgun.

Slugs are very big and you would imagine they should pack a lot of wallop but actually they don't have the velocity. They only bumble along. Killing power comes from velocity not weight.  

Vince, have you seen Boar hit with a shotgun slug at all ? 

I can only presume that you haven't, they pack a punch, and a big one at that. An once and a bit of lead makes a big hole and the weight retains enough energy to punch its way through some bloody big boar. 

19 minutes ago, Dougy said:

I can only presume that you haven't, they pack a punch, and a big one at that. An once and a bit of lead makes a big hole and the weight retains enough energy to punch its way through some bloody big boar. 

Dougy . You took the words right out of my mouth , 

give me  a semi auto , a rifled barel , and a   OpalMagnum ( Brenneke) any day , been there , done it . 

Distance   0 25 50 75 100
Velocity (m/s) 491 433 384 345 318
Energy (J) 5184 4026 3166 2564 2173
Trajectory (cm) -5,00 +1,10 +4,00 +2,70 -3,80

Edit to say , the black magic are pretty special too ?

Edited by stevo

13 hours ago, Dougy said:

No but I have seen a lot of whitetail deer in America shot with slugs. Part of the early season in some states you are only allowed to use shotguns for some reason, I can't think why for the life of me. The number of wounded deer it produces every year is terrible.

In New York State some of the more populated areas like the northern part of the state around Syracuse, Buffalo and Rochester are shotgun and muzzle loader only for deer. I was not at all impressed, I saw a lot of runners 

mind you, you can hunt bear over there with a handgun.....................

Edited by Vince Green

You can shoot wild boar in this country with a .22 if you wanted to there is no legal caliber as yet to shoot boar i was doing it with a243 and was told by my FLO i was not breaking the law'

They recommend you use a 270 and above and you don't have to have it on your licence   to shoot boar 

3 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

You can shoot wild boar in this country with a .22 if you wanted to (IF YOUR WERE STUPID ENOUGH TO ) there is no legal caliber as yet to shoot boar i was doing it with a243 and was told by my FLO i was not breaking the law'

They recommend you use a 270 and above and you don't have to have it on your licence   to shoot boar