Shotguns on Boar

Grange1905

Guest cookoff013

From an energy point, 1.5oz breneck has about 2200-2500 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. That's .a lot. It's just about accuracy and shot placement. 

Don't judge, but the youtube videos make it look fun

No matter what caliber you choose shot placement is paramount, in the right circumstances large shotgun shot will be more than enough, ten or so 9mm lead balls are going to hit hard. If driven or under twenty yards and place well I cant see a boar surviving the shot.

On 29/01/2018 at 13:12, figgy said:

No matter what caliber you choose shot placement is paramount, in the right circumstances large shotgun shot will be more than enough, ten or so 9mm lead balls are going to hit hard. If driven or under twenty yards and place well I cant see a boar surviving the shot.

The law in that country only permits to shoot boar with shot when driven. Boar are driven to a line of guns and ~9mm shot did the job perfectly.

Even if permited to use slugs none of the guns wanted them - shotgun for running, rifle for stationary was their policy.

As said by many on this post there is no legal calibre or muzzle energy for boar as yet, Gloucestershire force ( Glos probably having the biggest boar population in UK) have fought to have named species on ticket rather than Any other legal quarry but this now seems to be changing. Just remember if you shoot a boar with a .22lr and injury it causing unnecessary suffering you could still be hauled in on a animal cruelty crime.

I am not aware of any ammo/calibre/energy regulations on shooting Boar in the UK, there are an assortment of Guides/suggestions.  So the answer to the question is yes.

I am over in France quite regularly and the shotgun/slug combination is common with the locals in the country areas, never been on a driven hunt there, just countryside weekend hunting, it's pretty common in a lot or rural areas, although a lot of rifles are in evidence as well.

I prefer a rifle, and whatever suggestions are made about AAA or SG or SSG I'm not entirely convinced (but I've not tried), those Boar are tuff and bulky, decent rifle ammo with penetration, well placed, works for me.

:good:

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 14:56, old'un said:

It does seem the info on shooting boar with a shotgun is a little thin on the ground but according to the latest “best particle guide” it looks like you can use a shotgun loaded with AAA or SSG…http://www.wild-boar.org.uk/guide_list/

This was taken from an article in the sporting press 2016.

WILD BOAR ON YOUR FAC

Wild boar do not come under the classification of ‘game’ or ‘vermin’. Having these on your firearms certificate does not allow you to shoot wild boar legally.

In order to shoot wild boar in Britain your firearms certificate must specifically state ‘wild boar’. (not sure if “any lawful quarry” now covers this?)

A certificate to shoot wild boar is only granted for .308 .270 and 30/06 calibre weapons.

However, if you intend to use 12-bore solid-slug shotgun ammunition this also has to be on your firearms certificate.

Before a ‘wild boar’ certificate is issued, the land on which the applicant is applying to shoot wild boar on will be surveyed for signs of the animal.

Anyone applying to get wild boar added to their FAC will have to satisfy the Enquiry Officer that they are experienced in most aspects of shooting.

AOLQ or ALQ definitely covers Boar, that's what it says!

On top of that, a couple of renewals back when my FAC came back with the condition AOLQ (which was new to me then) I noticed Boar had disappeared from my larger calibres and it only went as far as Deer.  I was straight on the phone to my region and assured they simply listed the main quarry now and "ANY OTHER Lawful Quarry" meant EXACTLY what it said!