Fitting a shotgun cabinet

ilovemyheckler

I need to fit a cabinet into a new build house.

Can I fit it to a wall (plasterboard on lightweight blockwork so I am using threaded bar resin bonded into the blockwork) above the skirting?

I thought that only firearms rated rifles needed a cabinet fitted to the floor?

The house does have other security measures - alarm, etc

If fitting a cabinet it has to be fitted to the permanent fabric of the building. Your block work represents that. I’ve used threaded bar many a time with resin.

I’m not entirely sure about fitting above the skirting as it may make it easier to jack the cabinet free. Plus the weight of the cabinet will put unnecessary weight on your threaded bar. 

I would cut the skirting out so the cabinet sits on the floor and is supported.

The FEO may or may not hang off the cabinet to make sure it’s secure so if sat on the floor it has extra support.

The home office guidance is  'as far as is reasonably practical' and there are no specific directions, therefore if you have lightweight blocks it's ok to bolt to them. There is no requirement for floor bolts, but if you fit above the skirting you'd be well advised to make a floor frame to take the weight.

13 minutes ago, inthedark said:
The home office guidance is  'as far as is reasonably practical' and there are no specific directions, therefore if you have lightweight blocks it's ok to bolt to them. There is no requirement for floor bolts, but if you fit above the skirting you'd be well advised to make a floor frame to take the weight.

11 minutes ago, Scully said:

If you don’t want to cut your skirts just sit the cabinet on something the same height as the skirt and then it can be pushed flush to the wall.

This is exactly what I did with mine, built a wooden box to sit it on same hight as the skirting and the cabint, and bolted it to the wall (My wall is brick though), I drilled an additional 2 fixing holes. All passed by the FEO :good:

Or just use a backing batten to bring it flush with the skirting, that way it rests on the floor and no way of gett8ng a ‘car jack’ under to lever off the wall.

Its what we have done on the last four cabinets using full size as the cabinet plywood, always been accepted by the FEO

the wall mine is on is plastic bored . all i did was bonded a board onto the wall and drilled thought that and the plastic . the officer was very happy with that . 

There is no way it is coming off the wall . unless un bolted . 

my cabinet is also floating of the floor 

Edited by Doitwithstyle

5 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

never bolted one to the floor. Never been pulled on it either 

The home office guidance is  'as far as is reasonably practical'

If your cabinet has holes in the bottom to bolt it to the floor and you dont, are you being "as far as is reasonably practical"?

Don't get me wrong, im not saying your at fault for not doing it. I'm saying that most things in "Gun" law are not very clear and do you want to be the "test" case?? Unfortunately the only time you will be pulled/questioned on it is when the safe has been stolen, which is not the time you want to find out.

well to cut a long story short my brother has just lost his licence through reasons I won't make public. But the officers who came to open the cabinet (which I put in) couldn't get it off the wall. They were impressed. 

see attached photo of the cabinet they destroyed but notice the cabinet gave away before my fixings did. That's why I don't bother bolting to the floor if their compressor tool can't get em off. Just a ******* if you move house 

IMG-20171230-WA0012.jpeg

He had the cabinet keys locked in a draw at a place of work and access was out of hours. They wernt willing to wait.

Just shows that a cheap £80 cabinet of eBay took the police their jaws tool some getting into. You can see (just) at the bottom it's caved in. No idea what tool they tried there to get behind (sledge maybe?) but it bowed the cabinet in a treat. P

Fixing into proper old solid stone walls. I'm dreading getting the rest of that off of the wall if the **** of a brother ever answers his phone. I'm telling you family's are a pain sometimes:no:

5 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

He had the cabinet keys locked in a draw at a place of work and access was out of hours. They wernt willing to wait.

Just shows that a cheap £80 cabinet of eBay took the police their jaws tool some getting into. You can see (just) at the bottom it's caved in. No idea what tool they tried there to get behind (sledge maybe?) but it bowed the cabinet in a treat. P

Fixing into proper old solid stone walls. I'm dreading getting the rest of that off of the wall if the **** of a brother ever answers his phone. I'm telling you family's are a pain sometimes

looks a decent cabinet for £80 shame they had to destroy it

Mines fitted above the skirting, When FEO came round asked if I could build a plinth underneath the cabinet as someone could get a low profile car jack or crowbar under it and try and prise it off the wall. 

Although she did comment that she was just being picky as it would be likely the flooring would give way long before the cabinet would come off the wall. 

19 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Or just use a backing batten to bring it flush with the skirting, that way it rests on the floor and no way of gett8ng a ‘car jack’ under to lever off the wall.

I did this and it has always been fine for my inspections.  It is fixed (by LONG coach bolts into solid brick external wall and very large wood screws into the floor) to the wall and floor.  I was asked on one occasion to show the fixings, and the 'try to rock it to see if it moves' test has been applied several times.  The wood screws have limited strength (despite being into thick old fashioned floor boards), but as has been said, since holes were provided in the cabinet, leaving them unused might seem lacking.

Fitted mind above the skirting too

i didn’t bother with a frame but after I fitted it I hammered two (slightly larger than the skirting board) pieces of wood under the cabinet, it helped solidify everything and I don’t need to worry about the weight hanging off the wall