Amazing Shot with .22lr

Evil Elvis

On 18/01/2018 at 23:19, Evil Elvis said:

I have been shooting with a PW member for just over a year now, we became mates after he had a couple of Bracco’s from me. He tried out my hmr and .22, enjoyed em and now has his own.

Tonight while I was stalking munti and fox he brought his .22lr. He a bloody good shot in a single leg trigger stick,!

He spotted a bunny and said how far do you reckon that is? I said too far for that! He said he was going to have a pop and ha thought 120 yards, as he took the shot I put my yardage pro above his head and pop he got it!!!!  168 yards I paced it as 167 so pretty spot on! Gobsmacked head shot too!

bloody natural......***!!!!!!

Really? G I t is swearing?

the OP(experienced shot) told the"novice" that the shot was too far but novice still took the shot??

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why hasn't everyone who has replied to this thread said 'great shot well done' instead of doubting and dissecting.

Hands up those experienced shots who have not attempted to shoot live quarry that they considered to be at the extreme limit or even beyond their capabilities.

16 minutes ago, JDog said:

Why hasn't everyone who has replied to this thread said 'great shot well done' instead of doubting and dissecting.

Hands up those experienced shots who have not attempted to shoot live quarry that they considered to be at the extreme limit or even beyond their capabilities.

in my opinion taking risky shots should not be congratulated

Don't get me wrong, I'm a great fan of the humble .22lr, there should be one in every shooters cabinet. I've been shooting it for nearly 60 years, rifle, pistol, competition and in the field but, blessed with laser like accuracy, it is not.

It does it's job exceedingly well, especially since it's barely changed in design for 120 years, indeed the Captain of the Cutty Sark and Abraham Lincoln would both be quite familiar with the cartridge. As a pest control or small game round it's hard to beat, cheap, available, almost silent in sub-sonic/moderator mode and accurate enough to be useful. As a competition round it works because there is a relatively level playing field - No matter what level you are shooting at, if you are taking it seriously, you could afford the best ammunition and be on par with even the best international shots as far as equipment goes, the rest is down to you.

The competition targets are scaled to take into account the inherent lack of accuracy - I don't think the NSRA 100 yard target has changed in 40 years - yes, I know with electronic scoring we have decimal scoring but the 10 ring is still the same size.

Here's an interesting video of batch testing Eley match ammunition. Again, high quality match rifle, highest quality match ammunition money can buy, and perfect conditions, rifle clamped and still air - all shot at 50 yards. Many groups are 20mm (These are measured edge to edge, not centre to centre)

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Because it wasn't a great shot it was a terrible one. That could have had many dire consequences. I dont know the land but anyone who has a crack at a rabbit far to far away in the dark and underestimates the aim point by 2 foot .should think hard before pulling the trigger again .

The fact that a rabbit died is irrelevant .And is why no one is discussing that bit .the experienced shot  should have said " no dont shoot " 

Now that would have been a good action worthy of praise .

How about a story of how he belly crawled into 55 yds and dropped it clean with lovely backstop .

Much applause would be given .

Oh and to the second part of that question .I haven't taken a stupid long range shot on anything since I was a kid shooting my old Diana springer .I learnt then that you have to work out what the gun does and get in range .And that range changes with the conditions. 

6 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Because it wasn't a great shot it was a terrible one. That could have had many dire consequences.

Oh and to the second part of that question .I haven't taken a stupid long range shot on anything since I was a kid shooting my old Diana springer .I learnt then that you have to work out what the gun does and get in range .And that range changes with the conditions. 

+1

2 hours ago, Stormhound said:
  • To conclude that it must been a ricochet that hit the Rabbit is utterly stupid and completely without foundation, based on nothing but ignorance of the facts. Incidentally facts nobody else but the OP and his mate are fully aware of.

•  

I would say given the info from the op .they were also totally unaware of the facts and conditions usually required to make such a shot in those conditions. 

How did I get to that ? 

Underestimating the range by 50 yds but still taking the shot . Shows a lack of reading the conditions .

It sounds like most contributors to this thread have given the shot more thought than was done on the night .

I will be shooting with him in the next few weeks, I will take a life sized rabbit target and recreate the conditions (which were very wet) but no wind.Ill get him to take 5 shots and Ill film it and show you the results. It maywell be a fluke but he has worked out all his mildots and hold overs etc (something I cant claim to do). I will post a picture of the results. To be fair the only time ive ever seen him miss with .22lr or HMR he hit a branch in front of the rabbit, am I jealous....yes muchly!

20 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Tell you what, I'm glad I go foxing on my own, if 1/2 of you lot were with me you would be swiping the rifle out of my hands as I set up for the shot.

Why would that be ? 

32 minutes ago, Evil Elvis said:

I will be shooting with him in the next few weeks, I will take a life sized rabbit target and recreate the conditions (which were very wet) but no wind.Ill get him to take 5 shots and Ill film it and show you the results. It maywell be a fluke but he has worked out all his mildots and hold overs etc (something I cant claim to do). I will post a picture of the results. To be fair the only time ive ever seen him miss with .22lr or HMR he hit a branch in front of the rabbit, am I jealous....yes muchly!

Elvis .thank you .

Please don't take any  of the above posts from me as a personal insult for it isn't supposed to be .I applaud your approach. And eagerly await the results of your experiment ..:good:

46 minutes ago, Evil Elvis said:

how did he work it out?,he thought it was 120 yards when it was actually 168 yards???

I quite frequently have a go at long range shot with .22lr and HMR but would never guess the range. If I don't know the range from my position I would always use a range finder and use my  range chart for holdover if need be. If the opportunity has gone by then that's no problem.

My point is I would not rely on guessing the range whatever it may be, my estimations vary, sometimes by a unacceptable margin.

I get great satisfaction from achieving a clean hit at long range depending on the calibre used and in still conditions , as wind drift is very difficult to judge accurately. I will add I certainly do not hit everything I shoot at.

From the facts given it would appear the OP'S mate had a (good)  lucky shot and I would suggest he take similar shots at differing ranges (with his own range estimations) and see the results.

The only problem with taking that shot was the fact that he totally misread the range by a great  amount and yet hit the target with a .22lr

That one example does not constitute a good shot by any standards unfortunately.

Edited by Good shot?
spelling edit.

33 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Maybe, just maybe, he realised that his original range estimate was out and corrected it before pulling the trigger.

So what your saying is. He first thought that looks 120 yds .then counted down say 4.5 mildots on his ret at 12x mag knowing that 4.5 mil is 120 yds in his gun .

But just before he shot .he went" hold on no that looks more like 167 yds".dash it  I dont have a dot for 167 yds on 12 x mag so with mental judo he wound down his mag to 9.5 x and used the last dot on the ret. Say no 7 .KNOWING that it correlates to 167 yds and fired. 

Now obviuosly I'm making up the ret as i don't know what he is shooting .

But that's the sort of thing he would have had to do(in that moment ) to still be sure of hitting the rabbit . 

Unless of course it was just luck and he held way over the rabbits head and took pop at it in the vain hope it would hit. 

Just for info .if he had guessed 162 yds instead of 167 (5 yds short. ).his bullet would have dropped 3.2 inches lower and a clean miss .

42 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Maybe, just maybe, he realised that his original range estimate was out and corrected it before pulling the trigger.

Or trusted his subconcious to do the calculation based on experience of sight picture, rifle and ammunition? The difference between an innate and a mechanical skill or being unconsciously competent rather than consciously competent.

4 minutes ago, TriBsa said:

Or trusted his subconcious to do the calculation based on experience of sight picture, rifle and ammunition? The difference between an innate and a mechanical skill or being unconsciously competent rather than consciously competent.

Sadly the doubters on this thread will never even contemplate such things.

3 hours ago, Evil Elvis said:

you do realise that youre just wasting your time ee ? lol , if they were stood at the side of you , and watched it happen , they would still say that its impossible lol.

edited to add, i bet youre so glad that you posted about your mates impressive shot lol.

Edited by mel b3