2018 Chilli Growing

lord_seagrave

My ‘Basque’ chillis are growing well, having been repotted a week ago. I’ll sow some more this weekend to keep on standby. Does anyone else successfully grow chillis in the open ground? If so, and you’ve got a few spare seeds, I’d be delighted to do a swap.

The tomato project is also really interesting. I saved seed from some delicious tomatoes that we grew last year (big brown ones that grew from a plant we bought from a stall at the side of the road, which, having done some research, may have been ‘Black Prince’), but only half germinated. Perfectionist that I am, I sowed more seeds in the cells that failed, of which about half germinated. Did it again, and, of course, ALL the original seeds have now appeared too!

So, if you are tempted to save tomato seed, be sure to give them the benefit of the doubt when sowing. And if anyone in the Milton Keynes area would like some extra tomato plants in three or four weeks’ time, just give me a shout! 

LS

CBD028C0-93F0-4455-BD60-250FACEDDF92.jpeg

I'm now clearing last year's chillies.  Most chilli variety fruits have dried but one, Poblano, still has some fruit on them which is 'fresh'.  The soil is dry and all of the leaves are long dead but I've just cut into one of the side shoots and it looks alive.

As an experiment to see if I can get a crop off the plants this year, what pruning or care should i give the plant?  

(Just had another look and I'm not so sure about the Poblano but the Habenero stems and some side shoots are very green and appear to be alive).

Edited by yod dropper

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 13:25, yod dropper said:

I'm now clearing last year's chillies.  Most chilli variety fruits have dried but one, Poblano, still has some fruit on them which is 'fresh'.  The soil is dry and all of the leaves are long dead but I've just cut into one of the side shoots and it looks alive.

As an experiment to see if I can get a crop off the plants this year, what pruning or care should i give the plant?  

(Just had another look and I'm not so sure about the Poblano but the Habenero stems and some side shoots are very green and appear to be alive).

No expert but i would give them plenty of time.

Last season i think i took way too much off the overwintered ones at once so this year have been more conservative and it seems to have worked.They dont take much water and just give when they seem very dry.

Havent had sun for near 2 weeks so seedlings just on the cill but still seem to be doing ok.

The toms are stretching and have staked but im trench planting them anyway so should be fine but they are looking for some sun as are the chillies.

Most chillies are fine but a few have just stalled very small so will probably weed them out.Couple of small bush varieties have arrived from eBay today so going to make another wee greenhouse on the kennel to keep these.

The F1 Apache overwintered is dripping in fruit and flowers and have been eating although again slow to ripen with lack of sun.

lctJMMA.jpg

iWjpKi8.jpg

1VmYMGa.jpg

ZFUgN7T.jpg

DfxBwHQ.jpg

7 hours ago, lord_seagrave said:

With the rather shy sun, my toms are as long as yours. Chillis doing a bit too well, with flower buds forming already! They’ve grown rather too fast (although looking very healthy indeed), and I’m not sure I’ll be able to plant them out before they set fruit.

pics to follow

LS

Some of my seedlings have just set first flowers which isnt good as will likely drop when put outside,going by last year.

Seriously needing some sun though.

4 hours ago, lord_seagrave said:

Chillis and toms going mental. At least another 6 weeks until they can go outside though.

3456_D115_3_C24_4_EB2_B08_F_647_B51355_E

LS

Looking very healthy.

My Toms were put out into the greenhouse at the weekend,around a week earlier than last year.

They are a fair bit hardier than the chillis but a decent frost would still impact them.

• 2 weeks later...

Toms and chillis in the greenhouse now and looking fine.

Fair bit of sun through the day so obviously some heat although night temps are around 2 degrees outside.

Thought the overwintered chilli might drop flowers with going outside but they are all fruiting and this years seedlings have fruit too with loads of flowers also.

bQqHHpA.jpg

7K6WP1i.jpg

4pm9mpL.jpg

DrfSiYC.jpg

NWTScwy.jpg

HmQlUsq.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Everything been in the greenhouse just shy of 3 weeks and looking way ahead of my usual for this time of year.

Plenty of sun most days allowing things to heat up so will be helping lots and glad i seeded everything earlier as its giving the chillies plenty time and some of the seedlings are already well on with fruits.We are getting ripe ones off the overwintered which is a bonus for this early.

Toms are strong and set trusses so hopefully they will fruit in plenty time too especially if we get a better summer.

z5Ojf3N.jpg

rXGEGd2.jpg

SBH0xzc.jpg

E3gH12m.jpg

NVy6oGi.jpg

L06Rtff.jpg

zL88Hrc.jpg

hKCGOpJ.jpg

Edited by sako751sg

• 1 month later...

8706_F87_B_5_AED_432_B_8_C7_B_D001563000
9_BBF2_F23_B116_4_DBD_9_CD7_8_B7670_AA15
B5_D1_BFA3_D506_4_FB7_9_F76_13_C007_DF9_

So the “Basque” chillis I sowed back in February motored away, and, before I was able to get the garden ready for them to plant out - had already started fruiting well.

Really tasty chillis, with medium heat and a nice fruity flavour.

I’ve started some more, which are now 6” tall, which I will plant outside this week. It’ll be interesting to see if the size/yield is markedly different.

My gardening goal is to grow a wide range of chillis and tomatoes outside, so: early, hardy, tasty specimens will have their seeds saved and in a few years I ought to get there.

Interestingly the saved seed from those big brown tomatoes has resulted in the sturdiest plants. Only “Indigo Rose” has fruited so far.

LS

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/06/2018 at 08:47, lord_seagrave said:

8706_F87_B_5_AED_432_B_8_C7_B_D001563000
9_BBF2_F23_B116_4_DBD_9_CD7_8_B7670_AA15
B5_D1_BFA3_D506_4_FB7_9_F76_13_C007_DF9_

So the “Basque” chillis I sowed back in February motored away, and, before I was able to get the garden ready for them to plant out - had already started fruiting well.

Really tasty chillis, with medium heat and a nice fruity flavour.

I’ve started some more, which are now 6” tall, which I will plant outside this week. It’ll be interesting to see if the size/yield is markedly different.

My gardening goal is to grow a wide range of chillis and tomatoes outside, so: early, hardy, tasty specimens will have their seeds saved and in a few years I ought to get there.

Interestingly the saved seed from those big brown tomatoes has resulted in the sturdiest plants. Only “Indigo Rose” has fruited so far.

LS

Good stuff and presuming these were grown inside or picking it up wrong?

Have been eating 2 kinds here and all the others looking well with plenty fruit and flowers.

Toms are very heavy fruited and just started eating them on Friday so an early crop for here.

Carrots getting pulled already and a good size and generally everything looking very healthy due to the fine spell.

EkTFs6V.jpg

7KkHBqs.jpg

ZhGLqnQ.jpg

PLCkuGw.jpg

lhcmsLs.jpg

iHkqkEI.jpg

anFnUQp.jpg

PTQmzRm.jpg

ojUIPz7.jpg

Hi Sako,

Yes, this first batch (February sowing) ended up fruiting inside as it was too wet and cold to put them outside.

I’ve since planted in the open ground, and I’ll see how they get on in the heat!

The second batch were sown about 6 weeks ago, and have also now been planted outside. Need to work on my timings next year, but the good news is that I’ve now got loads of self-pollenated seed to play about with.

:good:

Tomatoes finally went outside and the “Indigo Rose” are fruiting happily, with some (saved-seed) “Stripy” ones a close second.

LS